Why become a member? ×

Overdrive/Distortion pedals

Jonny Walker

[quote name='Alun' post='112584' date='Jan 2 2008, 09:27 PM']I know I'm probably in a minority but I still love the Ibanez Phathead PD7. Great range of noises from clean and clanky to out and out death metal and the tone controls allow you to dial in all the low end you want.

In fact the EQ is so good that I've been using mine with the "Clean" setting as a "smiley face" EQ for slapping.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]
... +1, currently doing the same!

my fave of all time though, was a 'coloursound supa tonebender' that a mate of mine had tweeked to fatten the bottom end...
somewhere down the line I gave it away! :)

I am not a huge fan of distortion/overdrive on bass guitar. I see it more as a special effect than an integral part of my sound.

Recently I purchased a Digitech Bad Monkey that I modified for better bass response. The difference is not huge - the BM doesn't suffer of any major bass loss to start with.

The original pedal was a little bit too strong in the middle frequencies for my taste. I also added a [i]character control[/i] (see attached picture). Now I can select “standard Bad Monkey”, “Warm” and “Deep”. :)

Overall I am very happy with it.

What are the mods to the monkey? i am quite happy with my bad monkey but after getting modding fever with my compressor i have come to realise most 'boutique' pedals are just standard designs with better components, I have soldering iron and i am no afraid to use it :)

TBH, I had a DHA VT-2 Twin (I think that's the one... The one with channel 1, 2, or both combined), and it just did not agree with my rig. I was waiting a long time for it, and I think I built it up in my head to be something which would blow everything else away. It looked sick, especially with all the lights on, and on a dark stage. But I couldn't get any usable tones from it. I tried EVERY combination of settings and came away feeling slightly gutted. Dave was very amiable about it and I got it refunded (minus a few bob for paypal fees), and I've since got a Catalinbread Hyperpak which is superb for what I wanted :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='137881' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:13 PM']TBH, I had a DHA VT-2 Twin (I think that's the one... The one with channel 1, 2, or both combined), and it just did not agree with my rig. I was waiting a long time for it, and I think I built it up in my head to be something which would blow everything else away. It looked sick, especially with all the lights on, and on a dark stage. But I couldn't get any usable tones from it. I tried EVERY combination of settings and came away feeling slightly gutted. Dave was very amiable about it and I got it refunded (minus a few bob for paypal fees), and I've since got a Catalinbread Hyperpak which is superb for what I wanted :)[/quote]

Although its an OD/D pedal i use the valve warmth for my overall tone (channel 1) and then 1+2 for anything i want to be more defined like a solo or just a great riff.

P.S. does anyone know what distortion Stu Zender uses on "Feels Just Like It Should" along with an envelope filter i think ?!?

[quote name='Muppet' post='137897' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:43 PM']I use one of Tasty's cast offs for distortion - a Crowther Hotcake Bluesberry XLF, and a Fulltone Bassdrive (at 18v) for my overdrive. Great sounds from both and highly recommended[/quote]

Half of this board uses a distortion I at one point owned :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='119330' date='Jan 12 2008, 10:47 PM']Curious to know what settings you're using to get that - I'm always on the look out for cool patches. Can you let me know so I can try it on mine?

Cheers[/quote]

HEy there

Sorry i would give you the settings right now, but all my gear has been up at our practice room for the last week or so, but when i gte my stuff back il be sure to post them right here

Rich

[quote name='cheddatom' post='138275' date='Feb 11 2008, 04:35 PM']I'm no big jamiroquai fan, but I know the song, and I think the Danelectro French Toast with octave up and a bit of the high rolled off after the pedal would really do what you want.[/quote]

Wow dude! I'm guessing you have a few pedals lol

I do mine from my pod. The setting sounds a bit like this: [url="http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishiscocks/Line6%20Bass%20Pod%20XT%20Pro%20samples/svt%20Rendered.mp3"]http://www.frozencloudmusic.com/~chrishisc...%20Rendered.mp3[/url]

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='137905' date='Feb 11 2008, 12:59 AM']P.S. does anyone know what distortion Stu Zender uses on "Feels Just Like It Should" along with an envelope filter i think ?!?[/quote]
That´s not Zender, that´s not even a bass. It´s a vocal sample of Jay singing/buzzing/beatboxing with his lips closed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered one of these and am very very excited, there has been a lot of hype from those who heard it at The Namm show over on talk bass, and only £59!

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=labs&ID=210"]J Lo Hyperdrive[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-James-LoMenzo-HyperDrive~ID~8587.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...ive~ID~8587.asp[/url]

[quote name='phatbass787' post='147353' date='Feb 26 2008, 06:02 PM']I have just ordered one of these and am very very excited, there has been a lot of hype from those who heard it at The Namm show over on talk bass, and only £59![/quote]

love to hear what you think of it !!