Why become a member? ×

Advice needed. Mixed cabs- "ohm improvements"

chardbass

Further to my UL310 post a few weeks back I'm looking for some advice on mixing cabs with different ohm-age with a view to scaling down the gear I have.
I have an Eden 4x10 XLT(8 ohm), 2x10 XLT (8 ohm) and have recently bought an Epifani UL310 (5.3 ohm)
The 4x10 hasn't been used for ages.
My head is an Eden WT550 which I see has a rating of 300, 500 and 750 watts at 8, 4 and 2 ohms respectively.

My question is this- If I use my UL310 and add the 2x10 as an extension cab what ohm-age is my head running at and would it be safe to do so?
I'm guessing so as it would be running at between 2 and 4 ohms?

It would be a fairly portable but powerful set-up without the weight and bulk of the 4x10 being needed.

I am sure the pinned thread on impedence has the formula for calculation but I can't be bothered to look.

This keeps getting asked. The cab with the higher impedence will get less power and unless it has higher sensitivity will probably be inaudible. However, if the frequency respose peaks where the other cab dips it may smooth out the overall sound. The only way anyone can tell is to use both cabs together and that means you will have to decide for yourself whether it sounds better/louder/whatever.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='112109' date='Jan 2 2008, 08:07 AM']I am sure the pinned thread on impedence has the formula for calculation but I can't be bothered to look.[/quote]

Didn't see the pinned thread but thanks for the nudge in it's direction.

Looks like if I stick the Eden on the bottom it may become a glorified speaker stand, but at least I get a bit more juice out of the head.