Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Appreciation Thread!

BASainty

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/12/2020 at 20:26, Ricky Rioli said:

My very handsome TRBX604FM. Although I find its extensive sonic possibilities wasted on me - with hindsight, a BB434 would have been more suited to me - I like it very much nonetheless. 

Or, even better, a BB424.... 😬

Here's the two of them together 20210122_113600-01.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

RBX765A (1997) from Facebook for a stupid offer price.

Had definitely been in storage for a few years and the strings beyond redemption - pretty good condition otherwise with only a a couple of dents. Full clean and some new Dunlops and it's on the money. The EQ is much subtler than I'm used to, but it really seems to work.

This is a keeper, unless a RBX6JM comes up for a reasonable price. I now have 3 RBX's, somehow.

RBX765a.thumb.jpg.4cb50f502bf482efd66d0213c298941f.jpg

RBX765.thumb.jpg.bee65e301a0bbb6892518daa77612db8.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

RBX374 in Dark Oriental Green has joined. Got it for a stupid price delivered from Andertons on a Saturday (which somehow was free) with a case too.

It was pretty dirty and the strings were past it, but a good blitz and some new strings and it's on par with my Sire M5 for tone (in parallel with flat EQ).

453436359_TrioRBX.thumb.png.83f4ee846bfde92a9d6ead09bbb549d5.png

Edited by Machines
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Fella I traded my SUB for his BBG5S with bought a RBX (no idea which) as a replacement - he wasn't impressed - too trebly. I advised changing the strings.

Yeah, I agree most of the new ones are somewhat and the preamp can tame the glassiness but you do lose a bit of presence.

The 765 isn't at all however, sounds like a smooth passive Jazz, my current favourite.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have a TRB 6ii , just a thought, were these pickups and electronics used in any other of the models? TRBX / RBX etc. 
 The pickups each have a pot on the preamp board that takes the pickup from single coil mode to humbucker which although subtle is audible. 
The pre is active only, treble mid and bass pots, master volume and a balance pot, but I believe you can add a passive switch. 

The pickups look like the ones fitted in the pic posted above by Machines of the red RBX765. 

Yesterday late afternoon, a stray sunbeam landed on my dark red redburst flame maple TRBX, and it looked beyond amazing. When I tried to take a photo of it, though, it looked absolutely awful.

I've just now been trying to take a couple of photos of the flame maple, and it's so hard! (I also discovered that it's even harder to get a bass free of dust)

20210614_093624-01.jpeg

20210614_093420-01.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 09:43, Ricky Rioli said:

I've just now been trying to take a couple of photos of the flame maple, and it's so hard! (I also discovered that it's even harder to get a bass free of dust)

I use a moderately sized clean paint brush, brisk movements off the side. Works well in pickup cavities and bridges too.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My 1974 Yamaha SB-75

Rarer than rocking horse sh*t and heavier than a real horse !

Sounds and plays incredible, mint condition and even has the original case. 

Possibly the hardest to find bass they ever made.

🙂

IMG_20210705_093338.jpg

Edited by Mada Music
  • Like 3

On 26/07/2021 at 14:08, TheGreek said:

A very nice SBV which I do/don't want on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/rare-yamaha-sbv-500-bass/1405867759

Please send help......

or used £10 notes

I got one in dark green for a ridiculous £250 from an obscure guitar shop in the depths of Shropshire. It was nice, but the headstock dive was a dealbreaker. 

39 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

TBH I'm not sure about the body size

I thought that first of all with my 415, but I soon got used to it, I rest my thumb on the B just in front of the P pickup and don’t even notice the body 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 26/07/2021 at 14:08, TheGreek said:

A very nice SBV which I do/don't want on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/rare-yamaha-sbv-500-bass/1405867759

image.thumb.png.4ef42f9b8cc7d1cd7d447ada83c46ee2.png

Please send help......

or used £10 notes

I've kind of been keeping my eyes open for an SBV, in the if one came up at a bargain price kind of way. 

Luckily I'm in Cornwall and that's in Glasgow. 😁