Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

Lozz196

Well last weekend, following aching severely after my last gig, I took the plunge and bought a Bass Terror (yes I know no-one will believe me unless I put pictures up, but I felt I needed to write this now).

Used it last night at band practice, and am amazed. The sound and power of this little guy!

We`re a punk band, doing Pistols/Clash/SLF covers etc. Mostly one guitar, sometimes two. Well the Terror was running bass on 10, mids on 5, treble on 10, gain on 3, volume on 3.

Using my trusty MIA P-Bass, with 3 month old strings, set like this, it was a fantastically warm bass sound, and the depth of the sound was incredible. I had doubts before the practice that the amp would be too "gainy". Not at all. The whole band also gave it a vote of confidence, and that`s good enough for me.

I know this should probably end up in the review section, but to anyone considering the Terror, I`d say go for it. I agree with previous posts that the eq doesn`t have a massive impact on the sound, so it really is a bit of a one-trick-pony, but, if you like that trick, you`ll love the Terror.

And so will your back!

Yeah, Andys comments about the bass are usually that it goes "boom boom boom" so for him to rave about it must mean its good.

Less Backache [b]and[/b] Andy can tell the difference in the bass this time - the way forward, lol.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1014051' date='Nov 6 2010, 10:29 AM']Yeah, Andys comments about the bass are usually that it goes "boom boom boom" so for him to rave about it must mean its good.

Less Backache [b]and[/b] Andy can tell the difference in the bass this time - the way forward, lol.[/quote]
I think the trick with Andy is to not give a rats *@** what he thinks! :) When I played with them back in the mid 90s we'd always record and they'd go "I like that bit you came up with there"... I'd have been playing it 6 months that way!

Tempted by one of these myself but worried it'd sound too rock for what I do.

Yr not wrong there. He only says it to annoy me, he knows I don`t listen to him :)

The Terror is great tho. It is very warm, great for stuff we do in The Daves and probably stuff like Motley Crue etc. Tho I sure if I were to play finger-style, rather than with a pick & back off the gain a bit more, I could coax some nice Motown runs from my Precision through it. Think it also depends on the cab used - I weren`t over keen on the cabs I demoed it with, until I found the off control for the tweeters. It really has an old-school sound.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1014149' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:14 PM']Yr not wrong there. He only says it to annoy me, he knows I don`t listen to him :)

The Terror is great tho. It is very warm, great for stuff we do in The Daves and probably stuff like Motley Crue etc. Tho I sure if I were to play finger-style, rather than with a pick & back off the gain a bit more, I could coax some nice Motown runs from my Precision through it. Think it also depends on the cab used - I weren`t over keen on the cabs I demoed it with, until I found the off control for the tweeters. It really has an old-school sound.[/quote]

Lozz, i play finger style in my main band on a precision through the OTB into an Orange SP210 cab... Plenty of of old skool thump there :) Glad you're enjoying it!!!

Nige

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1014217' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:15 PM']Ooh, I've really wanted one since I saw the Magic Numbers a while back and it sounded ridiculously good!
Problem is though, it's quite small and I wouldnt be able to use it as a bedside table like I do with my EBS/GK-in-a-flightcase combo!

Truckstop[/quote]

Of course you can..... you may have to reach further down, and have less crap on it, but it's do-able :)

[quote name='yorick' post='1014209' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:11 PM']Lozz, i play finger style in my main band on a precision through the OTB into an Orange SP210 cab... Plenty of of old skool thump there :) Glad you're enjoying it!!!

Nige[/quote]
Thanks Nige - That's really useful to know... this could make this a possibility for me. I like the look and portability. I play fingerstyle with muted flats. Backed up with Truckstops Magic Numbers reference this could be a goer for a second head :)

tbf :)

Glad you're enjoying it Lozz, I've been eyeing one of these up for some time! Although, I fear a cab maybe first as a hulking great Warwick rig is heeeeeavy and my back (at 22) isn't great because of it!

Record me some samples with your MIM P and lets hear it :) Edited by Rosh

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rOB' post='1079120' date='Jan 5 2011, 08:31 PM']Ordered one yesterday after trying a friend of a friends a couple of weeks ago. It should be arriving this week. Very exciting times. :)[/quote]

Won't be here until "mid January". :) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Its here! along with a second hand SP10 cab (thanks very much to Sean/KingPrawn) its my new mini but powerful rig. Love the sound at living room levels, lovely tubeyness through to drivey goodness.

Giving it a proper thrash at rehearsal tomorrow through a Hartke 4x10 and an no-name 1x15. Can't wait.

Edit - sounded immense at rehearsal through the 4x10, punchy and a little bit drivey. I sat well in the mix which I've struggled with before (keyboard player is a bit too keen on the low frequencies) heard myself wonderfully. Didn't go above 3 on the volume or 5 on the gain so plenty of headroom for bigger rooms or gigs. Used the EQ to add a touch of bass and backed it up with EQ on my bass. Sounded good enough to eat. Our guitarist (a dedicated Marshall user) was impressed enough to want to try the Tiny Terror guitar head.

Edited by rOB

This is a great thread. As some of you may have read, I ran through my first ever valve rig on Sunday, and I was completely blown away by the depth, warmth and expressive tone available. I've never had that before through a bass rig. It was an Orange head and 4x10 cab. I was completely blown away by it, and now I'm seriously smitten by the who tube vibe. This is the head I'm seriously considering, as I want that type of tone, but not at the expense of my back :) Good to know that others find this a good head.

Would it be ok to express a less enthusiastic opinion on the terror bass head?

I went into a local shop to A/B the orange TB and my tecamp puma 350. I was looking for a more valvey tone from a small head, so the TB would be an ideal choice. I played both of them through an orange sp10 cab with my T40.

I walked back out with my tecamp. The TB has got a nice tone to it, but the eq on the orange might as well not have been there. I found that I wanted a bit more depth to the tone, but couldn't get it. The gain control does indeed add grit in a nice and touch-controllable way, but I found that it wasn't enough for me. Nice try, but i'll keep looking for something else.

Don't shoot me, please, I just wanted to share...