Why become a member? ×

The feeling of anticipation

Doctor J

There's an Ibanez SR1010 going at a decent price over here which I'm just powerless to resist checking out. What with the mortgage and the bajillions of debt we're in over here, it's been a while since I've had this feeling, that sensation of maybe getting something new. I used to have a SR 6er which was pretty similar to the spec of this, it's going to have to be in failry crap shape for me to turn it down, I think. It's a great feeling.... the scent of blood, almost. So, G.A.S., we meet again... :)

Edited by Doctor J

Heh heh, a 4 string high end SR has been on the list for almost 20 years, just never found the right one. This is possibly the last of their high-end reverse-P + J models, it's been all soapbar types since 98, so yeah, I'm probably a little more excited about this than I ought to be. It'll sit well beside that Streamer I got off you, Frank.

I hope that Bacchus is going to a good home, I still have an emotional attachment there :)

Turns out it was in fact a SR1300PM, the top of the range Ibby from 93, Paduak sandwiching a mahogany core, 5 piece wenge/bubinga neck with wenge fretboard, AFR pickups and Ibanez pre with sweepable mid. There was no way I could say no. Spent today stripping it down and cleaning 16 years of smoke off and out of it and oiling the wood. It's all back together now, sounds superb, quite a lot like my Streamer actually, but with that neck. I'd forgotten how slim the necks are on these things, after the initial shock your hand just flies all over the place. It's such aneasy and graceful bass to play. There's a stigma about Ibanez basses for sure... and that's ok, because it means people like me can pick up top drawer basses for a song :)

Yes, I am enjoying the catch :lol:

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1007851' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:04 PM']Full review, please! One of the few current production basses I find genuinely intriguing.[/quote]

No worries I will. Also the only production bass that appeals to me and a price that seems to good to be true.

i'll report back soon!

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1007733' date='Oct 31 2010, 07:43 PM']Turns out it was in fact a SR1300PM, the top of the range Ibby from 93, Paduak sandwiching a mahogany core, 5 piece wenge/bubinga neck with wenge fretboard, AFR pickups and Ibanez pre with sweepable mid. There was no way I could say no. Spent today stripping it down and cleaning 16 years of smoke off and out of it and oiling the wood. It's all back together now, sounds superb, quite a lot like my Streamer actually, but with that neck. I'd forgotten how slim the necks are on these things, after the initial shock your hand just flies all over the place. It's such aneasy and graceful bass to play. There's a stigma about Ibanez basses for sure... and that's ok, because it means people like me can pick up top drawer basses for a song :)

Yes, I am enjoying the catch :)[/quote]

I would disagree with Ibbys having a stigma. Generally the people that don't like them have very good reason not too. Personally I wouldn't turn down an Ibby because its an Ibby, however I wont go looking as I've never found one that I like the neck on or the sound of. I think they're actually quite a marmite bass tbh.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1007851' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:04 PM']Full review, please! One of the few current production basses I find genuinely intriguing.[/quote]

As promised - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=109041"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=109041[/url]