Why become a member? ×

Microphone for 'quieter' voice

guzzibass

for live or recording? In essence the mic doesnt care how big your voice as long as it is fed enough gain from the preamp. If you want to upgrade the mic maybe look at a Telefunken M80 but my guess is you need to look at your preamp first.

[quote name='guzzibass' post='998255' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:10 PM']I do lead vox/guitar in a three-piece, but I do not have a 'big boomy' voice. I'm using a SM58 at the mo' does anyone have any suggestions for a more suitable mic?? :) Thanks y'all.[/quote]

[quote name='Rimskidog' post='998269' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:22 PM']for live or recording? In essence the mic doesnt care how big your voice as long as it is fed enough gain from the preamp. If you want to upgrade the mic maybe look at a Telefunken M80 but my guess is you need to look at your preamp first.[/quote]

Yes - for live, although we are rehearsing right now.

I'll look at the preamp - the gain on the channel is full.

In previous band we had an AKG C1000s for a female singer who didn't like my SM58. An SM58 is great for shouty blokie-bloke voices, but the C1000s can be made more directional with a little insert that goes over the capsule (at least the one I bought in the early 90s had this - don't know if they still do). Its a condenser mic so needs a 9v battery or phantom power, but is a lot more sensitive and worked much better with quieter girly vocals.

On the 'cheap-and-cheerful' front, I've kept a Peavey PVi microphone in the live collection alongside a bunch of pricier mics as I've found that it really brings out softer voices; very high output for a dynamic and a quite 'cutting' quality which can make some peoples' voices a bit harsh but can work wonders for putting a bit of grit into the mix.

Gonna be an arse here but my advice is sing up.

I know its being a dick and sorry upfront but if you have the preamp gain up full and its not loud enough then its time to cut everything back and assess how everything fits.

As an example i recently had a band in one of the rehearsal rooms complain that they couldn't hear the vocals from the PA and it was constantly feeding back. their solution was to use the very large live rig that was stored in the room. thats a 4.2k per side PA, not good in a small room. I went in and looked and the desk was up full, the mics were up full, and the gain was at full. In a life situation that means feedback. So I got them playing and spotted the problem right away that the band was too loud. I turned the amps off and got the drummer to play and brought vocals in. After that was done i got the guitar and bass amps in and everything was much better.

So if you struggle to hear yourself with he gain up full its maybe not the mic thats the issue and just how you sing, or your bands too loud.

I'm gonna shut up now cause thats not what you want to hear, but its where I would go looking.

[quote name='Archetype' post='998577' date='Oct 24 2010, 01:09 AM']Gonna be an arse here but my advice is sing up.

I know its being a dick and sorry upfront but if you have the preamp gain up full and its not loud enough then its time to cut everything back and assess how everything fits.

As an example i recently had a band in one of the rehearsal rooms complain that they couldn't hear the vocals from the PA and it was constantly feeding back. their solution was to use the very large live rig that was stored in the room. thats a 4.2k per side PA, not good in a small room. I went in and looked and the desk was up full, the mics were up full, and the gain was at full. In a life situation that means feedback. So I got them playing and spotted the problem right away that the band was too loud. I turned the amps off and got the drummer to play and brought vocals in. After that was done i got the guitar and bass amps in and everything was much better.

So if you struggle to hear yourself with he gain up full its maybe not the mic thats the issue and just how you sing, or your bands too loud.

I'm gonna shut up now cause thats not what you want to hear, but its where I would go looking.[/quote]

Good point. On reflection, it could be that the practice room is so small, and with the speakers facing us, everything is amplified. Thanks!!!