Why become a member? ×

How good do you need to be to work in a cover band?

Cantdosleepy

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='116054' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:17 AM']I'm not sure anyone does the WMC's for fun...[/quote]
Well, we do them for money, but that's not to say that fun can't be had. There's a couple of clubs we do that are good fun, they enjoy themselves, have a dance, and the remember who we are too. There's a few which are just about OK - they're the ones which are gradually emptying as they lose their memberships.

Mind you, in Brum, one can get 50% of the audience onto the dance floor by playing UB40, dreadful cod-reggae sh*te though it is.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='116054' date='Jan 8 2008, 08:17 AM']I'm not sure anyone does the WMC's for fun...[/quote]

Funny enough and in light of what i have said about them i look forward to some WMC's.
If we are doing say 3 or 4 weddings in a row doing a WMC is like having a rest. No suits to worry about, nothing to learn and plenty of thought time ;-).
I guess we treat these as our rehearsals. we always try to go over any upcoming first dances.
We have also spent the last three NYE's at WMC's and on those occasions they have been great to play but then anywhere should be on that night.

I really do nag the others to learn more songs but with this band nothing gets done. Its really been frustrating for me but luckily i have the other band that is much more of a challenge as there are always new songs to learn (some of them even on stage at the gig) and they dont do WMC's so one offsets the other to a certain extent.
Musicianship is about the same in both band but the other band have better agents and they

[quote name='OldGit' post='116088' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:15 AM']Oh my god! They got Dave![/quote]

LOL. I started typing that about half hour ago and totally forgot that i hadn't finished it.
so here is it (i think)

The other band have better agents and so get very nice gigs all over the country in places like castles, palaces, stately homes, you know the sort of thing.
They do around 60+ gigs a year and im one of 3 regular bass players so im not on all the gigs but i do really enjoy them.
Totally different world to the WMC's but still we can play the same songs more or less.

Right, i think thats what i was going to say. I guess its gone a bit OT with all this WMC talk.