Why become a member? ×

JPJ 1x12" Mini cab - 500w

wateroftyne

[I posted this on BW/BT a while ago... I thought I'd repost it here for posterity]

Hi folks

My main and much-loved cab is a Schroeder 21012L, which is utterly marvellous and can knock walls down at 100 paces. Recently though, I've thought about getting something a bit more compact for small gigs, recording, rehearsals, open mics, and even the better theatres that are equipped with decent monitoring. My amp is a tiny Focus 2 that puts out 600w into 4ohms, so it would be a fantastic mini-rig. It would need to be something portable but with kick.... you know the drill.

So it was that I recently found myself in possession of a 12" 500w Eminence Delta speaker, and set about finding a cab to put it in. Nothing really took my fancy until I got talking to Bassworld's very own JPJ (Kev). He put forward a very convincing case that, for the cost of the parts + £50 (I suppose this will vary depending on requirements), he could build me a teeny tiny cab that would probably do what I was looking for. Why not? I asked him to go for it.

He regularly sent me photos of the work-in-progress - the speaker is mounted internally in a diagonal baffle which also has a port in it. As requested, there's no rear port as the point of this cab is that it's going to get used in some pretty tight places. I also wanted it horn-free. I'm not too fussed about 'em.

I picked it up about a month ago, and was mightily impressed!

To my untrained eye, it's well-built and reassuringly solid. It has a couple of speakon connectors on the rear plate, and fixed side-handles. Best of all, it's easily a one-hand lift.

I should stress at this point that I know nowt about cab construction and that - I just play 'em. I'll ask JPJ if he wants to drop by and offer some specifics re: materials etc.

So, how does it sound?

OHMYGOD... it's marvellous. I tried it at a couple of loud-but acoustic open mics first. The was an initial problem where the original spring-mounted handles rattled at certain frequencies at volume, but Kev took it straight back and swapped them for the fixed handles. Now, it's 100% rattle and buzz-free.

Then I used it at a full-band rehearsal. I had my Schro in the car just in case... but I needn't have bothered. This thing rocks. Even with the band in full flow, every note was warm and even, and it showed no sign of running out of steam. It was very Motown-sounding (I like an old-school P-or-J-with-flats tone) and my fretless P still sings. It's going to be great mic'd up in the studio, and I'll have no qualms about using it as a monitor in theatres.

In a nutshell, if you want to have a cab custom-built for a VERY reasonable price, drop Kev a line. He knows his stuff. And he's the double of Dan Tyminski! :)

Edited by wateroftyne

Looks good, I am considering (if i can muster the cash) getting one made but with a compression driver added for those highs, i PM'd JPJ and his prices are very reasonable.

quick Q, how does the 12" handle lows? i will be playing a 6 string through it.

Edited by d-basser

[quote name='d-basser' post='1358' date='May 18 2007, 12:47 PM']quick Q, how does the 12" handle lows? i will be playing a 6 string through it.[/quote]

Hello!

In truth... I dunno! A low E is as low as I'll ever get. You're welcome to try it if you're around this neck of the woods any time.

[quote name='d-basser' post='1358' date='May 18 2007, 12:47 PM']Looks good, I am considering (if i can muster the cash) getting one made but with a compression driver added for those highs, i PM'd JPJ and his prices are very reasonable.

quick Q, how does the 12" handle lows? i will be playing a 6 string through it.[/quote]

Well in testing, it handled my low B with surprising authority. Remember this cab has the Delta 12LF speaker, so its designed to go a little lower than a stock Delta 12. Mounting the speaker on an angle like this and effectively giving it a flare certainly helps with the dispersion.

If anybody is interested in one of these (or any other format for that matter) drop me a pm and we'll sort something out, ok?