Why become a member? ×

New boy advice for practice amp / gig setup

papadesophie

I got an Ashdown After eight 15 watt practice amp as an xmas present. It's a great practice amp as it's nice and quiet and is quite transparent, so different basses actually sound different ( I use a Stingray, a P bass and a Tele Bass with mudbucker). It has an 8 ohm out for an extension cab, but my question is, will the 15 watt amp be enough to power a 2X 10 cab for small gigs? I suspect not, and I'm sure I'll be told it won't be loud enough, but I'm in a 3 piece band, we play family parties mainly where we need to be quiet. At the moment (you're going to laugh at this), I'm using a Fender Rumble 100 1X15 combo, which is actually slightly too loud! It's never been above 25% volume in a gigging situation, which may give you an idea how 'loud' I need to be.
If the amp on the ashdown won't push a 2X10 to reasonable (i.e. practice studio space) volume, what's the point?

I had an ashdown 2X10 25 watt cab in mind.

Thanks for your advice.

My guess is probably not.... My Roland Cube 30 (but its only a 1x10) would just about do it when I tried (in a similar situation to you), and 30W IMO would be an absolute minimum for trying to drive a 2x10.

Although if you've got your mind set on a 2x10, and I guess the After 8 (being a pressie) will not be on the 'upgrade' list my advice would be try it...... You probably wont know if it will do what you want until you try.

Maybe a quick email to Ashdown?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='110857' date='Dec 30 2007, 10:26 AM']My guess is probably not.... My Roland Cube 30 (but its only a 1x10) would just about do it when I tried (in a similar situation to you), and 30W IMO would be an absolute minimum for trying to drive a 2x10.

Although if you've got your mind set on a 2x10, and I guess the After 8 (being a pressie) will not be on the 'upgrade' list my advice would be try it...... You probably wont know if it will do what you want until you try.

Maybe a quick email to Ashdown?[/quote]

Cheers all for the tips. I reckon I'll do both of the above, ie email Ashdown, and try it out if poss. I like the sound of the Ashdown better than the Fender, and my various basses just seem to sound more like they 'should' through it, so it would be nice to make it giggable, although to be honest I'm doubtful, and it's not the end of the world if i end up sticking with the rumble!

[quote name='papadesophie' post='111106' date='Dec 30 2007, 07:49 PM']Cheers all for the tips. I reckon I'll do both of the above, ie email Ashdown, and try it out if poss. I like the sound of the Ashdown better than the Fender, and my various basses just seem to sound more like they 'should' through it, so it would be nice to make it giggable, although to be honest I'm doubtful, and it's not the end of the world if i end up sticking with the rumble![/quote]
According to Ashdown the After Eight will drive a 2X10 comfortably, but I'm still not clear as to whether this will actually generate any extra volume? I really don't get the whole amp wattage thing. Can anyone explain? If I plug the after eight into a 2X10, I understand that the amp will only produce 15 watts, but with a cab producing 200 watts, would it be louder than with the internal speaker. I know that this is a basic question, and on the face of it sounds stupid, but that's because I am stupid. :)

In summary, would there be any point to getting a 2X10????

It would get louder with the 2x10, for definate. Thing is, its probably still not enough to get you through ANY gig, sorry.

As with anything though, you can always cheat and use the Ashdown sound on a gig. (Why is beyond me, Im not a fan of the cheaper Ashdown combos but meh) Just take a standard 1/4" cable from the 'headphone' socket on the ashdown and into the 'effects return'/'power amp in' on the fender. Just remember that the gain and eq on the fender wont work, and neither will the speaker on the Ashdown. In other words, use the ashdown to change the sound, use the fender to change the volume, et voila.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='papadesophie' post='112253' date='Jan 2 2008, 01:08 PM']According to Ashdown the After Eight will drive a 2X10 comfortably, but I'm still not clear as to whether this will actually generate any extra volume? I really don't get the whole amp wattage thing. Can anyone explain? If I plug the after eight into a 2X10, I understand that the amp will only produce 15 watts, but with a cab producing 200 watts, would it be louder than with the internal speaker. I know that this is a basic question, and on the face of it sounds stupid, but that's because I am stupid. :)

In summary, would there be any point to getting a 2X10????[/quote]

No that's not quite right, the cab wouldn't produce 200w, the cab is passive and can only put out as much power as is fed to it. The 200w is is maximum power handling.. i.e. a head producing more than this would likely damage it.

In summary no there isn't much point getting a 210 for it.