Why become a member? ×

What makes a bad bass player?

benh

41 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Just watched a very interesting clip from The Tube in 1883 where AC is playing guitar on a song called 40, as well as playing chords he was doing harmonics etc.

Im sure that the haters will say it’s cos the bass line in that song was too difficult….

No, it’s because edge composed & played the bass line when they were recording it. AC didn’t think it was a good song (he’s not a Christian) as it was based around psalm 40 and had “gone for a walk”. Ever since, they’ve swapped instruments for this one song 

Edited by Geek99

If Adam Clayton is so bad, I've spent many years just not getting what a good bass player is.
Go back to New Years Day - AC drives that song - with precision, authority and above all good taste in note and phrase selection. Then take a look at City of blinding lights, live Chicago (on the tube). He so completely fits into the sound of that 4-piece and does what really good players in great bands do - locks into drums and builds a rock-solid foundation for the track, with added good taste and groove. His control of power and dynamics is a key part of how he drives a U2 tune along.

We may not love the music, but a very lot do (including me) and he does an excellent job in that band... IMO.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Soledad said:

If Adam Clayton is so bad, I've spent many years just not getting what a good bass player is.
Go back to New Years Day - AC drives that song - with precision, authority and above all good taste in note and phrase selection. Then take a look at City of blinding lights, live Chicago (on the tube). He so completely fits into the sound of that 4-piece and does what really good players in great bands do - locks into drums and builds a rock-solid foundation for the track, with added good taste and groove. His control of power and dynamics is a key part of how he drives a U2 tune along.

We may not love the music, but a very lot do (including me) and he does an excellent job in that band... IMO.

Yup. Never understood it. Always liked U2. 

Maybe not more recent stuff, but I really enjoy their early stuff.

I think the free album turning up on Apple devices was sort of their “Napster” moment 😂

And Bono seems to press people’s buttons…

But musically, I enjoy them.

• Like 2

I think a lot of the issue at stake with the disliking of Adam Clayton (see also: Guy Berryman) is centred around the fact that many people hereabouts could do exactly what they do, and yet these two are,  by virtue of being in the right place at the right time,  in very successful bands and comfortably wealthy as a result. 

And it’s easy to forget that few bands manage the personal aspects well over time. If AC was a massive overpowering personality they may have split years ago. I love their early stuff and I don’t see any issue with his playing at all, it works where it is. I think he probably realised quite early that he was on to something a bit special and has kept his head down and enjoyed the ride.

• Like 1

What makes a bad bass player?

Let's discount playing proficiency: time keeping, cleanly fretted notes etc.. (discounting these things as otherwise further discussion is moot..if you can't keep time or make clear sounds..you can't really play music with other people)

After that.. what is there to discuss without context? Jaco in U2 wouldn't work (at least from what I've heard) , nor Adam Clayton in a jazz quintet. I think beyond basic proficiency on the instrument, it is then all about the music, and you on your chosen instrument as a musician.

Are you a bad/average/good musician in the context of the group you're playing in?  Different styles of music require different skills.  If you can't handle the particular style for a given group.. in that context, you're not a good player..but you might be fine in another band.

I love players and sounds in their context..and re "sum of their parts" ..U2 and Pink Floyd bass parts ..are perfect.  BTW my fave rock bass player is Geddy Lee.

FWIW - the musicians I admire the most are session musos that can play..anything.  Surely that is the greatest discipline of all .. to be proficient in so many styles.  I don't discount the greats in whatever genre mind. 

IDK..to me this isn't a healthy discussion..yet I had to chime in (  :) ) .. As musicians (amateur or pro), we should just ask ourselves what our goals are, meet them if we can, and enjoy ourselves along the way.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I wouldn't write off his jazz chops unless I heard him try. To my ear he's very jazzy for a rock band!

I did once hear bonobo introduce him as “the jazzman” so maybe he does have decent non-Rock chops 

18 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Traditionalist think that Sheehan is a 'bad' bass player, according to their 'rules'.

Yeah, but he does have six number ones and his own record label - and writes for BTS.

Oh, you mean Billy Sheeran...