Why become a member? ×

Which Bass Should I Buy?

jcrangle_1992

Hi everyone.

Here is my situation, I have been playing bass for around 6 months and bought an Aria STB-Series to get myself started. Whilst it is a decent beginner's bass I am getting serious about it and want to upgrade to a bass of real quality.

I have very little knowledge on what is a good bass to buy, however I do have a friend who plays and knows more who I have talked to and I have been browsing the internet. I narrowed it down to either getting a Music Man Stingray or a Warwick Corvette.

Could I please have some reccomendations from personal experience and also some info on which styles they suit. I play a bit of slapping & popping but also like to play a lot more heavier songs too. And also if you have any other ideas as to what I should get that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Jack

Are you in America/outside UK?

MMs and Corvettes are quality and versatile basses. Watch out for the weight on the Corvette, though.

When it comes to active basses you've got loads of choice. Just pick a price range, new or used and I'm sure a healthy list of basses to try will emerge. Of course a nice jazz is a good place to start as well.

Active is not my forte but MM, Warwick, G&L, jazz deluxe... seem to be the regularly heard names.

Best of luck! Will pop back to see how it goes.

You want the corvette $$! its got a pair of humbukers (the back one sounds a lot like a 2EQ stingray), but a switch to make them single coil like the stanard corvette. My dad owns both a 3EQ stingray and a corvette $$ and they're both great basses, the corvette a little more versatile. I also depends on what music your playing, because I would only really reccomend either of them for rock music. The warwick weighs a little more, but it hasv the nicest neck I've ever played. I'd definatly reccomend the corvette $$!!!

As the others have said, it all depends on what sounds and feels right for you. Also perhaps you need to give an idea of budget. In the budget realm, I don't think you can get much better than a Yamaha BB414 or the active 3-band BB614. Again, all personal preference. Go and try loads of basses & see what you really like best.

Oh, and as lwtait says... +1 for the Corvette $$ - Amazing instrument!

[quote]^ as soon as i saw you'd posted, OTPJ, I knew you'd say something good about the corvette. You and my dad ALWAYS post when the corvette comes up in conversation[/quote]

:huh: Yep, it's the one I nearly always pick up to play & it's always on gigs with me. An amazingly adaptable instrument soundwise & has a punch not unlike God shouting! Practicing my Wooten-esque double thumbing on it at the moment :)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your help. It is extremely useful. I visited the bass cellar in London recently and had a look around which was very interesting. My budget is quite flexible, but I'm looking for something somewhere in between £500-£1200.

Also useful to know that both basses are best for playing rock as that is the style that I play most and am most interested in pursuing, especially in a band that I may soon be playing in.

Thanks for your comments.

With a budget like that your on easy street
Theres an Active Corvette for sale for £350 on the site
and stingrays usuallys go for around £700'ish but ive seen them go for £500 too

I prefer Warwicks to Stringrays , but both are great brands and great basses
I have a Warwick streamer which i love and have a tried a $$Streamer which was awesome too
I ive tried , two Stingrays and a Sub stingray and i prefered the Sub. But i dot really like the necks on the rays

Best thing to do , is try as many basses as possible

Fenders are pretty well known in the world of rock , but i dont like the fact that everyone has them.
I like to stand out , not fit in

The Bass Cellar! :) There are much cheaper places!! Figure out what you want to buy, and then look in the forums' for sale section.

If the cash was in my pocket - a Musicman - you'll get a cracker for around £700.

[u]BUT a big caveat - try before you buy!![/u] Even if you try out in the bass shops and then look for a bargain here.

You will play better with a £300 bass that you are really comfortable with than with a £1200 bass that doesn't feel right.

Hamster

I've just seen a thread where someones thinking of selling a musicman sabre, just an idea.

+1 for the fender, whoever said that. if you dont know what you want go for a fender, they practically set the standard for basses.

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='114568' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:18 AM']As the others have said, it all depends on what sounds and feels right for you. Also perhaps you need to give an idea of budget. In the budget realm, I don't think you can get much better than a Yamaha BB414 or the active 3-band BB614. Again, all personal preference. Go and try loads of basses & see what you really like best.

Oh, and as lwtait says... +1 for the Corvette $$ - Amazing instrument![/quote]

+2 for the Corvette $$. I had planned to sell mine when I got my Stingray. Glad I didn't, as I use the $$ more than the 'ray (or my MIA Jazz for that matter). Very, very versatile bass.

But as others have said, you should try as many basses as you can. It's what suits you that matters. As Hamster said, a cheap bass that feels right to you is better than an expensive ''trophy'' bass that you don't get on with. I think all of us who suffer GAS have at some time handed over large wads of cash for a shiny new bass, only to find we can't live with it later.

As well as trying the basses already mentioned, I would check out Sandberg. They have some really nice stuff in your price bracket.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='116238' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:29 PM']Because they treat the wood with a chemical that turns you into a git.[/quote]

Is there a cure? :)

I own a Fender, a Stingray 5 and 2 Warwicks.

All 3 are well put together and sound good/play well.

Don't rule out G&L, Ibanez, Lakland, Sandberg, Yamaha, Status, etc. though!
+1 for trying before you buy. It's a must.
If you can take your mate who plays, then do! He may well be able to help.

Good luck with the purchasing!

Guest TheBigBeefChief

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='116452' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:21 PM']And your excuse is?[/quote]

A lorry full of Warwicks crashed next to me when I was walking to school one day. I became infected from the fall-out.