Why become a member? ×

Which Squier?

webby

Well, I'm probably getting ahead of myself and therefore won't be making a purchase just yet, but I am eyeing up a new bass.

Before I joined the forum here, I'd shortlisted a jazz bass. I'm still a novice and the jazz has a slim neck. So, score 1 for the Squier VM Jazz. I like the natural finish 70's one and the black '77 one.

Then, after I introduced myself here and said I has just joined a U2 tribute act, it was suggested I get a Precision. So, I've read tons of threads about Precisions and I'm now coming round to that idea. +1 for the VM Precision. I like the amber body one.

The CV Precision is not one I'd heard about until I started looking around here. One member PM'd me about the one he was/is selling. Sounds nice, but I don't like the colour choices. Still, I wouldn't discount it completely.

Lastly, the VM Jaguar rears it's beautiful head. I saw one in a guitar shop recently but didn't even pick it up. Now I know more about it, it could be the one for me. Jazz neck (I think, at least in measurements), Jazz and Precision pups and superb looks.

All around the same price.

I am bewildered. A good time to be buying a bass though huh?

not to put any more choices in yer head, but id try a classic vibe jazz before i bought anything. with a jazz you can get a good approximation of a precision bass just by using the bridge pickup only. Plus you also have the two jazz pups to play with. I bought one several months back and im very pleased with it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=7628"]Grand wazoo[/url] is selling some cv squires right now. one of them is the one i reccomended with seymour duncan pickups already installed.

Edited by daz

[quote name='webby' post='985058' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:53 PM']The CV Precision is not one I'd heard about until I started looking around here. [u]One member PM'd me about the one he was/is selling. Sounds nice, but I don't like the colour choices.[/u] Still, I wouldn't discount it completely.[/quote]

No need to worry about that one... it's sold! :)

[quote name='daz' post='985246' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:22 AM']not to put any more choices in yer head, but id try a classic vibe jazz before i bought anything. with a jazz you can get a good approximation of a precision bass just by using the bridge pickup only. Plus you also have the two jazz pups to play with. I bought one several months back and im very pleased with it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=7628"]Grand wazoo[/url] is selling some cv squires right now. one of them is the one i reccomended with seymour duncan pickups already installed.[/quote]

CLassic Vibe Jazz? That's the white one yeah? Nice looking bass.

Until I get a chance to try these out, what are the benefits that one might have over the other? Obviously, I can see that the Jaguar has both pup styles so I see that as an advantage. In terms of looks, I think the Jazz bas looks the nicest, followed by the Jag and then the Precision, only cos the Precision is such a common shape (well, I guess it is the daddy of basses isn't it?).

At first, I didn't like the fretboard inlays, but I've come around to that too.

Btw, what is the bass used in this clip? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ww8xC391Gc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ww8xC391Gc[/url] Starting at 43 seconds..... Is it a Jazz?

If you like the Jazz shape, get a Jazz. If your bandmates want you to get more of a p-bass type thump out of it, wiring in a series-parallel switch is a fairly straightforward modification. Running the Jazz pickups in series gives a passable impression of a P.

Alternatively, if you're looking for a Squier with a Jazz body and a P pickup, the Frank Bello signature has it. Just a shame it also has a not-terribly-U2-like big ol' skull on it!

Another vote for the CV Jazz.

Really nice looking basses. They also have vintage style frets which mean they are smaller than average and i find this helps get a nice fast, low action.
The CV's also have a high mass (ie, sturdier) bridge that a lot of people, myself included, prefer.
The VM series have Duncan Designed pickups. Never tried one so cant comment but i quite like the standard pups on my CV Jazz although i think a lot of people do change them.
You really cant go wrong with any of these basses, i would say the biggest issue would be choosing a Jazz or a P. I really want a CV P but dont like the colour options.
A P will get you closer to Adams tone but a Jazz will also do the job IME and is easier to play (again IME).

[quote name='webby' post='985657' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:08 PM']Why exactly? The slimmer neck?

Thanks[/quote]

My advice would be to spend time trying jazz and precision necks. A lot of people find Jazz necks more comfortable and easier to play, but a lot don't. I prefer Precision necks. Jazz necks feel cramped to me with the narrower string spacing near the nut. Neither is inherently easier to play - its just what you find most comfortable.

[quote name='simon1964' post='985665' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:17 PM']My advice would be to spend time trying jazz and precision necks. A lot of people find Jazz necks more comfortable and easier to play, but a lot don't. I prefer Precision necks. Jazz necks feel cramped to me with the narrower string spacing near the nut. Neither is inherently easier to play - its just what you find most comfortable.[/quote]
This, I prefer jazz necks, myself. However I don't like how large the bodies are (same with any Fender bass really). You just need to try stuff and see what sound/feel you prefer. You can get jazzes with precision width necks and vice versa, and the neck pockets are all the same size anyway, so the necks are interchangable.

[quote name='webby' post='985657' date='Oct 12 2010, 01:08 PM']Why exactly? The slimmer neck?

