Why become a member? ×

Humidity Worries

Bassman Sam

[size="2"][/size]I am going to retire to Thailand in a couple of years and am worried what the heat and humidity will do to the neck and electrics on my beloved '83 Fullerton '57 RI P Bass. My house out there is air conditioned and outside the temp reaches 40C and the humidity instantly covers you in sweat.

I intend to buy a Status S2 so no problems there but I don't want to turn my old P Bass neck into a banana.

Lets have your thoughts

Sam

The move from the UK to there should be managed carefully but once out there and its used to it, it wil be fine. It will require setting up but once its stabilised it will be as it is here.

Remember its not green wood - it is well sorted and now fairly old. All its wild bowing days are well behind it! (unless you abuse it of course!)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='980154' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:01 AM']The move from the UK to there should be managed carefully but once out there and its used to it, it wil be fine. It will require setting up but once its stabilised it will be as it is here.

Remember its not green wood - it is well sorted and now fairly old. All its wild bowing days are well behind it! (unless you abuse it of course!)[/quote]

Cheers mate, that puts my mind at rest.

sam

Unless the bass is bare wood then I wouldn't be too worried about it soaking up loads of moisture. I'd be more concerned about abrupt temperature changes when moving from an air-conditioned house to an outside gig and back again. The resulting tension changes on the strings (expecially when going back indoors) will likely put far more strain on the neck than the actual humidity of the place.

But I guess the local musicians must deal with it so it might be worth asking them when you get out there.