Why become a member? ×

Headstock Shapes

Dave Vader

There is a reason for this, I just bought this on ebay for my cheap nasty bitsa Jazz copy
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300468131407&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_761wt_916"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...IT#ht_761wt_916[/url]

I don't really like the headstock shape, and I can't really cut it to anything remotely fenderish, I was going to hack the top off and put some 2-a-side tuners on it.
However, any other weird shapes you think could be done, feel free to put in your suggestions.
Don't like pointy things however...

Edited by Dave Vader

[quote name='maxrossell' post='971799' date='Sep 29 2010, 03:43 PM']How about something Parkerish like this? Very easy to do.[/quote]

Nice idea, but not a fan, it won't sit well with the mahogany and black pearloid J-body it's going on.

Also those are big tuners on the back, not much room for manouver.

I had hoped to do a blazer on it, but it doesn't look like it will fit.
(Had a killer decal planned for it, Imajazz Bass Copy, done in classic Ibby).

Probably the smallest 2+2 headstock I know of (which it's going to have to be) and one of the most attractive is the early Goodfellow shape. You should be able to use the current E & A tuner holes, but with smaller tuners (eg; Schaller M4)

I have small Schaller type tuners hanging about waiting for a project (which is what made me think of going 2 x 2) and that looks quite nice.

Also on that parker one, I'll have no string tree, and my g and d will pop like a poppy thing in the ad break between cheggers plays pop and top of the pops.

Nice plan though, I was going to do sweepy curves through the top, bit like a Vigier...
(mainly cos it might be easier than anything fiddly)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='971959' date='Sep 29 2010, 06:17 PM']I have those necks on a couple of my basses, branded Johnson. They are very thick, pretty much half a basesball bat. The notch and the end is good for pushing against you cab for low end feedback.

Why not slice off the bottom paralell to the g string and add something instead?[/quote]

It's a thought, don't use a lot of low end feedback in the 80s tribute band I'm playing in at the moment, I'll be honest. :)

And I really hate that notch....

feels lovely though, looking forward to having some strings on it.

I've drawn a 3+1 and a bit of a blazer/roadstar shape on it in pencil and am now gazing at it and trying to decide. Might wire up the body while I'm thinking, rather than going mental with a jigsaw and then changing my mind.

[quote name='ahpook' post='972048' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:09 PM']how about the majestic sweep of the ibanez blazer ?

[/quote]

Was my first thought, but looks quite difficult for my cack handed jigsawing technique. Plus that big bottom chunk is a bit more than I've got to work with.
If it weren't for trying to get that little point in above the tuners I might go for it (have already drawn a blazer outline on the back of the head, along with my 3+1 idea, which is growing on me).

[quote name='misrule' post='972088' date='Sep 29 2010, 09:09 PM']Could you hack it into something like this?

Cheers

Mark[/quote]

Not with my interesting sawing skills sadly.

And the performer head is a little pointy for me elom, sadly, as I could probably do that very easily :) but you could have somebody's eye out with that.