Why become a member? ×

Standin singer

munkonthehill

So its approx 10am this morning and getting ready for rehearsals 12-3. My brother phones me to let me know the singer isnt making it due to back trouble.

So for some reason its left up to me to get all the lyrics printed off and have them for us at rehearsal as the singer has the last batch I printed off.

So we have 2 guitarists, drummer and myself in the studio thinking,,,,sh*t, whos going to sing. So we decide,,,lets have fun, live band karaoke.

What a laugh we had, some real hit'n'misses during the course of the 3 hours but really was worth it. Im not a singer and in no way would I ever put myself forward for being a singer (this aint ego talking and im actually being all modest and stuff,,,I have heard myself and im quite flat :) ) but by god i wanted to try them all, and secretly I bleedin loved it. So yours truely basically hogged the mic for best part of our time in the studio. I had to give up the bass for a few of them like fire and good times bad times, but mainly played and sang which is something I never do.

So initially it was a pisser that the singer backed out at the last minute,,but it gave us a real buzz to do the singing and had a bloody good laugh whilst doing so.

I will now be secretly concentrating on playing and singing just incase this problem arises again and I will be more confident and relaxed . I wouldnt admit it to the other guys in the band but I feel like BC'ers can keep a secret hahahaha :lol:

"From little acorns grow mighty oaks" :) Keep at it in the privacy of your own home, :lol: and you should be able to sort out the 'quite flat' problem over time. I started 'singing' at a very similar rehearsal, so for most of the Bands I've been in for the past few years, I've learnt all the lyrics for the songs, and a few times we've been able to fulfil Gig commitments when the Vocalist has been unavailable/ill/indisposed. I recommend lots of reverb and delay on the desk, as it covers a multitude of sins! :)

I actually believe that the thing that attracts us to playing and excites us is the same whatever part we play in the process and finding a new way of 'getting involved' is always a pleasure, whether that is singing backing voc, starting a home studio or playing a new instrument.

Our band were all set up at a gig when we got a phone call (8.30 when starting at 9.00) to say our vocalist couldn't make it (wife involved in a fatal traffic incident... not hers). No option but for me the guitarist and drummer to quite literally step up to the mic and try it (luckily all 3 of us do some form of backing vocals during the set) We spoke to the management who were just pleased we weren't walking out. It turned out to be a cracking night especially when we announced to the audience what was happening and we had various volunteers from the crowd to do individual songs... one or two may have lied when they said they could sing but it was a laugh! :)

I live for those kind of impromptu moments when things send you off on a curve.

The two backing vocalists in my band actually front other bands. I don't have the voice to front a band & I certainly wouldn't sing lead at anything other than a rehearsal or soundcheck.

Re the OP, it's not a bad idea to tape yourself so you can be objective. It may be you really build with confidence & it may be you realise backing vocals are the place to stay. I assume the singer's back is a one off & this isn't going to develop into a bigger problem?

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='983947' date='Oct 10 2010, 11:30 PM']I had to give up the bass for a few of them like fire and good times bad times, but mainly played and sang which is something I never do.[/quote]

trying to nick my set? eh?
god help whosever has to put up with my singing.

Hey chaps thanks for the wise words and unexpected support. BC is the best :)

Im not really a singer though folks but I know that I could make a decent frontman. The singer will be back on Sunday so im put back to Mr no mic :lol: hahahahaha. But i did love singing the tunes.

So I aint going to give up and will definitly keep up the practice (in secret mind!!!!!!)

I find it hard though to keep the power in my voice when I try to go for higher notes, maybe i should start working on what keys I can sing in, however I would feel like an idiot asking my guitarist to transcribe at next rehearsal i stand in!

• 3 weeks later...

ok so just a little update on the singing front chaps.

Our singer at the time of the OP has been punted from the band by me due to his v-poor communicational skills and lack of team playing.

So we have a new singer in his place and his first ever rehearsal with his first ever band went really well. He has a decent voice but needs to work on it along with his confidence. However all in all it was an extremely promising rehearsal.

To guide and help him along I had a mic (infact all 5 of us had mics) as I am becoming more familiar with the lyrics. So between all of us we all did some backing vocals and I managed to hog the limelight for 2 songs which were hoochie coochie man and fire.

I reckon I will assume position of dedicated backing vox and thankfully I have all the guys in the bands backing too. I know this doesnt seem a big deal, however although I dont really have any confidence issues, I really just didnt think my voice was good enough.

Goes to show how when situations send you a wee curveball, depending on how you deal with them they send you on a path you thought best to avoid.