Why become a member? ×

Overdrive/Distortion pedals

Jonny Walker

Ok, got my J Lo pedal s few days ago so thought I would share my thoughts. Gotta say in 20 years of playing and experimenting with gear this is without a doubt the best overdrive pedal i have encountered. It's very solidly built like a little tank and just begs to be stomped on! The variety of sounds is fantastic, setting the mix fairly low with drive up a little it just makes your bass sound warmer, more full and just generally more harmonic, everythings a little sweeter, great for blues. If you get a bit more aggressive with the controls you can make your bass just sound huge and absolutely filthy but bottom and top end clarity are retained whereas most pedals I have had just turn things to mush. With some more tweaking i managed to get that ever sustaining cello sound which is just amazing. True bypass too. All this and I have only had it for a couple of days. I use a P bass through an Ashdown Classic rig in case you were wondering. Best bit of all though is the price! I would happily pay double the asking price for this it really is that good. Think i may have to buy a couple more to have them all set differently! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ashdown Lomenzo Hyper Drive for me.
Awesome pedal.
Have to echo what Phatbass787 said.
Used mine the other night purely to boost the output of my flagging p-bass pickup.
Incredibly versatile - I have spent hours playing with it (ooh-er) !
May have to get another one (or two).

[quote name='phatbass787' post='147353' date='Feb 26 2008, 06:02 PM']I have just ordered one of these and am very very excited, there has been a lot of hype from those who heard it at The Namm show over on talk bass, and only £59!

[url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=labs&ID=210"]J Lo Hyperdrive[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-James-LoMenzo-HyperDrive~ID~8587.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...ive~ID~8587.asp[/url][/quote]
It better be good -- I've just ordered one based on your and Spider's recommendations. Thanks :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='WarPig' post='166620' date='Mar 30 2008, 11:01 PM']Im relatively new to this effects malarky, over the past couple of months ive built up a board, i use my sansamp BDDI 75% of the time, and my ODB-3 for when i want a more metallicy sound.[/quote]

you know, the more i read how much people like the sound of the sansamp's overdrive the more i think that mine must have had something wrong with it. i never got on with the sound of mine...

not a problem any more though.

[quote name='WarPig' post='166631' date='Mar 30 2008, 11:24 PM']it took alot of experimenting and time to find a setting that i liked, there was a fine line between 'too much' and 'too little'.[/quote]

do you find that as the signal level drops, the overdrive sounds suddenly disappears ?