Thanks[/quote]

Yeah, for me a slimmer neck and string spacing makes all the difference. Saying that, some people find them cramped and/or just prefer wider so its really down to preference.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='lanark' post='985909' date='Oct 12 2010, 04:47 PM']Can you get to a shop to try them out? You don't need to buy them from that particular shop.

I've been nothing but happy with my CV Jazz - love it to bits.[/quote]

Yeah I can. It's just a question of time and I thought I'd get some opinion here first.

Cheers

I was on the side of the fence for neither the P or the J camp. They both are great designs and both have amazing capabilities.

The P has the Motown bottom covered and the J can get into Guitarland for tones and timber.

The along came the Jaguar - and the P/J setup is just very amazing to me.

If I had it to do over - and I had a time machine - I'd go for a Fender HotRod and/or all the P/J combinations I could find and buy. WHY?

Well - although a P/J cannot BE both basses, it can come mighty close to each of them and together the P/J p'ups blended, are a whole new world.

A purist or just a nut case - and I include myself here - will argue that a P/J cannot be equal to either bass - and that's totally right in my eyes. BUT for versatility and application of multiple voicing and the ability to switch between them and even blend them both on the same instrument - is just so empowering for the player in a live playing situation.

You need a P-sound? Dial in the neck p'up.
You need a J-sound? Dial in the bridge p'up.
You need sumpthin' different? Blend them both.

{ [i]As much as I would like to play that Frank Bello, I can't pick up something so gruesome. Too bad they don't offer one a in 'Naked-Style " since I wouldn't be caught dead with one as ugly. [/i]}

It would be like dating a really ugly woman and having her wear a bag over her head so your friends won't see her face.

......... OR wearing a bag over YOUR head and one over her's, so your friends won't see you dating someone that's so ugly that YOU don't want to be recognized.

......... Or wearing a bag over her head, one over yours and ANOTHER bag over her's --- just in case the first bag fails.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

I cant see why a PJ cant nail the P tone 100%. As long as it has the neck pup in the correct position of course. After all, how many P basses sound the same anyway?

I too love PJs (and BJ's ;-) but i do prefer a Jazz body and neck. And normally the neck pup is in the wrong position on these basses, although there are exceptions of course.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='986043' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:36 PM']Really? Not according to the Squier website they aren't. I checked a while ago and the nut width is different.[/quote]

I've owned both (though not simultaneously) and if there's a difference then I didn't notice it! The profile, feel and even nut width felt exactly the same to me... dead easy to find out if the nut widths differ, as there are plenty of owners on here.

Well i haven't played the P so can't comment other than to quote the official specs.
There is a huge CV thread on TB so I'm sure the answer is there.
I do like the idea of the P having the vintage frets though. That's a plus in my book and the big reason I was going to buy Neils P ;-)

I own both the CV Jazz and P 60's bass. I bought the Jazz because I liked the [b]look[/b] and still do, however I recently bought a P bass ( Many thanks Graeme) and I prefer the sound I get out of it as well as the look. So my preference has to be the P. You really need to try both to see which is your preference

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='986038' date='Oct 12 2010, 06:33 PM']Classic Vibe Jazz and Precision necks are identical btw! :)[/quote]

a tad thinner surely ? The [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squier_classic_vibe_precision_bass_60s_fiesta_red.html"]Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass[/url] ’ is 42mm at the nut, the [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squire_classic_vibe_jazz_bass_60s_olympic_white.html"]Squier Classic vibe Jazz bass [/url]is 38mm at the nut. Or wasn't that what you meant ?

nb: I have no affiliation with Dawsons other than buying my own CV Jazz there, six month back when the price was £80 cheaper. :lol:

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='987229' date='Oct 13 2010, 06:24 PM']a tad thinner surely ? The [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squier_classic_vibe_precision_bass_60s_fiesta_red.html"]Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass[/url] ’ is 42mm at the nut, the [url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/squire_classic_vibe_jazz_bass_60s_olympic_white.html"]Squier Classic vibe Jazz bass [/url]is 38mm at the nut. Or wasn't that what you meant ?

nb: I have no affiliation with Dawsons other than buying my own CV Jazz there, six month back when the price was £38 cheaper. :lol:[/quote]

If there is 4mm difference in neck width then I certainly didn't notice it; having had both the Jazz and the Precision I'd have sworn that the neck profiles inc' width were exactly the same!

Obviously if owners measure the difference and they are 4mm out then I've no problem with being wrong... I'm always wrong in our house when it comes to every other aspect of life. :)

I will add the caveat that tbh I can flip between a pencil necked Zon Sonus or Warwick Streamer and my 'beefier' necked Bolin and I don't have an issue with the difference (though I can feel it). :)

I know people have been advocating the CV and VM range, but have you considered the slightly cheaper alternative Squier Precision specials? Has a J-width neck on a Precision body, with the added bonus of a J-pickup in the bridge position as well as a standard P-pup at the neck.

Mine works a treat, especially played finger-style over the J-pup with the neck pup rolled off a bit.

HTH, Ian