Why become a member? ×

2x15 Bass Cabs

civictiger

Hey guys, im looking to buy a 2x15 Bass Cab..

does anyone have/know if the Markbass 152HR is any good?
my college has a Markbass Endorsement which means we get 50% off of their products, so if this is a good cab im obviously gonna look into it!!

However, I am also interested in the Mesa Powerhouse 2x15.. but it again, is a bit costly.. or also maybe a Peavey Tour 215 or a Hartke 215 for a cheap option..
also interested in an Ampeg 215 but, it seems like they are pretty hard to come by?

I would also look into getting a Marshall 7215, but they are so rare I wouldnt know where to START to look for one!

If you can get 50% off a new markbass thats deff good + points for that cab! On a personal level, i'm not keen on the cabs from my limeted experience. never tried the 1x15 though, let alone 2..

If you can afford the difference, the mesa will probably bring the biggest smile to your face the 1x15 is pretty beastly, so 2 = doom! :)

As for the cheaper options, obviously wont be on the level of the more expensive alternatives on at least one level (build, power, sound etc), would the saved money be usefull enough?

Mesa Boogie 15's, especially the older ones with the EV speakers, are so good but if you have the chance of a half priced Markbass I guess you should try one at least.

I'll admit I'm not much of an MB cabs fan (I would prefer a couple of 410’s to a 215 anyway), but if I was going for a 215 cab I would check out the Barefacedbass Vintage first.

If you are going for Markbass and get a discount, I would recommend their new NY122. I briefly owned it, and if you are looking for a compact, very loud, and quite neutral cabinet, this is the way to go. Dont be fooled by its size. It is incredibly loud. I would have kept it if it didnt already have other cabinets that are similar.

With apologies to Crocodile Dundee, [i]that's[/i] not a lightweight 2x15...[i]the Schroeder 1515L[/i] is a lightweight 2x15... :)

I like mine very much, and at about 40lbs, it does stairs, too... although if you're after the look of a trouser-enhancing 6ft bass stack behind you onstage, it might not be what you're after.

[quote name='Meenie' post='970528' date='Sep 28 2010, 11:51 AM']I'd suggest having a chat with Alex about the Barefaced Big Twin.[/quote]

I can't find reference to a "Big Twin" on his website.... is this a new model? Super 12 - yes, Big Baby - Yes, Big One - Yes.... :)

Hmmmm.... PCB215NT versus BFB Vintage, eh? :brow:

Both handmade in England. Both very cool looking. Both very light yet capable of handling high power. So much for the similarities - but what about the differences? Anyone here experienced BOTH? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='970569' date='Sep 28 2010, 12:37 PM']I can't find reference to a "Big Twin" on his website.... is this a new model? Super 12 - yes, Big Baby - Yes, Big One - Yes.... :)[/quote]
Big Twin is a 2x12" plus 1x6.5" monster that will destroy everything in its path. Not yet fully in production I don't think.

EDIT: from the man himself
[quote]the Big Twin. Essentially a 2x12" version of the Big One it plays a bit louder (~3dB), goes quite a bit lower (-3dB point shifts down by ~7Hz), and offers a 4 ohm nominal load to get the most out of typical bass amps, which combined with the greater speaker area and enclosure size makes it usefully easier to drive. Big cab, BIG sound, big price (unfortunately!) Pretty righteous though...[/quote]

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' post='970592' date='Sep 28 2010, 12:59 PM']Not really. You can get pretty much anything you want from my Vintage. I want rock tho :)[/quote]

15s are quite nice for rock. I still havent found a 15 that sounds like a 10 though.

So if you want punch and more sweet high end, 10s or 12s with a horn.

2x15 is great for rock no doubt.

[quote name='Merton' post='970592' date='Sep 28 2010, 12:59 PM']Not really. You can get pretty much anything you want from my Vintage. I want rock tho :)[/quote]

Is a Vintage 2x15"..? if so, expect the roll off around 3khz max ... so, No !! ..not possible to get any sound.
What you are likely to get in abundance is a heavy and slow but big 15" sound, which will need attack from a pick and everything you have on the amp and bass to get beyond a trouser-flapping dull thunky noise.

Some like and want just that...but anything else is very unlikely without additional help with higher frequencies. IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='970607' date='Sep 28 2010, 01:08 PM']Is a Vintage 2x15"..? if so, expect the roll off around 3khz max ... so, No !! ..not possible to get any sound.
What you are likely to get in abundance is a heavy and slow but big 15" sound, which will need attack from a pick and everything you have on the amp and bass to get beyond a trouser-flapping dull thunky noise.[/quote]
Cobblers. I know - I've played one.