Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Appreciation Thread!

BASainty

• 4 months later...

The last few months, it's all been about that wonderful Status Energy but I took the Yamaha on the job today - it's such a solid tool. Versatile and capable, a very useful member of the clan. 😃

RBX A22

RBX A22

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, VoodooChild said:

Hello,

a board user named "Reggaebass" recommended me to ask here.

Does anybody have more information on this specific version of yamaha attitude bass?

https://imgur.com/a/YXIjfED

looks like it was an attitude standard at some point, not sure if it’s a rebody, or something else. Not original though. Looks cool/quirky 

• Like 1

I can't work it out, the Standard and the 75M had dot fret markers but also had Yamaha and the three tuning fork logo on the headstock. 

The body doesn't seem to match any layout I've seen. The neck attachment looks right for a 75M but then the control cavity is wrong, plus the control knobs and jack look wrong to any PJ that I've seen. 

Could it be possibly be an early prototype? Maybe a homemade one but it looks very good quality, too good for homemade. 

It like it though. 

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

I can't work it out, the Standard and the 75M had dot fret markers but also had Yamaha and the three tuning fork logo on the headstock. 

The body doesn't seem to match any layout I've seen. The neck attachment looks right for a 75M but then the control cavity is wrong, plus the control knobs and jack look wrong to any PJ that I've seen. 

Could it be possibly be an early prototype? Maybe a homemade one but it looks very good quality, too good for homemade. 

It like it though. 

I think a fresh body has been made, or retopped. 

I recall fitting EMG’s to one and it had a cavity on the top.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The year is 2001. 11-year-old me is at the local music shop to buy my very first fretless bass. There are two available. One is a Yamaha RBX270F, basically the fretless version of the RBX170 I started out on, 2 years earlier. The other one is an amber coloured Yamaha TRB 5IIF I instantly fall in love with. Even at my age I immediately feel: this is it. This is the one. I want this bass.
But the TRB is over twice as expensive as the RBX and the RBX is also pretty cool (because it’s black, you know how it goes). So I got the RBX. No problem, I’m happy with my bass. 
Two years later I buy my first fretless Fender bass. The wish for a TRB was still there. I had a fretted one (also amber), I had a defretted version of the TRB I (the one with the slap cut), but never that one. The amber coloured, fretless one.

Fast forward to late 2022. I visit Dutch bass player Phaedra Kwant for a second episode of my podcast Basgasten. We chat a bit after the recording, and happen to stumble upon the subject of the fretless TRB. She says “well, I have a fretless amber coloured TRB that I bought from that very shop around that time. And I still have it.”
So she gets the bass and hands it to me. And I feel immediately: this is it. The one that got away. So I ask Phaedra to pleeeaaase think of me first should she ever sell it.

And then it’s December 2023. I get a text message: “Hey man! How’s life? I’m seriously considering selling the fretless TRB. Are you still sentimentally interested?”

And so, this morning, I went to Phaedra’s studio and take home the bass I wanted to take home almost 23 years ago. And it’s still as amazing as it was 23 years ago.

tEXIG3b.jpg

TbPrTYT.jpg

oeuQD7y.jpg

• Like 6

My 1982 BB2000. I love this bass. Such an amazing bass to play and the tone is absolutely brilliant. I’d lusted after these ever since I saw a Yamaha catalogue in the late 80s. Picked this up in April 2023. It’s a keeper. 
IMG_8292.thumb.jpeg.6fdb4f5f5def8c5072996ff1d9f4ddad.jpeg

• Like 7

On 29/01/2024 at 21:51, AndyTravis said:

Thanks to @casapete I have this on the way.

second one I’ve owned…

And this one’s staying 

IMG_7062.jpeg

You know my views on these Andy. 

Congrats on a fantastic bass. 😎

• Like 1