Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Appreciation Thread!

BASainty

It's a lovely bass. It was the one I purchased when getting back into bass playing after a long lay off. Thought I would keep it forever, but I have been thinking about selling it, as I'm not gigging much and can't really afford the luxury of all these basses.

Here's my Yamaha Nathan East Signature.

It's a Mk 1 brought new around about 1994 to 1995. All original apart from the preamp. I found the original Yamaha one to be the only weak point in the otherwise stunning bass. It was replaced with a Bartolini 3 band not long after recording with it for the first time. The Yamaha preamp just seemed a bit hissy, even when flat. Once the Bartolini was in it, it was like night and day. A brilliant bass even better.

It's been my only constant, I've had so many basses come and gone but I've always hung onto this. Guess it's because it was my first "serious" instrument, all the previous basses I had seemed a bit amateur to this. I'm proud of the fact that every single dent and mark, scuff and ding, is mine. Particularly the couple of dozen cufflink dents on the upper horn where i got carried away pounding it on a new years eve gig!

Realised as I'm typing that I really should take it out more. Seem to play 4's mostly with a pick nowadays as I'm in a rock covers band but I think there's a case for taking it out next rehearsal and getting the love back ;-)

[attachment=60918:Basses_61.jpg][attachment=60920:Basses_68.jpg][attachment=60919:Basses_65.jpg]
[attachment=60917:Basses_60.jpg][attachment=60916:Basses_54.jpg]

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='982440' date='Oct 9 2010, 12:05 PM']More love the Nathan East signature here.. this time BBNE2[/quote]

Ummmmmmmm.

Love the detail touches like the tuners and the bridge looks awesome.

The BBNE is a through-neck 35" isn't it?

It'd be interesting to compare the original humbuckers with the jazz like pickups on the 2.

[quote name='tonyf' post='983113' date='Oct 10 2010, 09:53 AM']Ummmmmmmm.

Love the detail touches like the tuners and the bridge looks awesome.

The BBNE is a through-neck 35" isn't it?

It'd be interesting to compare the original humbuckers with the jazz like pickups on the 2.[/quote]

Neck through 34" - but the B string is surprisingly good. The circuit in it is really exceptional so I suspect that aids in getting the bell like clarity out of the bottom B. The individual bridge pieces are actually one of my beefs with the bass. The saddles move slightly and don't go quite as low as I want... but then again, I do play with a ridiculous low action which the majority of players wouldn't.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='984276' date='Oct 11 2010, 11:53 AM']Where's the motorbikes?[/quote]
I reckon a bass in Valentino Rossi's Moto GP #46 "The Doctor" livery would be awesome. Mind you he is off to Ducati next season.

I have a BB that you can see here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81828&hl=Yamaha+bb"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=Yamaha+bb[/url] and I have another two that you can find under the review forum. Great instruments and there's always room for another. I fancy a BB3000MA - great basses and they look so wrong with those totally stupid inlays.

[quote name='Sean' post='986339' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:19 PM']I have a BB that you can see here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81828&hl=Yamaha+bb"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=Yamaha+bb[/url] and I have another two that you can find under the review forum. Great instruments and there's always room for another. I fancy a BB3000MA - great basses and they look so wrong with those totally stupid inlays.[/quote]

I am very very VERY VERY VERY jealous that you have a Super BB!
I wish I could afford one I want one so badly!
What are they like to play? Are they worth the money?

[attachment=61212:_B4M_5E_...BqQ___35.jpg]
[attachment=61213:_B4M_NPw...p_w___35.jpg]
[attachment=61214:_B4MbRGw...q2Q___12.jpg]

TRB 1005 5 string fretless............picked this up last week, rehearsed it tonight for the first time, totally blown away! Fantastic bass, Mwah,rock,funk......it's got it all!
Nicked pics from the Ebay ad, will post some better ones soon!