Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

Lozz196

resurrecting the terror thread as I gigged my new one on saturday

it was always going to sound great, as it was a rock covers gig, looking forward to next week when gigging it with a pop covers band,

I am hoping it will just sound great as is, my aim is not be be tweaking knobs all the time any more :)

[quote name='lojo' post='1180627' date='Mar 29 2011, 11:48 AM']Saw these cabinets for the first time in the flesh the other day, can they really deliver like the traditional 2 speakers in front cabs, such small boxes ?[/quote]

If it helps, I happily use a terror and SP210 against a rock drummer and guitarist. Easily loud enough for rehearsals and backline monitoring, its never gone above half on gain and a third on volume (except to see how loud it goes). Fraid I can't comment on how it would cope without PA support at a gig.

To echo rOB's comments I use the 210 set up & it is never an issue. I've played live without PA support in small to medium sized pubs with no issues. However usually I go through a PA anyway. I play with fingers on flats so turn up a bit more but with a pick the volume really holds its own

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1188114' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:44 PM']To echo rOB's comments I use the 210 set up & it is never an issue. I've played live without PA support in small to medium sized pubs with no issues. However usually I go through a PA anyway. I play with fingers on flats so turn up a bit more but with a pick the volume really holds its own[/quote]
And if it can keep up with Andy & Lee, it must be up to the job, Tim!

Hope that`s all going well btw, Andy was very complimentary when I spoke to him about it. Seems Orange is very prevalent in that set-up.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1188213' date='Apr 4 2011, 07:50 PM']And if it can keep up with Andy & Lee, it must be up to the job, Tim!

Hope that`s all going well btw, Andy was very complimentary when I spoke to him about it. Seems Orange is very prevalent in that set-up.[/quote]
Yep, he's rocking a little Orange rig too! I'd forgotten just how [b]loud[/b] Lee was. It's not helped with me spending the last 10yrs in country bands! Just the one rehearsal so far and it's for a one off gig. I'm sure it's seen for what it is and I trust it's not seen as any stepping on toes Lozz? And as importantly I hope you come to the reunion show? Grey power! :) Great to see the boys again but I'm looking forward to returning to a steadier tempo afterwards! :)

Nah, I knew all about this one before Andy ruined my life and quit The Daves, lol, so am not bitter & twisted about it - best not tell Andy though, going to make him suffer for as long as possible :)

Will definately drag myself out to that one - actually saw you guys years ago in The Cellar in Hemel.

This will make you laugh though, I thought it was great joining The Daves as they were soooooo much quieter than the bands I`d been in previously, [b]especially Lee[/b]! Made a change to play in a band with drums, rather than what seemed like a nuclear onslaught.

Probably why my hearing is shot to pieces :)

Edited by Lozz196

I`ve not tried the 1000, but having had the 500, and at gigs in pubs of 100/150 capacity only being able to have both gain and volume on 2, I can`t imagine how useful double that kindof power could be. And this was in a punk band, playing Pistols/Clash/Sham 69 etc, so we made a fair bit of noise. I think it`s 150 that can be spent, but will never really be needed to be spent.

I was trying to weigh this one up as well a while back. I settled on the 500 as it is bloody loud and i find it cuts through well.

I was tempted just to go with the thousand cause its only a bit more cash in the scheme of things, but in the end i couldnt work out how 900w at 8ohms would be useful with my cabs, or any 8ohm cab. Yes, you can control the volume knob but its a pretty steep increase on the terror to full power. Also for only a 3db increase, i thought the 500 a much better proposition.

Easily managed 200-250 packed venues with this and 2 cabs playing rock covers.

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

It's fine powering 2 8ohm cabinets. Might be better options out there than the isobaric stuff, but I dont know what you're after, and plenty of people here love theirs! best of luck.

[quote name='Superbass' post='1196867' date='Apr 12 2011, 02:38 PM']This is prob a stupid question but im fairly new to the technical aspects of cabs and amps. Would a bass terror 500 have any problem powering 2 x SP212's? I want to make a mini stack and want to make sure i can optimise the cabs for big venues. Thanks[/quote]

[quote name='Superbass' post='1196867' date='Apr 12 2011, 02:38 PM']This is prob a stupid question but im fairly new to the technical aspects of cabs and amps. Would a bass terror 500 have any problem powering 2 x SP212's? I want to make a mini stack and want to make sure i can optimise the cabs for big venues. Thanks[/quote]

yeah no problems. The orange head is switchable of either 4 or 8 ohms. as these cabs are 8 ohms, you would select the head to the 4ohm setting.

This means your overall load from the cabs will also be 4ohms which will give you your full 500watts from the head.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1223525' date='May 7 2011, 06:36 PM']Theres a 212 for sale here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133748"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=133748[/url][/quote]
Thanks, collection only though :) Will send a PM just in case postage is an option.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1225184' date='May 9 2011, 03:17 PM']Oh what I was going to ask is I have 2 X 200W cabs would using them be a problem?[/quote]

I use it through one 200w cab at rehearsals. Could probably gig with that too. Should be fine.

im sure i've posted (and said) this before, but Im WELL chuffed with my OTB. I run it through a Barefaced Compact which I got from a fine gent on here, and teh both of them do just what I need. I gather there might be a little too much gain on them for some people, but that's actually my clean sound :) I use a Big Muff to fizz it up most of the time. When it comes to volume, I put both Volume and Gain on 6 at last practice, just fer fun, and the guy running the place was looking through the window like 'can you turn it down' :) my guitarist's jaw was on the floor thru awe, which is a nice feeling for a bass player :lol:

i would Love to try an SP212 as it'd look much better in the living room than the Compact with a throw, but until I can find one that's postable, I'll hold off.

excuse the mess and paw marks but it's the only pic I have. the combo (and the carpet) went a while ago

Edited by Chest Rockwell