Why become a member? ×

Bass Shapes

AnalogBomb

I've been thinking about this recently, so just thought I'd post it and see what other people thought??

We all know that feeling when we're in the market for a new axe, or just window shopping and you see that bass and think, that is pure gorgeous craftsmanship? But what is it that attracts us to a particular model?

With me, I love the shape of Jazz basses and have done for god knows how long! Just so happens I really like the sound too! But recently I've been thinking about adding to my collection and have been looking at various basses and reading reviews and so on. I can't however, drag myself away from the way it looks. For example, I've been reading various reviews whereby people swear by the sound of a bass, but to me it looks awful but sounds awesome.

What I'm trying to say is, do people go for looks, sound or a combinations of both. I love the sound and warmth of Warwick basses, but cant stand the looks! I'd love a Sadowsky, but although they have a Jazz-esque shape, I just can't get used to the lines on the body!

Am I mental?!? :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='998563' date='Oct 24 2010, 12:10 AM']I'd rather play the biggest pile of sh*te in Europe than something that looked bad

Yes, I'm shallow when it comes to basses[/quote]

What a bass looks like is the most important thing about a bass, unless you're only going to use it in the studio.

Would you get on stage where a room full of people are going to be staring at you and not think about maybe wearing something that looks good? It's the same with your bass - you have to wear it while a room full of people are staring at you, it had better look good!

FWIW I like Jazz basses but I wish they did a 24-fret model that looked "classic". Currently I'm gigging my Thumb, which I think is pretty understated and natural looking, and I like having the million miles of frets. I wouldn't want to play a bass with garish wood though, like a figured top or whatever. I dress too scruffy to wear a bass like that. It would be like putting on a gold chain.

Looks are no more or less important than playability and sound. All three have got to be right and lets be thankful that these days there are enough different bass makers making such a variety of instruments that this is no longer a problem for anyone.

Personally I don't really want to be seen on stage with an instrument that looks just like everyone else's. The main reason why I got into music was because it was the way I could express my creativity and personality, and in non-musical situations I'm fairly introverted and have little to say. So the whole point of getting up on stage and performing was to say "look at me" and that's not going to happen if you're choice of instrument is a "me too" one.

I'm disappointed that this thread isn't about some of the awesome poses thrown out by hard rockin bassists on stage. :)

[attachment=62046:Sharlee_Bass.jpg] [attachment=62045:Rhino_in...nal_pose.jpg] [attachment=62044:IMAG0032.jpg]

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='AnalogBomb' post='998527' date='Oct 23 2010, 11:00 PM']What I'm trying to say is, do people go for looks, sound or a combinations of both. I love the sound and warmth of Warwick basses, but cant stand the looks! I'd love a Sadowsky, but although they have a Jazz-esque shape, I just can't get used to the lines on the body!

Am I mental?!? :)[/quote]

Whatever feels right. If something feels off, if there is something you're not comfortable with, whatever it is, then probably best to walk away and keep looking.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='998588' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:45 AM']What a bass looks like is the most important thing about a bass, unless you're only going to use it in the studio.

Would you get on stage where a room full of people are going to be staring at you and not think about maybe wearing something that looks good? It's the same with your bass - you have to wear it while a room full of people are staring at you, it had better look good!

FWIW I like Jazz basses but I wish they did a 24-fret model that looked "classic". Currently I'm gigging my Thumb, which I think is pretty understated and natural looking, and I like having the million miles of frets. I wouldn't want to play a bass with garish wood though, like a figured top or whatever. I dress too scruffy to wear a bass like that. It would be like putting on a gold chain.[/quote]

The Thumb, despite its unusual shape does look very elegant and understated considering the amazing sound it produces

I really want this:

[url="http://img835.imageshack.us/i/greenblacklarge0022881.gif/"][/url]

Its the most amazing bass I've seen in a long time.

[quote name='rOB' post='999363' date='Oct 24 2010, 08:55 PM']I really like basses with corners, not sure what the right word is.

Erm when the body has been cut out but not sanded down round the edges. Think the edges of a Les Paul rather than a Strat?[/quote]
It's called a slab body - or at least it is on a Precision bass.

Looks are really important. I know they shouldn't be, but I couldn't bring myself to gig with an ugly bass! The P is classic, as is the Stingray. I have a soft spot for the angular Status bodies and the NS Spector shape. Zon Sonus basses seem to have an NS influenced and very classy looking body shape too.

The ACG Recurve shape is growing on me a lot too. It looks a bit like a modern take on a Wal.

Edited by Wil

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I like lots of different body shapes - here's some fine examples of just how varied the humble bass geetar can be:

[url="http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/basses.html"]http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/basses.html[/url]

Covers pretty much everything - aside from some of those 'comedy' carved Athena style poster basses....

The only thing I don't like about fenders (& similar basses) is the top horn. Looks like some short fat dumpy cyst.

I like things with a bit more style (tho that's down to taste) like non fender based shapes by Mayones, Shuker, Ritter, Overwater, Esh, Warwick. etc.

A Fender Precision just looks like a bass to me. I prefer the playability & sheer fun of the mustang & have grown to love the looks of that as well*

*Didn't like the torty pickguard it came with - much better with the vintage pearl one I put on. Also the but I'd prefer a daphne blue mustang to the off-white one I have and the lollypop tuners the 1966 ones have are ubercool.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='999581' date='Oct 25 2010, 12:31 AM']It's called a slab body - or at least it is on a Precision bass.[/quote]

Thanks very much. I knew there'd be a word for it.

They're not necessarily the most comfy to play but I just love how they look.

Edited by rOB