Why become a member? ×

Thats odd...

lee4

My Status Groove is strung with 40-100 Elixir strings,which are getting on a bit.I have noticed a rattle on the E and A strings when fretted,not open,and this is only apparant when unplugged.
I've checked the neck,and raised the saddles but this is still happening.Could it be to do with the coating on the strings breaking down?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='960298' date='Sep 18 2010, 11:59 AM']Is it the length of string between the nut and your finger rattling?[/quote]
It sounds as though it is coming from the bridge,but there is nothing loose there.
No rattle when amplified either,only acoustically :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='960300' date='Sep 18 2010, 12:01 PM']Sometimes if the string is cut too short you can get a rattle. If you rewind between the nut & peg so there is more of an angle it can sound better. I had the same problem this week with my A string[/quote]
I'll give it a go.

[quote name='lee4' post='960719' date='Sep 18 2010, 07:59 PM']It sounds as though it is coming from the bridge,but there is nothing loose there.
No rattle when amplified either,only acoustically :)[/quote]
Hmm. Are there flat spots on the underside of the strings where the frets have rubbed?

I have Elixirs on all my basses, and can't say I've ever had this problem, even when the coating starts to get a bit furry. If it can't be heard through the amp though I'd be inclined not to worry about it too much.