Why become a member? ×

This guy is still awesome

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='978728' date='Oct 5 2010, 07:59 PM']It's been about a year since I last saw this, basically a kid in his bedroom out playing Flea on his own bass and song.

I'm sure most have already seen it but it's worth bringing back.

[/quote]
solid playing..

also great recording !

Saw the Igster live do this a few times in the 1980s. Cant recal who was on bass though. (I do know was it certainly weren't Flea though :) )

ps: the lad is on fire. Just depresses me i didnt take it up and stick at it, at his age.

Edited by daz

Call me a cynical old cnut (please do!) but is is it possible he's doing this by detuning his bass, playing along with the track slowed down and then speeding it up on the video?

There just seems to be a bit of Benny Hillness From about 1:40ish on Coffee Shop

Of course fair play to him however he did it.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='980862' date='Oct 7 2010, 07:31 PM']Call me a cynical old cnut (please do!) but is is it possible he's doing this by detuning his bass, playing along with the track slowed down and then speeding it up on the video?

There just seems to be a bit of Benny Hillness From about 1:40ish on Coffee Shop

Of course fair play to him however he did it.[/quote]

hmmm don't think so. It doesn't sound like that's what he did, not to my ear anyway. I think he's just so fast that it might look like he's playing faster than he is but if you look at his head as well as the actual framerate of the video it looks normal imo. Anyway yeah I was really impressed with that video i must say. It also kinda makes you appreciate flea as a player a bit more too.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='979331' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:01 PM']The kid is awsome and obviously enjoying himself. I'm never sure if this kind of clip inspires or depresses me. I aspire to that standard of playing, but sadly doubt I will ever achieve it.[/quote]

My sentiments exactly.

The guy has serious skill. I think this skill is amplified purely by the fact he actually LOVES playing. Anyone could probably get upto this standard, but you need to want to and practice like hell.

This time 14 months ago my fingerstyle playing was pretty rough. Fast forward to now and I use it for 75% of my playing, and the pick has took a break. All it took was a 'switch' where I forced myself to play everything with my fingers. Its still not how I want it, but its getting there. I also find playing 5 strings much easier with fingers.