Why become a member? ×

2x15 Bass Cabs

civictiger

OK... I'll post this despite some truly dodgy playing.... :)

Here's a clip from a dep gig I did with a Vintage last year. There's a couple of songs - one with a fretted J, and another couple (from about 2:00 in) with a fretless P.

IMO - and despite the P being strung with flats - there's no indistinct mushiness going on here.

In particular, I think the fretless P tone is lovely, and it's a bass which is can get lost in the mix very easily.

[quote name='Conan' post='971380' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:20 AM']Sound that travels at less than 330 m/s. Obviously :) :)[/quote]

Ah, I see! :lol:

[quote name='Conan' post='971382' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:24 AM']And yes, at the end of the day it's down to your ears.[/quote]

No it's not! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='971382' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:24 AM']Nobody sane would disagree with that[/quote]

Oh bugger.

[quote name='Conan' post='971382' date='Sep 29 2010, 08:24 AM']however, it does get a bit wearing when people start trying to TELL you what sounds "best" and that you can't get this sound from that cab/speaker. etc, especially when you KNOW it to be inaccurate![/quote]

Yip.

[quote name='JTUK' post='971694' date='Sep 29 2010, 01:35 PM']Yep..I find it very wearing when people try to tell me what I should or should not hear.. out of different cabs etc ..
Which is why I tend to use, IMO, IMV etc etc..[/quote]
Fair point :lol: I tend to forget to put this on the end of everyhting I say

[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]But that's coz I'm always right[/color][/size] :)

(edited for removal of awful spelling)

Edited by Merton

EQ on the amp was set completely flat BTW...

Nice quality vid WoT! Of course, it doesn't quite convey the deep, warm low end that the cabs (particularly the Vintage) chuck out!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='979196' date='Oct 6 2010, 10:51 AM']EQ on the amp was set completely flat BTW...[/quote]
I may have lost track of proceedings, but I think those clips were all through Uncle Horrid's Gallien-Kreuger, EQd just how he likes it... a crank of the "presence", and maybe a little boost in the bottom. As it were. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='979224' date='Oct 6 2010, 11:02 AM']I may have lost track of proceedings, but I think those clips were all through Uncle Horrid's Gallien-Kreuger, EQd just how he likes it... a crank of the "presence", and maybe a little boost in the bottom. As it were. :)[/quote]

Oh. Yes, you might be right there :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' post='979265' date='Oct 6 2010, 11:41 AM']From my POV, it doesn't much matter what or wasn't tweaked as there is no law that says you can't touch the amp or bass, for that matter.[/quote]

:) The point being made was that the two BFB cabs sounded very similar to the Bass Doc's Old EV-loaded Fender 2x15, which is somewhat of a legend in the North East for it's biting, toppy attack. Thus proving that fifteen inch speakers are not inherently "slow or muddy". Further comparisons were made with a variety of cabs loaded with tens and twelves and, if anything, the fifteens came out as the most trebley option.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='979362' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:29 PM']Goddammit, another NE bass minibash I've missed...I really must check into BC more often![/quote]

It was actually all pretty impromptu and was originally going to be me and WoT trying out BE's Vintage. It slightly escalated from there, but there were only five of us! :)

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='979362' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:29 PM']Goddammit, another NE bass minibash I've missed...I really must check into BC more often![/quote]
It was very small and faintly impromptu. A proper big-room bash is overdue. Nearly a year since the last one!

EDIT: Beaten to it by Geoff!

Edited by BottomEndian

[quote name='Conan' post='979365' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:34 PM']:) The point being made was that the two BFB cabs sounded very similar to the Bass Doc's Old EV-loaded Fender 2x15, which is somewhat of a legend in the North East for it's biting, toppy attack. Thus proving that fifteen inch speakers are not inherently "slow or muddy". Further comparisons were made with a variety of cabs loaded with tens and twelves and, if anything, the fifteens came out as the most trebley option.[/quote]
WoT's Promethean combo was also pretty astonishing. A single 10 in a small box kicking out an unfeasible amount of bottom. Loud as hell too.

Well, I wasn't there.
The sound that comes across on video isn't bad in a couple of instances.

I'll give you the biting attack..but not toppy, IMV.
I don't think the cabs were being made to work that hard EQ, tbqh..but like I said, I wasn't there to know what was going on.

[quote name='JTUK' post='979383' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:52 PM']Well, I wasn't there.
The sound that comes across on video isn't bad in a couple of instances.

I'll give you the biting attack..but not toppy, IMV.
I don't think the cabs were being made to work that hard EQ, tbqh..but like I said, I wasn't there to know what was going on.[/quote]
OK. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='979367' date='Oct 6 2010, 01:35 PM']It was very small and faintly impromptu. A proper big-room bash is overdue. Nearly a year since the last one!

EDIT: Beaten to it by Geoff![/quote]

Hehe no worries chaps I should've twigged it was just a small do, when I look properly that looks like First Ave rehearsal room in the vid, so yes, not really big enough for a proper NE bash :)