Why become a member? ×

Overdrive/Distortion pedals

Jonny Walker

I'm a big muff man all the way.

USA Little Big Muff - my "everyday" distortion, because it has sensible side-mounted jacks and the proper boss-type power supply input.

Black Russian Big Muff - "special occasions" distortion. Stupid jack placement and power supply (ie. none!) but just looks cool :)

The Little Big muff is a bit more tight and fizzy than the russian. The russian's big and fat, and full of crazy harmonic mentalism, but maybe lacks some of the definition of the Little Big Muff. I think I prefer the Russian one, but it's seriously unreliable, and not entirely practical, so the Little Big Muff has the permanent spot on my pedal board.

Other than that, I've used the ODB-3 before, and my opinions of it are mixed. I actually find it a lot more useful as a guitar pedal than anything else, but the blend control is very handy. I currently just have the Behringer clone version just as a spare thing to have kicking about.

I used to use a Boss MD-2, which was fairly average. It had a 2-band EQ on it, which was handy, but it lacked a bit of soul.

MT-2 is quite good on bass btw.

Anyone else ever tried an ibanez SS10? I use it, driving with a bit of OD from my zoom and mixed with clean/compressed. It's seriously noisy and very heavy for playing the old drop-D power chords (on bass - incase i get misunderstood).

I used to use an MXR Blowtorch but she was a little too modern & synthy for my taste so Ive just bought a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Overdrive from a fellow BC member.

ITS A MONSTER. Im soooo impressed with the flexibility and quality of drive. From warm growlin' to total B52 bomber drones with enhanced bottom end.

A very good pedal.....cheers Tim

Col

TBH there are a lot of really great pedals out there and as i have only tried a few i spose im not so qualified to answer, but i will anyway!

I've got myself an ODB-3 and i really don't think it's as bad as many would say, worth £30 atleast. Just don't be a tool and go full gain really! I've also got a USA Big Muff which i actually really quite like however about 5mins ago i bidded on the russian counterpart, especially considering it's popularity amoungst bassists. I know this is more of a fuzz but even so i thought it was worth a mention.

I've got to say though, perhaps my favourite distortion would be one that i created on my Korg A3000B and i really overuse it! It's very gritty but without too much gain, think Commerford and believe me im not far off.

Hope that helped :)

Rich

Does anyone have and feed back on these Moollon pedals?

[attachment=4808:cs_do2.jpg]
[attachment=4809:img_bass2.jpg]
[attachment=4810:img_chorus2.jpg]
[attachment=4811:img_eq2.jpg]
[attachment=4812:img_tre2.jpg]
[attachment=4813:img_wah2.jpg]

You've got to admit they certainly look the part!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='118913' date='Jan 11 2008, 11:39 PM']TBH there are a lot of really great pedals out there and as i have only tried a few i spose im not so qualified to answer, but i will anyway!

I've got myself an ODB-3 and i really don't think it's as bad as many would say, worth £30 atleast. Just don't be a tool and go full gain really! I've also got a USA Big Muff which i actually really quite like however about 5mins ago i bidded on the russian counterpart, especially considering it's popularity amoungst bassists. I know this is more of a fuzz but even so i thought it was worth a mention.

I've got to say though, perhaps my favourite distortion would be one that i created on my Korg A3000B and i really overuse it! It's very gritty but without too much gain, think Commerford and believe me im not far off.

Hope that helped :)

Rich[/quote]

Curious to know what settings you're using to get that - I'm always on the look out for cool patches. Can you let me know so I can try it on mine?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone used a Marshall JCM 2000 - one of the old school models (in that I mean, 4-5 years oldish) I didn't have my bass head for a band practice and used a JCM through my warwick 410. I couldn't believe the tone!! I felt like a Tim Commerford wannabe. It was amazing. So if you got lots of monies to spend, get ya' sen a Marshall JCM 200 100 watt Head. yeah baby!

[quote name='Joshbasscana' post='135582' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:03 AM']Has anyone used a Marshall JCM 2000 - one of the old school models (in that I mean, 4-5 years oldish) I didn't have my bass head for a band practice and used a JCM through my warwick 410. I couldn't believe the tone!! I felt like a Tim Commerford wannabe. It was amazing. So if you got lots of monies to spend, get ya' sen a Marshall JCM 200 100 watt Head. yeah baby![/quote]
sheffield ey? yeah do want to try a mesa duel rectifier for a dirty channel haha