Why become a member? ×

right hand finger speed

Moonstomper

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='998403' date='Oct 23 2010, 07:37 PM']Use a pick, i've never seen a punk band with a finger player, it'll give you the tone you need aswell.

If you're set on fingers, just play a lot of fast songs, play 2 or 3 everday, and eventually you'll build up your stamina[/quote]

thanks but i prefer I prefer finger style

Glen Matlock?

It's not especially fast but playing 'parallel universe' off californication by the red hot chili peppers can help with keeping a nice tight finger tone with even balance between plucks, probably help build up some stamina too. It originally was played with a pick (sounds like it anyway) but I just prefer to play it with fingers.

Edited by gafbass02

Basically (to me anyway) its like weight training at the gym. Initially to build up speed, I would find a song that I could just about play but would get a little painful towards the end and would need me to push myself to keep tempo. I repeated this until it became easy and effortless to play said song as my muscles/stamina built up. Then I would find a new faster song and repeat.

I've learnt a lot of Muse songs over the years and I remember when songs like Thoughts of a Dying Atheist and New Born were had to play stamina-wise. I'm currently stuck at Stockholm Syndrome, but my band's music never requires me to play sixteenths at over 120bpm continously for a good minute.

Anything repetitive - Sussudio by Phil Collins, Parralel Universe suggested above, The Trooper and Phantom of the Opera by Iron Maiden etc are all good for building finger speed.

Once you've got it - a ramp under the fingers can help increase it further whether it be the pickup raised right up or a piece of wood, plastic, whatever

[quote name='Bidd' post='998442' date='Oct 23 2010, 08:14 PM']I've learnt a lot of Muse songs over the years and I remember when songs like Thoughts of a Dying Atheist and New Born were had to play stamina-wise. I'm currently stuck at Stockholm Syndrome, but my band's music never requires me to play sixteenths at over 120bpm continously for a good minute.[/quote]

Stockholm Syndrome's what helped my right hand stamina, Map of the problematique, butterflies and hurricanes and hysteria are good for it too.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='998503' date='Oct 23 2010, 10:08 PM']Two fingers is fine.[/quote]
That's what she said....

Anyone found using a powerball can help to build up stamina? I've got one and definitely helps me keep up a pace. as for getting to a pace, probably just practise to a metronome? fast songs you can learn; battery or master of puppets, both good for string changes at a fast pace. I agree with the muse and maiden too!

Yeah two fingers is fine. I pick with three but not alternating - I use my second and third fingers as "second" fingers, alternating with my index, and the spare one I use to do rakes or switch strings or play octaves or whatever.

As for speed, you need to be totally relaxed or you will hit a limit. The more you play fast the more relaxed about it you will be, and the more you play bass generally the more relaxed about it you will be, so just put the hours in.

couldn't agree more - as soon as you feel yourself tensing up that's when the cramp sets in and you find you can't play

Same goes for using a plectrum, keep your fingers relaxed as possible when holding it. If you tense up you'll find it hard to playand if you switch to fingers for the next song your fingers will still be really tired

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='998589' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:48 AM']Yeah two fingers is fine. I pick with three but not alternating - I use my second and third fingers as "second" fingers, alternating with my index, and the spare one I use to do rakes or switch strings or play octaves or whatever.

As for speed, you need to be totally relaxed or you will hit a limit. The more you play fast the more relaxed about it you will be, and the more you play bass generally the more relaxed about it you will be, so just put the hours in.[/quote]

Sound advice that.

I find if I dont try and keep my RH relaxed, I get problems with pain in my forearm, bit like tennis elbow. Also bending your wrist a bit, so your fingers are nearer to being at right angles to the strings helps.

BTW, I played in punk bands in the 70s and didnt use a pick.

[quote name='Old_Ben' post='998569' date='Oct 24 2010, 12:27 AM']That's what she said....

Anyone found using a powerball can help to build up stamina? I've got one and definitely helps me keep up a pace. as for getting to a pace, probably just practise to a metronome? fast songs you can learn; battery or master of puppets, both good for string changes at a fast pace. I agree with the muse and maiden too![/quote]

I agree, if time is spare and a bass isn't available, something like this will help.

I use a home made version of a powerball, rather - made at work. A ball of elastic bands left by the postman. :) It's great to throw in times of frustration too, loves smashing things after randomly bouncing off at a tangent. Plus I can make it large to strengthen on long finger stretches, if the postman would get in gear and deliver more elastic bands!

Helps with my left and right hand strength, when otherwise I'd just be wasting my time working! I'm a reformed guitarist who's not been playing bass that long, finger strength and consistency is one of the things I work on very regularly.

Practicepracticepractice. The more you do it the easier it'll be, but it goes if you don't keep on top of it.

My old band was fast and heavy, and between two rehearsals a week and a couple of gigs a month, it became second nature. My current band has a much more relaxed vibe, and rarely presents anything 'difficult' technique-wise, and I've found that on the odd occasion I'm off having a rock-out somewhere, I struggle with things that used to come easily.

Guess it's like any other excercise, gotta keep on top of it!

[quote name='howdoesitgoagain' post='999524' date='Oct 24 2010, 11:09 PM']be ready with a pick is all I have to say, it can save your life :)[/quote]
doesn't work for me...since suffering nerve damage in my neck 2 years ago I don't have the strength to hold a pick!!! - I have had to relearn everything that used to be plectrum on fingers...which makes strummed bass chords...er different....that's the only area I struggle with now.