Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass

aceuggy

Ok, at the risk of being ridiculed I ask the question. Is there such a thing as a purely acoustic bass? Like an accoustic guitar without any electrics at all? I want something I can take to work on nightshifts and just noodle on without any amplification. :)

Not really, I think they all tend to have piezo pickups. Of course it doesn't mean you have to plug it in. I had one at my work so I could have a plonk at lunchtimes while learning a set of songs. The gig's passed and now I'm selling mine, if that's any help :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='987424' date='Oct 13 2010, 09:15 PM']Not really, I think they all tend to have piezo pickups. Of course it doesn't mean you have to plug it in. I had one at my work so I could have a plonk at lunchtimes while learning a set of songs. The gig's passed and now I'm selling mine, if that's any help :)[/quote]

+1 just because it has a piezo in it doesn't mean you can't just use it as an acoustic. The problem is that acoustic basses generally aren't very loud unless they have a very large body so some form of electrical amplification is really required so you can hear it over (or just with) any other instrument. The actual body itself is really more of a tone thing than anything i would have said.

I have an old Ozark which i play regularly, been playing it tonight in fact! They're quiet and most are a bit lacking in low end. My mate has a Samick which is really loud and bassy though, nice lookng bass too

I defretted mine a while ago and i'm really glad i did. Got the action much lower and it does a nice db impression, especially plugged in

As an acoustic for performance most just aren't loud enought, some of the cheap nameless short scale ones can be loud but clunky.
Ibanez ones are good but not too loud.
I made myself a shallow body fretless acoustic and a play it all the time unplugged, not loud but a great tone for at home noodling. Plugged in it's the bass I use about 80% of the time.
I'd be intigued to try the Fender (kingma?) bass , acoustic body +jazz neck or a Godin.

I wouldn't worry about whether it had a pickup- there are plenty of "accoustic" 6 stringers that can be plugged in , or not, that sound great on their own. The advantage being if you do want to amplify, it's no biggie.

I've had 3 electro/ accoustic basses - one was a Spider , short scale - bowed neck probably not worth fixing -"On loan " to a pal - not bothered if I get it back.
A bowl backed Ovation kinda thing Thomson Music? Good but the bowl back didn't sit comfortably, ok accoustically but prone to feedback if plugged.

Kramer Ferrington - bonkers looking with pointy headstock , lovely cherry red with binding- sounded great accoustically & with fancy pickups just as good amplified, Sold it & it's been much appreciated by new owner( he sorted out the "lifting bridge"issue) - one of these "wish I kept it" ones. :lol:

Not an expert but Ibenez seem to be the boys.
:)

[quote name='Johnston' post='991545' date='Oct 17 2010, 09:22 PM']If it's for noodling on in work I'd get something a little less bulky than an "acoustic". Like a Violin bass or an Ibanez artcore.[/quote]

This. Or get something small and portable (I'm thinking of the steinberger-a-likes), add one of those VOX headphone amps for potential perfect portable noodling experience.

Since getting an acoustic. it's been gathering dust for 2 years. I got it for acoustic jamming after the pub, but guitar's easier than bass when you're drunk :)