Why become a member? ×

Amp Tech needed

bassjamm

Hi all,

Just bought myself an Ampeg SVT-II (non-pro model). Never owned an amp with valves in, let alone one with valves in the pre and the power sections, and i've never had to use an amp tech...but figured i should source a good one that's local to me.

I live in Grantham, Lincs. so if i could find one in this area it'd be a bonus, but anywhere in the East Mids would be great...Nottingham, Lincoln, Leicester, and Peterborough are all only about 30 mins away. I don't mind journeying further, the priority is based on finding a decent amp tech, not someone who has a rough idea!

Thanks guys.

Jamie

+1 i've spoken to him-email- & he's great & definately knows his tube stuff!!!!

Tube amps- make sure to let warm up for at LEAST 2 mins before turning standby on. Same when turning off-some say not to worry when turning off, but I ALWAYS do & never've had a problem.
- change POWER tubes every 10+ yrs not every year or so as some say. USUALLY only when YOU notice the sound deteriorating. My last tube amp-they lasted 15yrs+-being used at about 1/2-2/3 volume about 2x/week.
with a SVT2 I don't imagine you'll EVER be pushing the volume so the tubes should last YEARS. PRE amp tubes last 20+ yrs!!!I've NEVER had to change mine EVER!!!!
- as with ANY amp thats being used regularly & U want it to stay in top condition...get it serviced & the bias on the tubes checked every year or two.
- MAKE SURE you have a load(speaker plugged in-correct impedance ;-) ) on amp whenever it's turned ON ALWAYS-or output transformer can be toast!!!!! Make sure your speaker leads are good quality & in GOOD CONDITION!! if one goes while playing it's the same as having NO load!!!!!!!!!
- don't throw 'em round!!! :-) just handle them a little bit more carefully than S.State amps.
Do these SIMPLE steps & a BEAUTIFUL thick valve tone willbe yours forever!!!!!!!!
ENJOY!