Why become a member? ×

Behringer Cabs???

phatbassdude

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='13529' date='Jun 7 2007, 02:12 PM']You want a killer cab sub £300, search out Basson, I have one otheir B210B cabs, which I use with my MesaBoogie 400+ and it is killer ( ain't it Ped ). I just couldn't believe how cheap these cabs are at the mo' , I think they are jsut trying to break the UK market so grab a bargain.

[b]110 lbs [/b][i][/i][u][/u][/quote]

Well good they may be but at that weight you do not want to lift their 8x10 version! :) and of course we have now left the realms of Behringer pricing way behind. Which for some is an unfortunate reality. Nice if you have readies and roadies

[quote name='woolleydick' post='13538' date='Jun 7 2007, 12:31 PM']Well good they may be but at that weight you do not want to lift their 8x10 version! :) and of course we have now left the realms of Behringer pricing way behind. Which for some is an unfortunate reality. Nice if you have readies and roadies[/quote]

Are the Behringer cabs much less than £300 ? I'd be surprised if you can get anything of any quality for that price. And the Basson cabs are great quality AND less than £300. If a Behringer cab was £200, I'd save a few weeks more and go for the extra 50 -75 quid. I think my 210 was £250, but that wasa while back.

And I wouldn't suggest the Basson 810, though I'm sure it'll be amazing if the 210 is anything to go by. Myself, I have an old Ashdown ABM810, trouser flappingly good, but the Basson 210 has more bottom end.

At the end of the day you gets what you pays for, but with Basson, you get a good bit more than you pay for.
S
p.s. No, I don't work for them.

One gig... our band did a kit share with another band. The bass player was gonna bring his Behringer full stack (including behringer head) but then asked if I could bring my ABM300 head for us both to use. I thought... fair play.

They didn't have a very 'full' low end, and the higher frequencies sounded kinda like there was a blanket in front of the speakers. Wasn't impressed.

I am one of those guys unfortunate enough to blow all 4 cones of a BA410.

I initially thought that the speaker grill was rattling - I had taken the badges off as I prefer a clean look to my gear.

I kept stuffing beer mats along the edges of the grill but it wouldn't stop.

By the third gig, all 4 cones had broken and I had to play the last 20 minutes with fart & tweeter.

BUT - - -

I emailed Behringer about it and they sent me out a brand new one within a couple of days! I can't imagine any other company doing this (if there are then let me know) they didn't need proof or anything. Maybe the panic in my email was enough.

So this put me off Behringer gear.

Don't do it! You'll lose your money straight off & always wished you'd got something better. But a better brand, 2nd hand on the For Sale section here. It'll last you longer and you'll be happier in the long run. It's that old thing: "you remember the quality after you forget the price..."

I'm a bit sceptical of the advertised 1000 watt rating for the 4x10. I get the feeling that if I put 1000 watts into it, it wouldn't last very long!

[quote]Are the Behringer cabs much less than £300 ?[/quote]

It's about £200 for the 4x10 and £130 for the 1x15 and 2x10.

I'd also like to report my experiences, because I think the story goes far beyond snobbery of any sort. I genuinely think buying a behringer cab will be a choice you will regret.

I played a show recently, supporting a touring band with a behringer bass rig. The room was tiny with no space for gear storage, and so i was told I could not use my 6x10 unless i wanted to carry it in for our set, and then take it back up 3 flights of stairs into the van. I said all the bands could use my cab if they wanted. The touring band declined.

So i said 'thanks for the lend of the cab', and they said 'no worries'. This was a little underground DIY show, so the idea of soundcheck was laughable. We went on stage, set up gear and quickly checked levels. It was now that I realised that my tech 21 head running through the behringer 4x10 was going to be a problem. I turned it up a little louder than i'd normally have it through my own cab, and I STILL couldn't hear it. I leant down a bit and it was only now that I realised two of the cones were covered in ductape. I battered through the gig, pretending to enjoy myself, but it was the first night out of the previous 75 shows where i'd had to use anything but my own cab... and it was awful. Give me peavey anyday, cheap and cheerful, built like a tank, and sound like bass cabs!

Afterwards I said thanks to the owner again, and he said "yeah... the speakers blew the first gig I played it with. to be honest, it doesnt sound any different to when it was new!".

hmmm....

OOOOHHH NNASTY!!!!!!!!! 1000w RMS means it should take 2000w for short times! I hate it when cab makers fob the rms ratings. I unnerstand it may be hard to get the ratings exact- & different amps put out differing power amounts, BUT.....................

[quote name='Delberthot' post='19219' date='Jun 17 2007, 06:08 PM']i emailed Behringer about the wattage rating to find out if it was RMS or peak or some other method and was told that it was RMS.

I blew mine up with a 500w Hartke HA5500 at about half volume[/quote]

See, I knew those ratings were bullsh*t!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='19441' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:41 AM']OOOOHHH NNASTY!!!!!!!!! 1000w RMS means it should take 2000w for short times![/quote]

Thermally yes but not mechanically, and as these are bass speakers it's the mechanical (i.e. excursion limited) power handling that matters. I'd bet that these Behringer speakers can handle barely 10% of their rated power mechanically.

Alex

[quote name='Waldo' post='19494' date='Jun 18 2007, 10:21 AM']See, I knew those ratings were bullsh*t![/quote]
I put my 650 watt head through my 4X10 and it A) Sounds great, really great, and :) Doesn't blow up in any way.
Just posting for balance here.

Edited by stewblack

[quote name='stewblack' post='19539' date='Jun 18 2007, 11:36 AM']I put my 650 watt head through my 4X10 and it A) Sounds great, really great, and :) Doesn't blow up in any way.
Just posting for balance here.[/quote]

But that doesn't mean you're actually putting 650W through the speakers.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='19640' date='Jun 18 2007, 02:38 PM']But that doesn't mean you're actually putting 650W through the speakers.

Alex[/quote]
Correct as it's a 4ohm cab it isn't the full 650 but someone else mentioned it couldn't handle a 500watt head, my experience is at variance with some others is all.

try it flat out for a little while & see what happpens. Then tell us here. Please
BTW I put my FEnder 300pro at 1/2 volume thru my SVT410HLF & the cab nearly farted it's arse out! But that amp is renown for being VERY LOUD. Still the cab was 500wRMS. Now I've tried the same volume(not more) thru my Berg NV610 & IS all clean as a whistle! Am too scared to turn up more-it's SO loud that way anyway-have to be in a stadium(or outside) to try it!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='rodl2005' post='20006' date='Jun 19 2007, 02:13 AM']try it flat out for a little while & see what happpens. Then tell us here. Please
BTW I put my FEnder 300pro at 1/2 volume thru my SVT410HLF & the cab nearly farted it's arse out! But that amp is renown for being VERY LOUD. Still the cab was 500wRMS. Now I've tried the same volume(not more) thru my Berg NV610 & IS all clean as a whistle! Am too scared to turn up more-it's SO loud that way anyway-have to be in a stadium(or outside) to try it![/quote]
Don't think I'll be running anything 'flat out' any time soon, but i have faithfully promised that should anything go wrong with any of my kit, the behringer or non behringer parts i'll be happy to tell everyone. So far, sorry, it still stubbornly refuses to blow up.

• 3 years later...

Er, I played on a Behri ALU 410 (450 watt) today, and it was awful! I couldn't get a nice sound out of it after fiddling about with it for about twenty minutes, actually asked for my monitor to be turned up and the amp down because I hated it so much! Bad hiss, and just generally awful... I've heard decent guitar amps, but never played a good bass amp by them.

I owned the aluminium cabs, a 210 and a 115. Every single one of the cones came away from the paper surround and quickly disintegrated, shedding shards of aluminium cone throughout. Then one day the cab died a painful death and took my amp (Warwick xtreme 5.1) with it, necessitating a massively over long repair (thankfully still under warranty). We also borrowed a 410 version at a gig and one of the speakers started dying after a few minutes of playing which cemented my view of them.

I'm sure a lot of Behringer stuff is very good for the price but I feel the alu cabs are so bad I'd go as fas as to warn anyone looking at them in a shop not to buy them, which is something I'd never do with any other bit of kit. I've never touched another piece of Behringer equipment since.

I used to own a Behringer 32 channel mixer in my studio, pretty good sound, and reliable as hell..... regret selling it.

After that I bought the 20 channel powered mixer, sounded ok but nowhere near as loud as the 1200w it claimed to be, don't regret selling that!

Used a 4x10 in a rehearsal room once, sounded awful.... After a few minutes of messing about with the amp, I noticed that 2 of the cones were seperated from the chassis almost all the way around the driver! Can't remember what the amp was. In one of the other rooms there, they had a Behringer 450w amp through a Marshall 4x10 and TBH that sounded quite good. The amp looked like a rip off of the Ashdown mag.....

I got given one of their aluminium coned 4x10 Ultrabass combos for free a few years ago. it didn't take me long to realize why, and I in turn gave it to someone else for free :)

Worst bass amp I've ever heard. No matter what settings I had I couldn't make myself heard out without drowning the whole band in a sea of mud. They make pretty good guitar amps, and their pedals have an unarguably good bang for buck quality... But stay away from the bass amps unless you've tried them for yourself first!