Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

Lozz196

ok, thanks guys!

I think the onus is on me to go and do my own homework as to [i]why [/i] electronics/physics works like this so I'll go and do that, but many thanks for the clarifications :) I'm sure my mate will offer, in the cold light of day and without 5 beers under his belt, an 'aaah you didnt say that', even though I told him the full details, but I will now be pushing both cabs at practice (at 4ohms!) and see how they go. cheers!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1291927' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:07 AM']I'll be interested to hear the results of that! I suspect that using the SP212 and Compact together will be quieter than the Compact on its own. If it isn't then there's probably something funny going on with the impedance switch.[/quote]
But surely the same wattage going into 2 cabs will be louder than 1 due to moving more air?

(put in a very simple way!)

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='1291939' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:13 AM']But surely the same wattage going into 2 cabs will be louder than 1 due to moving more air?

(put in a very simple way!)[/quote]

Normally, yes. But thanks to the impedance selecter on the OTB you can get fill power at either 4ohm or 8 ohm loads.

500W into the efficient Barefaced cab = Loud

500W split between the Barefaced (now receiving 250W) and the not so efficient isobaric cab (also receiving 250w) = not so loud.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1291939' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:13 AM']But surely the same wattage going into 2 cabs will be louder than 1 due to moving more air?[/quote]

It would normally. But it's either 500W into a cab that's 98dB sensitivity (@ 100Hz) or 250W into a 98dB sensitivity cab plus 250W into a 89dB sensitivity cab.

98dB + 500W = 125dB

(98dB + 250W = 122dB) + (89dB + 250W = 113dB) = ~123dB

That's in the lows. Who knows what is going on higher up because isobaric designs are normally only used for bass (i.e. true woofer & subwoofer) purposes!

hmm, for some reason I figured that'd be the case. i'm curious about tone really. I never go past 5 and 4 on volume/gain anyway, so can just push the volume up a little and see how the sounds balance. to be honest the SP is more of a luxury! the compact will always be my leave the house cab, cos it's so easy to move around and does the job just fine!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1291957' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:25 AM']It would normally. But it's either 500W into a cab that's 98dB sensitivity (@ 100Hz) or 250W into a 98dB sensitivity cab plus 250W into a 89dB sensitivity cab.

98dB + 500W = 125dB

(98dB + 250W = 122dB) + (89dB + 250W = 113dB) = ~123dB

That's in the lows. Who knows what is going on higher up because isobaric designs are normally only used for bass (i.e. true woofer & subwoofer) purposes![/quote]
I thought you were talking about running the compact on it's own on 4 ohms as well, meaning it'd be getting 250W either way!

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1294080' date='Jul 5 2011, 10:34 PM']So with a single 8OHM 400W cab what ohmage setting should I have it at?[/quote]

Run it at 8 ohms, but dont run it full on........ You'll have have more than enough headroom around half volume!!!

Nige

Speaking as a complete novice in these matters, Wayne, I just follow Alex's advice from many moons ago.

If it's an 8 Ohm cab, then set your amp to 8 Ohms. Turn up the volume to the desired level, If the cab starts making horrible and/or farty noises, just turn it down until the noise stops.

I don't see the point in deliberately removing a large chunk of your amp's output, and with it the headroom that most people find an OBT offers.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1295114' date='Jul 6 2011, 07:59 PM']I run mine at 8ohms through an 8ohm 200w TC cab at rehearsals. No problems at all.[/quote]

Exactly

It's very simple really..[size=4] listen to your cab[/size].. if you hear fartting.. turn it down.. :) I always find it funny how people blow a speaker, unless there was a fault with the amp.

I've used a 500w amp through a 150 speaker at 4 ohms

dunno where to say this, but I finally had both the Barefaced Compact AND the Orange SP212 running at 4ohm from the OTB.

PHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only needed a tad more volume to meet the normal Compact output (not a scientific term, more of a 'jeez, that's bloody loud!'). it's very cool to see your guitarists stare at your cabs with wide eyes, amazed that so much volume and power can come out of such small gear.

I still had the OTB around 4/10 on gain and volume as it was just too overpowering otherwise. insane heavy volume through these cabs, chuffed!! :)