Why become a member? ×

What makes a bad bass player?

benh

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

once saw an obviously competent bass player, he was part of the band on a cruise ship, he played slap all over the verse of Alright Now, I'm still traumatised, so yes, taste is very important and can't be taught or learnt 

I'm feeling some kind of sympathetic trauma just hearing about that!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I don't mind flash but fine tune it at home, not on stage. Equally I am perfectly happy to watch a player who plays it safe but does it well. If you simplify parts to concentrate on a vocal, I am cool with that. I guess my point in a nutshell is be properly rehearsed for the performance you are able to deliver. Any deviation from this and I am not a fan. The occasionally mistake we're all guilty of but it shouldn't be every show!

Amen to that brother. If it sounds good leave it as it is, don't womble all over it.

On 29/09/2010 at 17:10, thisnameistaken said:

There are two types of bad bass players:

1) Bass players who you notice. If you notice the bass player he's doing it wrong.

2) Adam Clayton.

Disagree on both counts. You notice people like Squire, Entwistle, JJB, Jaco, Norman W-R, Jamerson, and they’re all doing it very right, IMO. 

Whilst there may be an element of humour in your statement, Adam Clayton is a perfectly good bass player so far as I’m concerned. He plays parts that work in the context of the music (whether or not you like that music is not relevant). Whenever I hear people slag him off I always wonder what they think he should be playing. Funky 16th note groove in With Or Without You? That would be bad bass playing. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

The bassline of One is sublime. It rules the feel of the tune with a velvet glove. Adam Clayton is a bass player's bassist.

I agree, I can never understand why he gets a bad press. He does exactly what the songs need. I'm not a huge fan of U2  and I can't stand Bonio but they have come out with some great stuff over the years

I'm not a huge fan, but U2 were and are the tightest band I've ever seen. Clayton undoubtedly has the ability to play lots and lots more notes than he does, but makes the CHOICE not to. No way a band can be that tight and powerful with a bad bass player.

• Like 3

Usually a guitarist playing bass: They have little or no thought of bass function or where a bass sits in a song and fribble away frantically like billio, making a horrible racket. They just think 'less strings, no chords easy peasy.' Wrong.

A lefty playing righty: Someone I know can't play a solid tight rhythm because he plays wrong handed. Everything comes out sounding all bibbidy bobbidy instead of dumdumdumdumdumdumdum. I know some players do it wonderfully, but some don't.

Edited by 12stringbassist

1 hour ago, 12stringbassist said:

a guitarist playing bass:

Story time.

One New Year's Eve I was in the audience when it all turned to custard. I surveyed the scene on stage. Bassist had vanished and LG was now 'playing bass'. I volunteered and LG was relieved.

I guess they were figuring it couldn't get any worse with the random sober guy volunteering and if it did the sight of some random playing his gear might spur their man to get back from his girlfriend meltdown problem.

We tore it up and I never saw the bassman again.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Usually a guitarist playing bass: They have little or no thought of bass function or where a bass sits in a song and fribble away frantically like billio, making a horrible racket. They just think 'less strings, no chords easy peasy.' Wrong.

A lefty playing righty: Someone I know can't play a solid tight rhythm because he plays wrong handed. Everything comes out sounding all bibbidy bobbidy instead of dumdumdumdumdumdumdum. I know some players do it wonderfully, but some don't.

You obviously haven't met my brothers in Law. Both brilliant guitarists and brilliant bass players. My ex guitar teacher toured with a well known band as bass player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubit said:

You obviously haven't met my brothers in Law. Both brilliant guitarists and brilliant bass players. My ex guitar teacher toured with a well known band as bass player.

Exceptions prove rules.

I have seen many a competent guitarist all at sea picking up my bass for a play. They would probably be fine if they had one at home and practiced on it but that's not who we are talking about.

It has surprised me in the past how clueless guitarists can be , one guy I played with years ago was brilliant on guitar, could play pretty much anything straight off, but when he tried to put some bass on the same stuff , it was like a little kid having a go, completely incoherent would be the best word !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

They would probably be fine if they had one at home and practiced on it but that's not who we are talking about.

Well if a bass player picked up a guitar at gig for the first time what would that sound like?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubit said:

Well if a bass player picked up a guitar at gig for the first time what would that sound like?

In my case, absolute trash worse than than the drunkest guitarist you ever heard. And I own a guitar that I hardly ever pick up.

But that's exactly the point, guitar players that think they can bass because it's 'only a guitar missing the two top strings'!

I doubt any I heard were first timers.

Edited by Downunderwonder

On 26/06/2021 at 05:24, ubit said:

Oh, yes - you can get musicians who are guitarists first and foremost, but who are all-rounders. They are the gifted people (like Prince) who can play anything well. They are not the ones I am talking about.

I'm talking about someone who is (in capitals) A GUITARIST, who happens to pick a bass up. They don't often think like a bass player. That's the problem.
They will try to do some little slap thing to impress the bassist whose bass they are holding, or some little bass solo, which they may pink torpedo up because the strings are wrong for them. They can't think like a bassist and there's the problem.

On 26/06/2021 at 09:46, Waddo Soqable said:

It has surprised me in the past how clueless guitarists can be , one guy I played with years ago was brilliant on guitar, could play pretty much anything straight off, but when he tried to put some bass on the same stuff , it was like a little kid having a go, completely incoherent would be the best word !

That's what I'm talking about.

Edited by 12stringbassist

9 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

. They can't think like a bassist and there's the problem.

My point is it works both ways. If a bass player picks up a guitar for the first time it’s a disaster.