Why become a member? ×

Wireless System Licensing Guide

Noisyjon

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1467458284' post='3083808']
Reading back, I don't think anybody has mentioned 823-832 and 1785-1805 that are now included in the 606-614 shared mic license (as of March 2015)
[/quote]

Good call EBS_freak, I'll update the OP.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1467466433' post='3083891']
No intention to argue. It's like the government wants to charge to breath air. No idea who IFCOM are but reckon it's an agency that had the electromagnetic field pattended.
[/quote]

I get your point SH73 but working in the field I can only say we are spoiled by having OFCOM managing radio spectrum for us.
In the EU and especially the USA it's a very different story in terms of time & cost implications trying to clear frequency space to use.
IMO&E the charge for the Channel 38 license is well worth it knowing you're good to go, interference free (from Freeview, 4G, etc), UK wide.
I guess this is where the 2.4 GHz equipment neatly caters for those that don't want to pay for a license and where it doesn't matter e.g. jamming at home.

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1467468013' post='3083915']

I get your point SH73 but working in the field I can only say we are spoiled by having OFCOM managing radio spectrum for us.
In the EU and especially the USA it's a very different story in terms of time & cost implications trying to clear frequency space to use.
IMO&E the charge for the Channel 38 license is well worth it knowing you're good to go, interference free (from Freeview, 4G, etc), UK wide.
I guess this is where the 2.4 GHz equipment neatly caters for those that don't want to pay for a license and where it doesn't matter e.g. jamming at home.
[/quote]

Makes sense

Edited by SH73

• ped unpinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi @ped I think this is one of the threads that should be pinned, it's a matter of operating legally or illegally after all, surely information we should all have available to us . I'm a heavy user of Bass Chat and had never found this thread until today.

I do take your point about forums (fora?) needing to be organic places but Bass Chat has grown to be so much more than that and surely there is a place for the more considered 'Wiki' pieces where someone with expertise has taken the trouble to write a more cosidered post. Is there a way to have the more 'substantial' contributions available to newcomers to BC rather than some of the (ahem) less well informed kickabout that  happens in the general debate that goes on. :)  It's the nature of something this well written that we just need to read it and out questions and comments become less frequent and it disappears because even people as voluble as me realise there is nothing to add.

On 27/12/2007 at 15:07, Noisyjon said:

Since March 2015 this now includes the ranges of 823 - 832 MHz and (excluding Northern Ireland) 1785 - 1805 MHz.

It's a really useful reference source, thank you.

It might be worth highlighting the above paragraph, as the Ofcom website is really confusing when it comes to this bit.

Some channel 70 gear has these frequencies available and it's easy for people to fall into the trap of using them without having the licence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It might be worth adding the 5.8GHz band, which I assume is also free to use. Or maybe it isn't, Ofcom seems to say one thing, while GAK says it doesn't need a licence (https://www.gak.co.uk/en/wireless-systems?stockonly=false&layout=grid, near the bottom, "What is a Channel 38 licence and do I need one?"). Looking at https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/unlicensed-wireless-links/using-the-5ghz-band-in-the-uk/, I assume that 5GHz wireless systems would use bands A or B and therefore be licence free.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tauzero said:

It might be worth adding the 5.8GHz band, which I assume is also free to use. Or maybe it isn't, Ofcom seems to say one thing, while GAK says it doesn't need a licence (https://www.gak.co.uk/en/wireless-systems?stockonly=false&layout=grid, near the bottom, "What is a Channel 38 licence and do I need one?"). Looking at https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/unlicensed-wireless-links/using-the-5ghz-band-in-the-uk/, I assume that 5GHz wireless systems would use bands A or B and therefore be licence free.

As I understand it low power use (which radio mics/guitar packs are) is licence exempt in 5 GHz bands A, B & C.

This is the best info I can find on the subject:
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/136009/Ofcom-Information-Sheet-5-GHz-RLANs.pdf

• Like 1