Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

Lozz196

Anybody know if the Tiny Terrot (guitar) flightcase will fit bass terror? Looks like a bass terror flight case is more than double the cost of the guitar one... and im not gona be happy having this little thing rolling around the back of the van for months on end without a flightcase.

The original cab I bought has turned up after all!

I am now using the OTB through this SP210 and it sounds alright. Yet in the time when I thought I was going to have to buy another one because this had been lost, I gained massive GAS for a Barefaced Midget!

Must convince myself not to swap the SP210 out for Barefaced Midget. Too much effort and money...

Unless of course one comes up locally for trade, in which case I think it'd be permissible :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1228385' date='May 12 2011, 07:47 AM']Unless of course one comes up locally for trade, in which case I think it'd be permissible :)[/quote]

A Barefaced cab on the South Coast? In your dreams, mate, in your dreams.

:lol: :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1228385' date='May 12 2011, 07:47 AM']The original cab I bought has turned up after all!

I am now using the OTB through this SP210 and it sounds alright. Yet in the time when I thought I was going to have to buy another one because this had been lost, I gained massive GAS for a Barefaced Midget!

Must convince myself not to swap the SP210 out for Barefaced Midget. Too much effort and money...

Unless of course one comes up locally for trade, in which case I think it'd be permissible :)[/quote]

I am in the exact same boat now

• 2 weeks later...

Ok quick question about the ohm-switch at the back.

If I switch it to 4 ohm would it function like a normal 4 ohm amp in that if I plugged in 1 8ohm cabinet would it receive just 250W?

Sorry if I haven't explained that well.

Thanks, Rob

[quote name='bigbottomend' post='1251885' date='May 31 2011, 06:51 PM']Each to their own and is it just me because personally i think these sound awful.[/quote]

Me too, but perhaps it's better if you swap out the valves like HJ suggests? There's valve warmth and then there's valve burnt-out black lifeless husk.

[quote name='bigbottomend' post='1251885' date='May 31 2011, 06:51 PM']Each to their own and is it just me because personally i think these sound awful.[/quote]

You're not alone. Plenty of players don't like these amps. Fortunately for Orange, plenty of players do!

[quote name='rOB' post='1243237' date='May 24 2011, 06:35 PM']Ok quick question about the ohm-switch at the back.

If I switch it to 4 ohm would it function like a normal 4 ohm amp in that if I plugged in 1 8ohm cabinet would it receive just 250W?

Sorry if I haven't explained that well.

Thanks, Rob[/quote]
Yes. You are right.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of buying the terror bass 2x10 combo that comes out next month. Trouble is there is so litt[list=1]

[/list]le info about it, it does look great though. I expect it will still be loud, but I was just wondering how good it would be for adding extra cabs to it as we sometimes play larger venues.

Must admit im in the ''not for me'' group. They try to hard to sound like Valve amps to the point it sounds like some has jabbed a screwdriver thru your speakers. Its not valve 'break-up' just a cheap sounding distortion. Ill stick to my valve amp

[quote name='thebassman' post='1178508' date='Mar 27 2011, 05:36 PM']Has anyone tried or owned the terror with an Orange sp212?
Would be good to get some opinions.
Cheers
Thebassman[/quote]

yup! I have now, I haven't cranked it but so far it sounds very nice, full and warm. i have no doubt that it'll push put some heft once i get it to rehearsal.

[quote name='Superbass' post='1196867' date='Apr 12 2011, 02:38 PM']This is prob a stupid question but im fairly new to the technical aspects of cabs and amps. Would a bass terror 500 have any problem powering 2 x SP212's? I want to make a mini stack and want to make sure i can optimise the cabs for big venues. Thanks[/quote]

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='1205753' date='Apr 20 2011, 12:58 PM']It's fine powering 2 8ohm cabinets. Might be better options out there than the isobaric stuff, but I dont know what you're after, and plenty of people here love theirs! best of luck.[/quote]

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1206437' date='Apr 20 2011, 09:22 PM']yeah no problems. The orange head is switchable of either 4 or 8 ohms. as these cabs are 8 ohms, you would select the head to the 4ohm setting.

This means your overall load from the cabs will also be 4ohms which will give you your full 500watts from the head.[/quote]

I think Im gonna be repeating the question above, but talking to a friend last night, he was quite insistent that the if I plug two cabs (8ohm, 600watt) into the OTB, it will 'fry' the amp. I've now managed to pick up an SP212 and already have a Barefaced Compact, both are 8ohm 600watt, and was looking forward to plugging them both in and giving it some welly at practice, just for the hell of it. I was under the impression that since the OTB has two speakon outputs, hooking up two cabs would be fine. My friend tried explaining the physics behind it, but I was baffled as soon as he started, not helped by the fact that I wasnt convinced as Im sure I've read people here talking about it and there are two outputs, so what purpose would they serve otherwise??

so, is the answer

1. switch the selector from 8ohm to 4ohm? (as per munkonthehill above)

2. get higher wattage speakers?

3. dont do it, your amp will fry?

4. it'll be fine, your mate is suffering from knowitallitis?

cheers!

Just finished a tour with the OTB. No problems with it at all. Sounds amazing with a Fender P through an SVT cab. Got it in a flightcase now ready for more touring... I don't know how people don't like these amps. Plus it looks hilarious sat on top of my 8x10. keeps me happy every night.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1291573' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:41 PM']I've several times gigged my OTB with both my Barefaced Big One and my Barefaced Midget, both 8 Ohm cabs.

I switched the amp to 4 Ohm load.

Strangely enough, it has entirely failed to explode so far.[/quote]

ok cool. why do you have to do that though? im not well versed in the 'science', i just glaze over, but maybe i need to start paying attention.

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='1291591' date='Jul 3 2011, 10:47 PM']ok cool. why do you have to do that though? im not well versed in the 'science', i just glaze over, but maybe i need to start paying attention.[/quote]

to put it simple.

stick the head at 8ohm selection.....plug in 1 8 ohm cab and you will get the full 500watt from the head. Plug in a 2nd 8ohm cab and you have trouble.

stick the head to 4ohm selection....plug in 1 4ohm cab and get the full 500watt from the head......plug in a 2nd 4ohm cab and you have trouble.......or...... 1 8ohm cab and you get approx 250-300watt from the head......plug in a 2nd 8ohm cab and you get the full 500watt from the head.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1291877' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:31 AM']to put it simple.

stick the head at 8ohm selection.....plug in 1 8 ohm cab and you will get the full 500watt from the head. Plug in a 2nd 8ohm cab and you have trouble.

stick the head to 4ohm selection....plug in 1 4ohm cab and get the full 500watt from the head......plug in a 2nd 4ohm cab and you have trouble.......or...... 1 8ohm cab and you get approx 250-300watt from the head......plug in a 2nd 8ohm cab and you get the full 500watt from the head.[/quote]

For even simpler.. this is what happens in my simple head..

one 8ohm cab = Terror Bass switched to 8ohm
one 4ohm cab = Terror Bass switched to 4ohm
two 8ohm cabs = Terror Bass switched to 4ohm

Just do this an everything will be fine :-)