Why become a member? ×

Clipping?

jamjarjay

I know this is a pretty basic question but...

For the entirety of my bass playing time I've used an amp that has some sort of indicator that it's about to clip or is recieving too high a signal (be that a little red light or whatever). However, I'm thinking of getting an amp which just so happens to not have this, so how can I tell I'm running too hard without damaging my head?

Thanks, :)

JJJ

[quote name='The Funk' post='111288' date='Dec 31 2007, 05:19 AM']That horrible speaker fart sound?[/quote]

You should be able to hear the amp clipping. Soon as it occurs, turn the gain down a bit... apart from that, I guess there isn't a great deal you can do.

[quote name='jamjarjay' post='111271' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:50 PM']how can I tell I'm running too hard without damaging my head?

Thanks, :)

JJJ[/quote]
Clipping can't damage a head. But a clipped waveform greatly increases the high-frequency content of the signal, and that can lead to overpowering and possibly damaging tweeters. If you don't have tweeters don't worry about it.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='111524' date='Dec 31 2007, 03:25 PM'][b]Clipping can't damage a head.[/b][i][/i] But a clipped waveform greatly increases the high-frequency content of the signal, and that can lead to overpowering and possibly damaging tweeters. If you don't have tweeters don't worry about it.[/quote]

Given the right circumstances, it can.