Why become a member? ×

Which Strings do you use?

AndyTravis

Currently using DR long ends after eons using Hi Beams.
Also using Daddarios XL's which I am getting used to.
They aren't as nice as the DR's or initially as bright but their life span is pretty consistant. They don't start overly zingy but don't tail off too quick either. As they can be a reasonable price plus they have a tapered B, I might keep using these.
DR's are the best but most epensive for me.

Also got a set of LB super steps to demo as well.

I really don't like any roundwounds any more, when I get a bass with them on I can't wait to change them but I'll play it for a while, if only to experiment with the clangy sounds & reinforce my hate for them :lol:

My favourites for a long time have been GHS 3060 Black Nylon Tape Wound, which I order from USA, about £16 a set + £5 postage. They are the best made strings I've ever tried, the quality & finish put many others to shame. They are very smooth with a soft flexible feel & I haven't worn a set out yet! Best of all - especially for anyone wanting to try Black Nylons :) they are practically *normal size*, 50 - 105, so not a problem to fit or feel. IMHO the best strings for that warm upright bass tone.
If you've tried Rotosound Trubass Black Nylons & they've put you off :) these GHS are what you need, Highly recommended!

Rexently tried La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass '1954 Original Oldies' but they are a bit stiff to me but I like the tones.

Fender 9050ML Stainless Flatwounds 50 - 100, are pretty good after a bedding in period, a bit nicer than the La Bellas even.

D'Addarios Chromes also have a good smooth finish but I only tried them for a couple of weeks on a bass I traded, so can't comment much.

Another of Rotosound's I didn't like were the Nexus Black Roundwounds, the coating seemed to disappear almost as soon as they touched a fret or if you use a pick!

The poll should really have been check boxes rather than radio buttons since anyone with multiple basses who's serious about their string choices will be using different strings on different basses.

I have:
La Bella Hard Rocking Steels on my 2 fretted Gus G3s and by Sei Fretless
Pedulla Nickels on my Pedulla Buzz and my Fretless Gus G3
Overwater Nickels on my fretted and fretless Overwaters
TI Jazz Flats on my Lightwave Sabre A

I've found that Rotosounds are fine provided that:
a) you by them when they are brand new off the production line which means I only ever buy them direct from Rotosound at trade shows
b) you only want a 4-string 34" scale standard gauge set. They don't appear to be able to make any other strings consistently.

Since so many people have been raving about DR strings I've been working my way through the range, but I've still to find a set that I like the feel and sound of.

I've never tried coated bass strings, but in a previous band both guitarists used elixiers on their guitars and I thought that they were probably the most horrible feeling guitar strings I've ever played which doesn't leave me in any hurry to try the bass versions.

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='982335' date='Oct 9 2010, 09:56 AM']Anyone know where I can buy Labella 'Deep Talkin' flat wounds?
Iv had a look on-line and the only ones I can find are like £50+![/quote]
Yes. :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELLA-FLATWOUND-BASS-STRINGS-/170548305891?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b5789fe3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELLA-FLATWOUND-BASS...=item27b5789fe3[/url]

[quote name='4StringFortress' post='982335' date='Oct 9 2010, 09:56 AM']Anyone know where I can buy Labella 'Deep Talkin' flat wounds?
Iv had a look on-line and the only ones I can find are like £50+![/quote]
[url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/LA%20BELLA/"]Stringbusters[/url] are £28.60 for a 4-string set.

To answer the OP...
Thomastik Jazz flats on the ACGs
Status Hotwires halfwounds on the SR5
DR Sunbeams on the OLP
D'Addario nickel rounds on the SUB
D'Addario Chromes on the Hondo
Nothing on the Hohner at the moment (doing it up a bit), but probably Status halfwounds when it's sorted

Status Hotwires on my S2
DR's on my Warwick

Used Rotosound for years then decided to try something new after trying out the Hotwires and having had a few sets of dodgy Rotosounds where the .40 was snapping around the tuner where putting a new set on.

Edited by gazhowe

rotos (50-110) for most of my basses.
easily the most consistent set i've used.
other basses have elixir, and i'm trying some Dunlops atm.

over the years i've used Dadd's, elites, Fender, dr, la bella super steps, tomastik, warwick amongst others.
i always come back to the rotos though

Edited by dudewheresmybass

As per you Andy, I've always been an Elites man. I think initially it was because they were available locally, but I've grown accustomed to their feel and sound. They maybe don't keep the zing as long as some others, but that suits me just fine. I vary my gauge depending on the bass and tuning, but I've come to conclusion that if my fingers can take it I'll be moving to the heaviest I can stand (50-110 at the minute, but only on my 34" scales) - it really does help my sound.

Edited by Bigwan

I've got a few different makes on different basses:

P basses - Steve Harris Sig Rotos
Fretless - Overwater flats
5 String - D' Addarios
other 4 string basses - Billy Sheehan sig Rotos.

Whilst I'm here, does anyone know what's different between the Steve Harris Rotos and the Jazz Bass 77s?
Both are flatwound and both are 45 - 75 - 95 - 110 guages, is it just the silk winding colours?

I am still finding my way with strings but for sure prefer flats to round.

Fender Jag has TI Jazz Flats - love 'em.
Westones both have D'Addario Chrome flats - these are both detuned and the extra tightness makes them easier to play when detuned, sort of back to normal. TIs flopped about too much.
Hohner B2A has just been strung with Status double ball end flats and I am really impressed. Similar feel to the TI's but cheaper.
Washburn Scavenger still has the same flats on it as when I bought it. They are probably the best of the lot but I have n idea what they are.
When I had a Squier VMJ fretless I had Rotosound flat black nylons on it and they were nice.

Daddario EXL 170's in 4, 6 and 8 string

Tried a few different makes and even had the Bass Centre force a set of Elites on me once (They lasted 20 minutes before I ripped them off the bass and gave them to a customer)

So Daddario's for over 20 odd years