Why become a member? ×

John Giblin with Kate Bush

Stingray5

Nothing new here, but I was doing a bit of Kate Bush tonight ( :) ) and just wanted to post a couple of her tracks featuring John Giblin's tastefully understated fretless playing - (imho, of course :rolleyes: )
At times, if I'm playing fretless, someone will inevitably ask, "oh, d'you know [i]that song[/i] by Paul Young...?" :lol:
All due respect to Pino but I'll tell them I'd far rather be playing either of these two.

Babooshka

Breathing

• Like 3

[quote name='Stingray5' post='958994' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:08 AM']Nothing new here, but I was doing a bit of Kate Bush tonight ( :) ) and just wanted to post a couple of her tracks featuring John Giblin's tastefully understated fretless playing - (imho, of course :rolleyes: )
At times, if I'm playing fretless, someone will inevitably ask, "oh, d'you know [i]that song[/i] by Paul Young...?" :lol:
All due respect to Pino but I'll tell them I'd far rather be playing either of these two.

Babooshka

Breathing
[/quote]

Two of my absolute favourites. I love Kate Bush's music, and these tracks have some superb bass playing on them. I used both at BIMM last year as examples of great fretless playing.

Must transcribe!

Stu

• Like 1

[quote name='Chris2112' post='959523' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:54 PM']There was a good thread on Giblin just a couple of weeks ago, it turned out that a lot of what I thought was Giblin with Kate Bush was actually someone else! (namely on Wuthering Heights!)[/quote]

Maybe, but there's plenty of great Giblin stuff with John Martyn and Fish!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='959523' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:54 PM']There was a good thread on Giblin just a couple of weeks ago, it turned out that a lot of what I thought was Giblin with Kate Bush was actually someone else! (namely on Wuthering Heights!)[/quote]
In fact, Andrew Powell (Producer) is credited for Bass (and Celesta) on 'Wuthering Heights' although on the rest of the album (The Kick Inside), the bass was mostly down to David Paton (remember Pilot? :) ).
On the 'Never For Ever' album, my favourite Kate album, Del Palmer also shared bass duties with John Giblin. She always surrounded herself with great players. 'Never For Ever' also included the excellent Alan Murphy (RIP) on guitar and Max Middleton on keys. Good stuff! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Conan' post='959528' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:56 PM']Maybe, but there's plenty of great Giblin stuff with John Martyn and Fish![/quote]
Yes, indeed. I had the pleasure of seeing John Martyn at The Dominion in '81 after the album 'Grace and Danger' came out. Giblin on bass and Phil Collins on drums. Great album. Great gig. :lol:

[quote name='Stingray5' post='958994' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:08 AM']Nothing new here, but I was doing a bit of Kate Bush tonight ( :) ) and just wanted to post a couple of her tracks featuring John Giblin's tastefully understated fretless playing - (imho, of course :rolleyes: )

Babooshka

Breathing
[/quote]

Wow! I'd never *really* listened to these songs before - I LOVE the slid harmonics in Babooshka - perfect. Love it! Brilliant bass line - I'm off to listen again!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='959996' date='Sep 17 2010, 10:43 PM']Is that just chorus on that fretless in Babushka, or is there more ?

T[/quote]
Certainly sounds chorused, maybe double-tracked too?
Or could be something like one of the Electro-Harmonix chorus pedals (Small Clone? Electric Mistress? etc.)...?

[quote name='Stingray5' post='960108' date='Sep 18 2010, 03:40 AM']Certainly sounds chorused, maybe double-tracked too?
Or could be something like one of the Electro-Harmonix chorus pedals (Small Clone? Electric Mistress? etc.)...?[/quote]

I was thinking the same. It would be great if someone could explain how to nail this sound, as it's that 'classic' fretless, typical of Jaco etc

Very similar to the sounds also used in 'No more I love you's' by Annie Lennox and 'Will you' by Hazel O Connor

T

[quote name='RhysP' post='959729' date='Sep 17 2010, 05:56 PM']I know I say exactly the same thing every time John Giblin gets mentioned, but his playing on "Babooshka" has got to be my favourite bass part ever. Pure class. What a superb player.

Kate's a f***ing genius too.[/quote]

plus the one !

[quote name='RhysP' post='959729' date='Sep 17 2010, 05:56 PM']I know I say exactly the same thing every time John Giblin gets mentioned, but his playing on "Babooshka" has got to be my favourite bass part ever. Pure class. What a superb player.

Kate's a f***ing genius too.[/quote]

+2

One of my all time favourite artists..and she has always had great musicians with her..Great bass playing on these by the way!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...