Why become a member? ×

Ashamed of my home town :)

Beedster

I tend to keep an eye on anything musical on aBay within 5 miles of where I live, so this just popped onto my radar

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headless-Custom-Built-Electric-Bass-/290479943027?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a1f42d73&BackToListReferer=http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll%3FMyEbayBeta#ht_500wt_1154"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headless-Custom-Buil...a#ht_500wt_1154[/url]

That is the ugliet bass I've ever seen by far. It's been played by a professional bass player though, so it must be OK :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='967461' date='Sep 25 2010, 12:32 PM']I'm just heading into Canterbury but now I'm scared to go, I don't want to be in the same town as that.[/quote]

Shall we go and have a look mate :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='967467' date='Sep 25 2010, 12:35 PM'][attachment=59641:Ugly_dog.jpg][/quote]

Man, that is an ugly dog. I'd put £10k on that pic having been taken in Spain :lol:

[quote name='bumnote' post='967621' date='Sep 25 2010, 01:59 PM']It says its been tried by a profesional bass player to make sure it works, it doesnt say what his opinion was[/quote]
That's the bit I picked up on too. Or it doesn't say who this professional player was...possibly his mate who is in a band?

Vile, but slightly intriguing...

I'm just trying to figure out where all the bits might have come from. Control plate from a Ray-copy, pup from a Precision-a-like, body hewn from a dining table with a rusty spoon... but the neck? The angled heel makes me think Ibanez or similar, but they'd have to have hacked the headstock off.

I just have sincere doubts that the person who made that body has the requisite skill to fashion a neck from scratch.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='967684' date='Sep 25 2010, 02:52 PM']Vile, but slightly intriguing...

I'm just trying to figure out where all the bits might have come from. Control plate from a Ray-copy, pup from a Precision-a-like, body hewn from a dining table with a rusty spoon... but the neck? The angled heel makes me think Ibanez or similar, but they'd have to have hacked the headstock off.

I just have sincere doubts that the person who made that body has the requisite skill to fashion a neck from scratch.[/quote]
my guess would be a hohner jack bass or cricket bat, steinberger bridge too ?

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='967725' date='Sep 25 2010, 03:48 PM']my guess would be a hohner jack bass or cricket bat, steinberger bridge too ?[/quote]
That was my initial guess, but the Hohners don't have that angled heel. Hard to tell from the bad pictures, but the bridge doesn't look right for a Steinberger either (AFAIK): the tuning knobs seem to be offset from the line of the string/saddle, and there isn't that large flat area where the Steinberger stamp goes.

It's all a mystery. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='967729' date='Sep 25 2010, 03:55 PM']That was my initial guess, but the Hohners don't have that angled heel. Hard to tell from the bad pictures, but the bridge doesn't look right for a Steinberger either (AFAIK): the tuning knobs seem to be offset from the line of the string/saddle, and there isn't that large flat area where the Steinberger stamp goes.

It's all a mystery. :)[/quote]
on closer inspection, you're spot on... a mystery indeed ! :lol:

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='967748' date='Sep 25 2010, 04:13 PM']The neck plate looks pretty bespoke. :)[/quote]
Dunno... looks like something someone's bodged together to align with existing neck holes. Gah, I don't know. I'm probably just being far too cynical.

All I know is that if I tried to build a bass, this is exactly the sort of monstrosity that would result. :lol: