Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Appreciation Thread!

BASainty

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1318423203' post='1401917']
I really like the look of this bass .
I have never seen one before , could you tell me more about it please ?
[/quote]
It's A Yamaha BJ 5B and it's essentially a cross between the SBV reissues and a TRB5. The body shape and headstock come from the SBV, the pickups electronics and bridge from the TRB5 and the neck from somewhere between the two. It's the Blue Jeans signature model (there's also 6 and 12 string guitars) for Terry & The Blue Jeans a famous Japanese surf band and was a limited production run of 50 only. It's also the only 5-string bass with the SBV shape which is why I bought it. If you're mostly interested in the shape then there's [url=http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/list/sbv.html]plenty of 4-string models available[/url] and although the production has been discontinued they turn up fairly regularly on eBay. You might even find one of the [url=http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/guitar/archive/list/sb.html]original 1960s SB models[/url] although be aware that these are only 31½" scale unlike the re-issues which are the full 34" scale length.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1318425079' post='1401964']
Wasn't there a bloke on Bass World who had about 30 of these strangely shaped basses?
[/quote]
Yes PaulC IIRC. He seemed to be on a mission to collect every model in every colour combination. I think he gave up when he realised just how many instruments that was going to be, plus the fact that getting hold of the BJ 5B was going to be nearly impossible - mine is the only one I've ever seen that hasn't been either a Yamaha or Terry & The Blue Jeans publicity photo.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1315910194' post='1371610']
Ok guys, I just had to contribute

Introducing my 1979 BB1200, best bass I've owned, solid as a rock

[b]Now, ain't that a nice wood sandwich!![/b]

FOREVER GASING FOR A BB2000 IN THIS COLOUR!!

(Gasing for the cash to be able to buy it too!)
[/quote]
Wish I hadn't looked at this, makes me realise that I shouldn't have sold my one :)

Yours was the one with the EMG on it wasn't it Garry? I was considering yours before I came across this beauty on ebay.
It's tough letting go of some basses innit, they're like ex girlfriends; but sometimes you're glad to see the back of them! :-)

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1319741358' post='1418085']
Yours was the one with the EMG on it wasn't it Garry? I was considering yours before I came across this beauty on ebay.
It's tough letting go of some basses innit, they're like ex girlfriends; but sometimes you're glad to see the back of them! :-)
[/quote]
:)

Yep you are quite right on all counts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1287993721' post='999677']
QUOTE (Sean @ Oct 24 2010, 01:40 AM)
In answer to your question, yes they are very very VERY VERY VERY good indeed. So much so that I just had to have a fiver too. Epic 34" 5-string, ultra resonant and it has the best J pickup on the planet, it is huge.

Gorgeous! Are you bringing it to the SE Bash next month Sean?
[/quote]
Wow!

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1322387094' post='1450060']
Tell me more - looks outstanding!
[/quote]

The SB500 is not something you could pigeon hole.
Sort of looks like a Jazz but has different tones - fatter/warmer than the USA
and Jap ones I have.
The pots had shot it when I had it, so they have been replaced but wired as original.
With both on full it is sort of out of phase but not quite, if that makes any sense but
move either volume and all sorts of subtle tones come out.
I gig mainly Classic Rock and I can't say that it is ideally suited to that - It would hold
it's own and cut through but what it can offer would be more suited to Soul or Jazz.

The neck is nothing like a Jazz it's a handful but although I have small hands, it is very
comfortable. Nice weight and balance - Nice Bass!
Never seen another in the flesh, so would be great to hear form anyone who has got
one or had one and see if their thoughts are the same

Cheers. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My exquisite 1984 BB2000, acquired from the US a couple of years ago. Plays as well as it looks, beautifully resonant and responsive, can bark or sing. Great build quality. These old BBs are just fabulous basses.

[attachment=98615:BB2000-1.jpg]
[attachment=98616:BB2000-2.jpg]
[attachment=98617:BB2000-3.jpg]
[attachment=98618:BB2000-4.jpg]
[attachment=98619:BB2000-5.jpg]
[attachment=98620:BB2000-6.jpg]
[attachment=98621:BB2000-7.jpg]
[attachment=98622:BB2000-8.jpg]
[attachment=98623:BB2000-9.jpg]
[attachment=98624:BB2000-10.jpg]