Why become a member? ×

Diana Vickers Vs Chili Peppers!!

stingrayPete1977

If the Chillis do sue her, it'll make them look like idiots IMO.
They are a massive multi million selling band, she is a nobody wanting her 5 minutes of fame. What benefit will suing her give? They dont need the money and her song is hardly going to affect them is it?.

Yes 2 lines sound a bit similar, but so what, the rest of the song is completely different. Whether she wrote it or not, who cares..Let her get on with it. In 10 years she'll be back in Mcdonalds like the rest of the Xfactor "stars" and everyone will have forgotten her anyway.

[quote name='chardbass' post='993031' date='Oct 19 2010, 01:00 AM']Spotted the RHCP rip off on first listen of Diana Vickers track.
Jason Derulo has been at it for a few songs- In My Head is 'heavily influenced' by GaGa's Just Dance and his latest has most of the verse of Flashdance (What a Feeling) as it's verse. If you haven't heard it yet you'll know it when you hear it!

This was the most blatant rip-off in pop-rock I'd heard for a long time- sing the chorus of Pink's You and Your Hand (0.36 in)

over this chorus (from 0.33)[/quote]

The girl in ripped fishnets can rip off anything else she likes.

The Pink song is in the Axis of Awesome generic 4 chord medley.

Edited by spinynorman

Deffo rip off.

I was PC playing and ignoring the TV when it was on (wife was watching it) and as soon as she got to the chorus I noticed.

Still, the RHCP will get heavy and then it will all go away when Vickers people offer a profit share.

and.... she's admitted it in an interview:

[url="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3182787/Diana-facing-legal-action-from-Peppers.html"]http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...om-Peppers.html[/url]

Her lawyers must be going spare that she opened her mouth!

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='994039' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:24 PM']Has everyone forgotten how RHCP ripped off Tom Petty's Mary Jane's last dance? TP said enough people in the world were sueing each other and he couldn't be bothered.[/quote]

In that case surely Petty ripped of Lynard Skynard :)

[quote name='dood' post='992883' date='Oct 18 2010, 10:39 PM']Musicians are just running out of chords.... (includes Under The Bridge, funnily!)

[/quote]

The best video I have seen for ages.

As for DV the melody is clearly from under ther bridge. As Dood's video shows even if you have the same chord sequence it's the melody that will make the song an dwhat people will remeber it for. DV claims the chords are not the same, but all she has done is to use a different key. Hope she gets sued.

[quote name='mep' post='994197' date='Oct 19 2010, 10:34 PM']The best video I have seen for ages.[/quote]

I actually have a perverse want to cover that 'mashup' at a gig! - You could, in theory get away with playing just 4 chords for a whole set! How incredibly boring - but the easiest set you'd ever play!

Jeez, its sh*t like this that gets my back up......and would you believe it I'm talking about the crap that has been written here rather than the 'is it a rip off/isn't it a rip off' argument.

I've actually known Diana for a few months having met her through some musical contacts of mine and she's a sweetheart. Don't like her style, don't listen to it...think she's talentless?? well a very successful stint in the west end and the fact that I've been in a rehearsal room with her when she has sung tells me otherwise...

do we really need to slag someone off and reduce a chatboard I've come to love to nothing more than a page out of Heat Magazine??

Right, rant over

I actually said I quite like it and just because someone knows someone else personally it wont make everyone like her voice will it?
Im not a fan of making personal jibes at people but if the comments are in a constructive manner then what the problem? I dont like the weird hand jestures or the nasal tone she sometimes presumably puts on, Why cant I make these points (or is your comment aimed at the more nasty posts?) in a thread about music and musicians?

And the fact you have been in a rehersal room carries nil weight for me anyway as I know nothing of your taste or expertise in music, Some people like Florence and the machine to me its out of tune sh*te.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' post='997177' date='Oct 22 2010, 02:20 PM']Jeez, its sh*t like this that gets my back up......and would you believe it I'm talking about the crap that has been written here rather than the 'is it a rip off/isn't it a rip off' argument.

I've actually known Diana for a few months having met her through some musical contacts of mine and she's a sweetheart. Don't like her style, don't listen to it...think she's talentless?? well a very successful stint in the west end and the fact that I've been in a rehearsal room with her when she has sung tells me otherwise...

do we really need to slag someone off and reduce a chatboard I've come to love to nothing more than a page out of Heat Magazine??

Right, rant over[/quote]

I saw X-Factor when I was in the Netherlands this summer. I'm assuming that's different from what is shown in the UK. I find what you say here to be interesting.

This reminds me of the lawsuits between Joe Satriani & Coldplay last year (If I Could Fly & Viva La Vida) & Cat Stevens & The Flaming Lips a few years ago (Father & Son & Fight Test). It's obvious and inevitable that chord progressions are gonna be reused song after song & by countless artists, however when the melody & phrasing so closely match, it's obvious that something a little less honest is occurring. If an artist covers a song & releases it commercially, the composer is entitled to royalties, I don't really see how this differs, the girl has already conceded she's "taken inspiration" from it. I doubt Anthony Keidis & Co are too bothered about the song, or in need of the extra royalties, but I do think it lacked forethought and respect from Vickers & her label not to clear it before hand. Hopefully it'll get settled out of court and forgotten.

/2cents

[quote name='dood' post='994219' date='Oct 19 2010, 10:55 PM']I actually have a perverse want to cover that 'mashup' at a gig! - You could, in theory get away with playing just 4 chords for a whole set! How incredibly boring - but the easiest set you'd ever play![/quote]
They've taken some liberties though. For example, the Journey chord progression is 1,5,6,4. Save tonight is 1, m6, m3, 7.

[quote name='LLOYDWT' post='997395' date='Oct 22 2010, 05:38 PM']This reminds me of the lawsuits between Joe Satriani & Coldplay last year (If I Could Fly & Viva La Vida) & Cat Stevens & The Flaming Lips a few years ago (Father & Son & Fight Test). It's obvious and inevitable that chord progressions are gonna be reused song after song & by countless artists, however when the melody & phrasing so closely match, it's obvious that something a little less honest is occurring. If an artist covers a song & releases it commercially, the composer is entitled to royalties, I don't really see how this differs, the girl has already conceded she's "taken inspiration" from it. I doubt Anthony Keidis & Co are too bothered about the song, or in need of the extra royalties, but I do think it lacked forethought and respect from Vickers & her label not to clear it before hand. Hopefully it'll get settled out of court and forgotten.

/2cents[/quote]

I also hope there is an amicable settlement and it doesn't get as heated as the Satriani vs. Coldplay case.

I don't watch X Fuctor so I've never seen her before.
Having heard this for the 1st time, I can't imagine that at no point during the writing/recording of the track that someone didn't go "Er.. that's just like the Chili's" I mean they even use the same harmonies on it. :)
When I was in my longest standing originals band if during the writing process someone went "ooh that sounds a bit like ...." we'd scrap it and come up with something else. I guess when one becomes concerned with the business side of "the music business" the desire for originality becomes less important than "well if it worked for them...". Also we never came up a whole song in an hour - some of our songs took years to finalise.

This track seems to tip it's hat at a few different sources - it's pieced together from "I hear thunder", a quick snippet of Siuoxie and the Banshees, the Chili's bit and a sort of 21st century Kate Bushesque "Whoop" hook..... It's quite catchy though. :lol: