Why become a member? ×

stolen gear!!!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='thumb4bob' post='112011' date='Jan 1 2008, 10:01 PM']Sorry to hear about this, my drummer and I run a venue in leeds so we'll put the word out for you, the more musicians who know the better the chance of getting the a***holes[/quote]

thats totally awesome of you mate!!!

we'll catch them!!!! they really have picked the wrong group of people to mess with!!!

ps anyone in the keighley/bradford area check out the story in the telegraph & argus!!!!

:)

There's a crack converter's near where I work in Shipley. I'll pop in every few days to have a look around. I've printed off the list of items to look out for.

This stuff will surface somewhere and there are hopefully enough of us dotted around the area to keep an eye out.

[quote name='TPJ' post='112140' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:18 AM']There's a crack converter's near where I work in Shipley. I'll pop in every few days to have a look around. I've printed off the list of items to look out for.

This stuff will surface somewhere and there are hopefully enough of us dotted around the area to keep an eye out.[/quote]

:) :huh: :huh:

what an awesome community of people!!!!!

you guys rock!! thank you so much for your help!!!

together we'll get these idiots!!!

thanks again!!!!

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='112050' date='Jan 1 2008, 11:25 PM']we'll catch them!!!! they really have picked the wrong group of people to mess with!!![/quote]

"Their first mistake was commiting a crime,

Their second mistake was that it was against someone on basschat"

Sorry i don't think i can be of much help, there is a remote chance they might have travelled east to hull. Bit of a long shot but i could try the 3 music shops down bev road since they take a lot of used stuff off people's hands and i'm planning on going in one of them any way. Is that list everything or was there some more (i'm thinking drums here) stolen? I'll also try Cash converters if we go into town.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='111056' date='Dec 30 2007, 05:59 PM']What's BWB?[/quote]

Boys with ducks beaks i think.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='112458' date='Jan 2 2008, 05:53 PM']

"Their first mistake was commiting a crime,

Their second mistake was that it was against someone on basschat"

Sorry i don't think i can be of much help, there is a remote chance they might have travelled east to hull. Bit of a long shot but i could try the 3 music shops down bev road since they take a lot of used stuff off people's hands and i'm planning on going in one of them any way. Is that list everything or was there some more (i'm thinking drums here) stolen? I'll also try Cash converters if we go into town.

Boys with ducks beaks i think.[/quote]

that would be an awesome help!!!! seriously man if enough of us are aware these guys wont stand a chance!!!

check out the new list at the start of the post!! some items have been found!!! :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='112612' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:25 PM']OHHHHHHHHHHH sh*t!!!!!

i just checked over the 5 guitars that i got back from the police today!!!!!

my friends gibson sg now has a VERY broken headstock!!!!!!!!!

basterds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanna kick the crap out of the thieving gits!!!!!!!

crap!!!!!!

argh!!!![/quote]

to look on the bright side at least you have some of the guitar, also i saw a really good guide on how to repair a totaly munted headstock on the internet one time but can'te remember where, aslong as the neck area isn't broken it will probably be fixable unless there are bits missing?

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='112612' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:25 PM']OHHHHHHHHHHH sh*t!!!!!

crap!!!!!!

argh!!!![/quote]

Maybe a bit far from you guys - but Andy Viccars is an expert in repairing Gibson headstock breaks...
[url="http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/"]http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='ergon' post='112666' date='Jan 2 2008, 11:31 PM']to look on the bright side at least you have some of the guitar, also i saw a really good guide on how to repair a totaly munted headstock on the internet one time but can'te remember where, aslong as the neck area isn't broken it will probably be fixable unless there are bits missing?[/quote]

yep as long as the rest of the neck is in tact and you have all of the pieces you can glue the headstock back onto the neck, you might be able to do it yourself with some wood glue, sandpaper and finishing stuff. However if you get a pro to do it it might be expensive but they can make it look as if it had never come off.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='112587' date='Jan 2 2008, 09:33 PM']that would be an awesome help!!!! seriously man if enough of us are aware these guys wont stand a chance!!!

check out the new list at the start of the post!! some items have been found!!! :)[/quote]

you say the stuff was found in a case, was all of the stuff in cases?

crap!!!!!!

argh!!!![/quote]

Glad you got some of the gear back! - Has everything been dusted for prints/dna etc to bring these sh1ts to justice?

Hamster

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='113028' date='Jan 3 2008, 04:51 PM']yep as long as the rest of the neck is in tact and you have all of the pieces you can glue the headstock back onto the neck, you might be able to do it yourself with some wood glue, sandpaper and finishing stuff. However if you get a pro to do it it might be expensive but they can make it look as if it had never come off.[/quote]

Sorry but in IMHO - it's not as easy as that to fix - when it's done properly it often requires metal pins being added to support the break because of the stress caused by string tension. I've seen repairs look great until the first time the strings are put back on & it's tuned up...then it all comes apart again. Especially with Gibsons which are infamous for having weak headstocks. It's really not a job for an amateur & a pro repair will only cost around £150 - & like you say can be made to look 'invisible'.

[quote name='99ster' post='113119' date='Jan 3 2008, 07:17 PM']Sorry but in IMHO - it's not as easy as that to fix - when it's done properly it often requires metal pins being added to support the break because of the stress caused by string tension. I've seen repairs look great until the first time the strings are put back on & it's tuned up...then it all comes apart again. Especially with Gibsons which are infamous for having weak headstocks. It's really not a job for an amateur & a pro repair will only cost around £150 - & like you say can be made to look 'invisible'.[/quote]

concur 100%

job for a true professional...last few times I have seen it done hard wood dowels have done the trick allowing for a little flexibility in the tensioning which lets the neck and glue set properly.

I'm sure - hope so anyway - that your insurance will take care of it or the rehearsal room insurance...you may need to look into the liability/imdemnity clauses pertaining to the owner of the rehearsal rooms...but dont just accept their excuse of not their problem! they must have insurance for loss of earnings/contents/buildings and health & safety.

Edited by andy67

[quote name='99ster' post='113119' date='Jan 3 2008, 07:17 PM']Sorry but in IMHO - it's not as easy as that to fix - when it's done properly it often requires metal pins being added to support the break because of the stress caused by string tension. I've seen repairs look great until the first time the strings are put back on & it's tuned up...then it all comes apart again. Especially with Gibsons which are infamous for having weak headstocks. It's really not a job for an amateur & a pro repair will only cost around £150 - & like you say can be made to look 'invisible'.[/quote]

oh well a few months back someone had a headstock break on an SG and they were quoted £400. Luckily it was covered in their home insurance.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='113171' date='Jan 3 2008, 08:32 PM']oh well a few months back someone had a headstock break on an SG and they were quoted £400. Luckily it was covered in their home insurance.[/quote]

thats an extortionate quote..really would take a luthier around an hour to prepare and glue dowels/headstock and a further couple to finish off...£50 an hour would seem reasonable to me!

[quote name='andy67' post='113195' date='Jan 3 2008, 08:58 PM']thats an extortionate quote..really would take a luthier around an hour to prepare and glue dowels/headstock and a further couple to finish off...£50 an hour would seem reasonable to me![/quote]

+100
That's way over what anyone should be paying!
[url="http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/repairs.php"]Andy Viccars[/url] for example charges from £30 for a headtock repair & his work is as good as it gets.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='113203' date='Jan 3 2008, 09:17 PM']I know someone who knocked over his Gibson Les Paul after a gig and snapped the headstock off.
It was £65 to fix & the Luthier did an excellent job. Perhaps this was a particularly clean break that was easier, so cheaper, to fix than some.[/quote]

So easy to do - they will even snap off inside a case - I've seen a '64 335 (worth about £15K) fall over in its case (the original Gibson case). The headstock had snapped almost in two - because it's not supported properly in the old cases the neck can suffer from a 'whiplash' effect. And the necks are made from mahogany which is very brittle & just snaps into loads of splinters. Horrendous.
You have to VERY careful how you handle & transport Gibson guitars & basses - especially the old ones. You'll see loads of them with headstock repairs...

[quote name='99ster' post='113639' date='Jan 4 2008, 05:08 PM']+100
That's way over what anyone should be paying!
[url="http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/repairs.php"]Andy Viccars[/url] for example charges from £30 for a headtock repair & his work is as good as it gets.[/quote]

well it might have been $400 actually. Something like that.