Why become a member? ×

[Ended]Buzzing on low notes

PerfectionBG

[s]When I just plug in my bass, there is no buzzing/feedback, but when I play the lower strings D/E/A there is a crazy buzz. It's driving me mad - I've changed all the knobs into different positions, sat it on foam made sure nothing was stuck in there. What's the problem?

Is it my bass or my amp? (It's a cheap B.B Blaster Practise amp)

If anyone wants a recording I'll post one. PM me with any news please![/s]

Dodgey sound? Is it the bass? Is it the amp? No. It's probably the Tesco Value battery powering your EQ!

Give it a try - if anyone on here has a similar lack of common sense as I, and didn't figure that out almost immediately...

Edited by PerfectionBG

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='970647' date='Sep 28 2010, 01:43 PM']When I just plug in my bass, there is no buzzing/feedback, but when I play the lower strings D/E/A there is a crazy buzz. It's driving me mad - I've changed all the knobs into different positions, sat it on foam made sure nothing was stuck in there. What's the problem?

If anyone wants a recording I'll post one. PM me with any news please![/quote]

Sounds like it might be fret buzz.
How low is the action?
CAn you, or a guitar tech, check the set-up.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='970714' date='Sep 28 2010, 02:32 PM']Sounds like it might be fret buzz.
How low is the action?
CAn you, or a guitar tech, check the set-up.

cheers

thebassman[/quote]

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, yet I tried it with my other bass and the buzz is there still and they can't both have buzz in the same places right? And it happens on open notes too

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='970647' date='Sep 28 2010, 01:43 PM'](It's a cheap B.B Blaster Practise amp)[/quote]

There's your problem.

I've yet to find any of these super cheap amps that's built properly. Most of them don't even bother putting the speaker in a seperate box to the electrical chassis.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='970829' date='Sep 28 2010, 04:19 PM']There's your problem.

I've yet to find any of these super cheap amps that's built properly. Most of them don't even bother putting the speaker in a seperate box to the electrical chassis.

A[/quote]

Ahh crap. Well, It's as if the amp can't handle low notes, and being a mixed variety player that isn't a good thing. I'll check it out close up, tweak, see if I can find an exactly problem. The amp itself has been fine until now.

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='970834' date='Sep 28 2010, 04:21 PM']Ahh crap. Well, It's as if the amp can't handle low notes, and being a mixed variety player that isn't a good thing. I'll check it out close up, tweak, see if I can find an exactly problem. The amp itself has been fine until now.[/quote]

Oh and what are the chances It's dodgy PUs? I'd doubt it highly but it's a possibility. I'm using a Warwick Rockbass Corvette, and I love it :) So I'd hate for it to be the problem. There is not obvious damage when you inspect it, very closely. So the amp may well have faulty wiring. What about the jack from Bass to amp? Would that cause it? It's as if the bass amp is too resilient to the loudness, and bassiness. (Add that to your dictionary)

Bam, Bam, Bam! Sorry for so many questions, and they aren't rhetorical although may seem it at first!

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='970834' date='Sep 28 2010, 04:21 PM']Ahh crap. Well, It's as if the amp can't handle low notes[/quote]

Got it in one. If you turn the volume way down on the amp the buzzing may well go away. Generally amps like this are built with a generic speaker and no thought is given to the sounds they need to produce. If you compare your amp to a similar sized but better designed amp (a Peavey Microbass is a good starting point) you'll really hear the difference. It may be time for you to upgrade your amp.

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='970838' date='Sep 28 2010, 04:25 PM']Oh and what are the chances It's dodgy PUs? I'd doubt it highly but it's a possibility. I'm using a Warwick Rockbass Corvette, and I love it :) So I'd hate for it to be the problem.[/quote]

Fairly unlikely. Rockbasses are pretty solid, well put together instruments on the whole.

A

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='971713' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:47 PM']Or a dry solder maybe.[/quote]

Well I don't know about the internal components of the Amp, and even it's even remotely serious I'll probably just get a new one.

I have a soldering iron - but I don't think a £15 amp is worth the hassle. Looks like I'll be buying myself a Peavey or an Ampeg!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='980297' date='Oct 7 2010, 10:35 AM']Absolutely no need to feel dumb or stupid. You've solved the problem and left a pointer for others to check. The battery wouldn't have been my first thought either.[/quote]
I agree , who'd of thougt it ? Me for one . Don't feel dumb , cause you'll be in good company with me ,and a few others on here I bet .

Look at it as imparting another piece of useful knowledge , cause I've certainly learnt something here .

[quote name='PerfectionBG' post='970647' date='Sep 28 2010, 01:43 PM'][s]When I just plug in my bass, there is no buzzing/feedback, but when I play the lower strings D/E/A there is a crazy buzz. It's driving me mad - I've changed all the knobs into different positions, sat it on foam made sure nothing was stuck in there. What's the problem?

If anyone wants a recording I'll post one. PM me with any news please![/s]

Dodgey sound? Is it the bass? Is it the amp? No. It's probably the Tesco Value battery powering your EQ!

Give it a try - if anyone on here has a similar lack of common sense as I, and didn't figure that out almost immediately...[/quote]

ha ha ha! :)

That reminds me of my experience at rehearsal a long time ago with my Warwick Corvette $$... I started getting this hiss, and just kept getting worse. I blamed the amplifier. I couldn't get it to work. I went to get the guy running the place... he plugged in a bass they had there and it worked just fine. He lent it to me for the rehearsal.
Afterwards he tells me "is your bass active?", and when I say yes he adds "then check your battery, I bet your battery is low".

I went home, and it was indeed the battery!!!

It was my first experience with active basses running out of juice and I didn't think of it. And... I even have a passive/active switch that I didn't think of trying at the time!!!

So don't feel too bad... it happens :lol: