Why become a member? ×

First Gig in 40 Years

fryer

I love hearing stuff like this. I stopped playing at 27 as I thought I was too old ( :blush: ) and started again when I was 31 / 32 as I realised stopping was silly. I've seen bass players in their 70s since and I plan on just keeping going.

Enjoy the gig & fair play to you!

[quote name='fryer' post='980130' date='Oct 7 2010, 02:14 AM']Last played in 1969. Started playing again 2 years ago - just practising on my own. Joined a band 2 weeks ago, and have a gig this Saturday. 42 songs to learn, but looking forward to it.[/quote]

Good for you mate. I am in a not too disimilar condition, so I am really hoping all goes smooth for you.

So, 30 hours to go. I've worked out most of the songs - 60's covers - beatles, stones, move, kinks, searchers, roy orbison, etc. Now got to learn them and practise them. Assume it's ok to have a music stand, just for reminders?

I'm sure I used to have skin on my plucking fingers ( yes, plucking ) And I used to be able to feel the fretting ones.

Any tips on protecting the plucking ones - plasters ?

[quote name='fryer' post='981509' date='Oct 8 2010, 12:53 PM']Assume it's ok to have a music stand, just for reminders?[/quote]

I have a terrible memory so I have a book with all the chords for the songs written in it. I then write the chords next to the songs on the set list.
I had a 3 year break from gigging and I'm so glad to be back doing it.

Hope it all goes well and you enjoy yourself, which is the important bit.

[quote name='fryer' post='981509' date='Oct 8 2010, 12:53 PM']I'm sure I used to have skin on my plucking fingers ( yes, plucking ) And I used to be able to feel the fretting ones.

Any tips on protecting the plucking ones - plasters ?[/quote]

we should probably have a 'blisters' thread :)

I'm finding Tiger Balm amazing for encouraging very fast healing of sore fingers. Smells nice anyway :lol:

[quote name='fryer' post='981509' date='Oct 8 2010, 11:53 AM']So, 30 hours to go. I've worked out most of the songs - 60's covers - beatles, stones, move, kinks, searchers, roy orbison, etc. Now got to learn them and practise them. Assume it's ok to have a music stand, just for reminders?

I'm sure I used to have skin on my plucking fingers ( yes, plucking ) And I used to be able to feel the fretting ones.

Any tips on protecting the plucking ones - plasters ?[/quote]

If I get a cut or split on a finger, I always dip the tips in Superglue. Comes off by the end of the evening and doesn't really affect what I do. So, you could give them a dab before the gig. If it does wear off too soon, at least you've had the benefit for the first set.

40 years?? Wow...good luck to you :) I'm guessing you're performing today/now? Let us know how it went ^^

[quote name='fatback' post='981631' date='Oct 8 2010, 02:37 PM']we should probably have a 'blisters' thread :lol:

I'm finding Tiger Balm amazing for encouraging very fast healing of sore fingers. Smells nice anyway :)[/quote]

Tiger Balm is actually the best invention in the world ever...just a shame it's a pain to get hold of XD

[quote name='Neko' post='983405' date='Oct 10 2010, 03:36 PM']40 years?? Wow...good luck to you :) I'm guessing you're performing today/now? Let us know how it went ^^

Tiger Balm is actually the best invention in the world ever...just a shame [b]it's a pain to get hold of [/b]XD[/quote]

Sorry, not really trying to to hijack here-

Loads on ebay, bit spoilt for choice. Which sort do you mean, never heard of it before meself.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='983873' date='Oct 10 2010, 10:24 PM']Never mind ebay, you can get it in tescos and everything! No earplugs though...[/quote]

What whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? My tescos doesn't sell it :) they do sell earplugs though XD

Down in London the friend I was flat-sharing with always got it off his Mum...and it was extra strength imported stuff!! Boy did the fumes kill your eyes XD always did the trick though, even if we weren't QUITE sure what was in it...

White tiger balm is great for if you suffer from migraines, too! Just not the red stuff, it's too strong.

Yeah come on give us the news... I bet you had a great time!

I had 30-odd years off (and changed instrument - used to be a drummer) and loved it from the moment I got back onstage! Mind you I wasn't quite as enthusiastic as you re. numbers (we started with an open mic night locally so only had to do 5! :) ) although we did 35 at gig 3 (and I managed without documentary help!)

Keep it up! :lol:

OK, so I have now recovered. Didn't get to sleep 'till around 3, with music going round my head. Woke up at 11 am Sunday.

I added one song the day before, so total 43. Didn't touch the guitar on Friday or Saturday, as I was still working out the bass lines. There were four I hadn't done, so during the first set, the lead guitarist said 'Substitute' next. I said hold on, what are the chords for that ? The reply - 1, 2, 3, 4 . Got most of it by the end.

After the first set, I wanted to go home. I was shaking.

We all made a few mistakes, mainly what's next - verse or chorus, but followed the lead g and was ok. Runs I couldn't remember I just did the base notes.

But I struggled through it, and I almost enjoyed the last set.

Looking back it was good. Non-critical audience of around 150, and they enjoyed it.

A few weeks before the next one, so time to actually practise them.

All in all, very glad I started again. I'd recommend it to anyone.

[quote name='fryer' post='987201' date='Oct 13 2010, 05:50 PM']OK, so I have now recovered. Didn't get to sleep 'till around 3, with music going round my head. Woke up at 11 am Sunday.

I added one song the day before, so total 43. Didn't touch the guitar on Friday or Saturday, as I was still working out the bass lines. There were four I hadn't done, so during the first set, the lead guitarist said 'Substitute' next. I said hold on, what are the chords for that ? The reply - 1, 2, 3, 4 . Got most of it by the end.

After the first set, I wanted to go home. I was shaking.

We all made a few mistakes, mainly what's next - verse or chorus, but followed the lead g and was ok. Runs I couldn't remember I just did the base notes.

But I struggled through it, and I almost enjoyed the last set.

Looking back it was good. Non-critical audience of around 150, and they enjoyed it.

A few weeks before the next one, so time to actually practise them.

All in all, very glad I started again. I'd recommend it to anyone.[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed it :) hopefully it won't be 40 years till my next one :lol: I'll be 58...

• 1 month later...