Why become a member? ×

Quick Courier Posting Question

michael-faces

Good answers.

But also, a hard case will protect from something falling onto the guitar etc, but it may not be so good at protecting it if it's dropped. The energy of the impact will still be transmitted to the guitar unless something else absorbs the impact. Just like a car may be hard inside, but if you don't wear a sitbelt you will hit the windscreen and get hurt if you crash. Airbags absorb most of your impact against the inside of teh car.

External box crushing will absorb some.
If the hard case has very soft crushable interior it'll be good at absorbing impacts.
But generally I'd want to add as much cushioning as possible inside, because knowing couriers, the box is likely to be treated with not that much care. So do all you can to make impacts be absorbed before they get to the guitar.

I once received a 1979 Rickenbacker 4000 in an old gig bag with a broken zip held together by brown tape. Amazingly it was still in one piece.

For me it depends if I have cardboard available - what I do have is bubblewrap. Because I do so much buying and selling I buy 100m rolls of it. Normally to pack the bass inside the box but sometimes I put loads round the hardcase

Someone once sent a Jaydee to me in a hard case with just one layer of bubble-wrap around the case. I almost had a heart attack when the courier handed it to me. I couldn't open the case for a few minutes afraid at what I would find. Amazingly, it was fine. The case was a Hiscox and unmarked too. Oh and this was a shipment from the UK to the USA. Go figure. One that did not turn out too well was another transatlantic shipment. This time a seller sent me a Firebird guitar without a hard case, just wrapped the guitar in bubble-wrap and stuffed it in a cardboard box. It was a sickening feeling as I unwrapped that one and the headstock fell to the floor :) .

Edited by GeeCee

I once received a daisy rock guitar by courier. It was a set neck model similar in construction to a les paul. It wasn't even in a gigbag, the wrapping consisted of acres of clingfilm. I took photos of it before opening it up as I was convinced the headstock would be dangling, however luckily it had survived and was in perfect condition.

[quote name='silddx' post='1002627' date='Oct 27 2010, 03:57 PM']If you've seen the hoppers these companies use, you might be wondering how anything arrives in one piece.

Of course you need a well padded cardboard box with some bubble wrap.[/quote]

Yes yes and yes.

You need a padded box to put it in. As silddx highlights, courier companies aren't particularly precious with precious things, in part due to the fact they rush around like crazed idiots (that's not a criticism of them, just pointing out they've got a shed load of work to do in not a lot of time - old colleague of mine has just joined a major courier and is in some shell shock at the work load)

Putting fragile and handle with care helps a little but proper packing is the way.

I received a Stingray from the UK once in just the hard case with one strip of brown tape looped around to stop it opening.

Not a good feeling, though there was an intense feeling of relief when I opened the case and (A) the bass was still there and (:lol: it was in one piece.

Contrast that to when I got a pair of Godlykes off Eubassix and spent half an hour just getting through the packing :) A much better experience, definitely.

Bubble wrap and box it every time.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='wingnutkj' post='1000769' date='Oct 26 2010, 08:18 AM']My general rule of thumb is "if the courier was to transport my package between A and B by kicking it there, would it survive?"[/quote]
Should that rule of thumb begin with "As" rather than "If" ?

Good rule though - always assume the worst.

+1 re the extra packaging (don't forget that cycle shops literally throw away the bast packaging you can get for basses in flightcases).

My most expensive purchase on eBay (a very rare Ltd Ed Warwick which is my 'go to grave' bass) was sent to me in the skinniest/flimsiest gigbag (a black bin bag offered as much protection) that was placed between a folded over sheet of cardboard and then taped down one edge, top and bottom... I kid you not! Even though it miraculously came out of the packaging OK I went ballistic with the seller.

Ask for insurance, most couriers will insure non-glass items for a premium (something like £12 extra for, I think £1k cover). Even Royal Mail does additional insurance up to £500 for a premium, but most couriers will go higher.

I ship £500+ glass solar panels almost every day by courier and we've have had very few breakages. Admittedly we do pack them very well, but not enough to cover a serious drop or the fork-lift running into it. Not really practical to totally protect sheets of glass with up to 1.6 x 1m involved. Might as well do the suggestion below when it's high value and fragile..

If you want something to arrive safe, have it strapped to a pallet and sent (clearly marked as DO NOT STACK!). A bass would probably fit on just about a standard euro pallet, so roughly £75 UK to UK (remote areas cost more).

Luckily everything we send is covered by 3rd party £35,000 insurance. This is for our company, but it covers everything in transit, worldwide, whoever the courier, glass or not. With a £200 excess though, unfortunately. I bet someone would do a personal goods in transit one off insurance. Still, if I had a nice bass in transit, I'd rather have it arrive in perfect condition than get an insurance payout. :)

Edited by pablyth

Or put it in one of these. :)

[url="http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/cases/1770.html"]http://www.peliproducts.co.uk/cases/1770.html[/url]

Have used the small cases, sent one up Everest as part of an expeditions solar power kit. Shockingly strong.

Probably quite expensive at this size though. :lol:

Tip from my neighbour who works for TNT is, "if it looks like a box it gets kicked around, if it looks like a guitar we are a lot more careful". Hardcase, 3 layers of industrial bubble-wrap & leave the handle exposed so the courier can easily pick it up / put it down. Adopted that approach, never had an issue yet.