Why become a member? ×

Mark King Appreciation Society

Pete Academy

I'm a huge Mark King fan.. he changed the way I think about bass.
He has a great sound on this Midge Ure cover of a Jethro Tull classic..shows that he's able to play on other artists' records (remember Easy- Nik Kershaw)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HEYD0U_t4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HEYD0U_t4[/url]

[quote name='Chris2112' post='982635' date='Oct 9 2010, 03:50 PM']I think today you can spot a good bassist a mile off, usually if he has his Level 42 licks together. A little bit of "43" here, a bit of "Mr Pink" there, most of the guys who have got their chops together now did it with Level 42 records![/quote]

That's a very bold statement. Speaking purely of myself,I've got my chops together,but none of it came from studying Level 42 licks. I've listened to them,and I quite like them,but I've never been inspired to learn any of their stuff....ever.

[quote name='Doddy' post='983023' date='Oct 10 2010, 02:54 AM']That's a very bold statement. Speaking purely of myself,I've got my chops together,but none of it came from studying Level 42 licks. I've listened to them,and I quite like them,but I've never been inspired to learn any of their stuff....ever.[/quote]

+1

I loved that French and saunders clip though,I cant beleive I have not seen it before and love the fact Gilmour has not over egg it just a tiny bit,Guitarists!

Mark has just played on Dominic Miller's new album - and he's unrecognizable. And so he should be, as it's Dominic's album and not Mark's. Mark is also the house bassist for the upcoming Prince's Trust gig (which he's been doing since the 80's) so to regard him as a one-trick-slap-pony is just plain wrong. Mark [i]is[/i] the King, and has done more for British bass playing than anyone else...nuff said. :)