Why become a member? ×

John Giblin with Kate Bush

Stingray5

1 minute ago, jazzmanb said:

Its almost like two different artists really .I agree it gets a bit patchy later but I like the random madness of the later stuff more than a traditional song

Indeed.
When it comes to her songwriting I heard someone recently point out that the first 3 or 4 albums were full of songs where she was writing/imagining situations from other character's points of view. The later stuff is written from her own personal experiences....
Combine that with the change in her production methods etc and it really is like 2 different artists...

34 minutes ago, jazzmanb said:

The Ninth wave side of that Album is genius ,for me Kate really took off from there .She'd ran into P Gabriel and it showed in stuff like The Dreaming .Much more diverse and more about sounds than compositions .No boundaries,no pandering .That Dreaming album for me hasn't a duff moment and style wise its all over 

Agree about the Ninth Wave @jazzmanb

But all of what was Side 1 of the original vinyl album release are stunning songs in their own right too..

In fact, 'Hounds of Love' is one of my top 10 songs of all time... 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cetera said:

Indeed.
When it comes to her songwriting I heard someone recently point out that the first 3 or 4 albums were full of songs where she was writing/imagining situations from other character's points of view. The later stuff is written from her own personal experiences....
Combine that with the change in her production methods etc and it really is like 2 different artists...

She quoted Gabriel for "opening the windows" on Never Forever and she moved into using sounds to form ideas almost dropping the musical life she'd had to that point 

Some great thoughts and comments here guys. If any of you are interested we did a teaser of the new KB tribute band last night using a live stream from the singer and keys player on Facebook. The link is below and I’d be really keen for any feedback good or bad from proper fans of her work - thanks.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Digging this thread up again - I joined a Kate Bush tribute band back in February this year and have had to learn a lot of these tunes, invest in a fretless and learn how to play the damn thing too.

Agree that John Giblin is one hell of a player!

I don’t know if it’s been mention earlier in this thread, but for some full on Giblin action, check out John Martyn’s Grace & Danger, which I was steered towards in another thread.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I don’t know if it’s been mention earlier in this thread, but for some full on Giblin action, check out John Martyn’s Grace & Danger, which I was steered towards in another thread.

Yes.......Grace & Danger has some classic fretless playing on it. One of my favourite albums from way back.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I’ve been busy with my Kate Bush tribute band (Moments Of Pleasure) over the last few months although Coronavirus has stopped all the shows we had planned at the moment ☹️

This week we managed to record a “remote” version of Army Dreamers - let me know what you think.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

I’ve been busy with my Kate Bush tribute band (Moments Of Pleasure) over the last few months although Coronavirus has stopped all the shows we had planned at the moment ☹️

This week we managed to record a “remote” version of Army Dreamers - let me know what you think.

What software did you use for the collaboration?

7 hours ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

This week we managed to record a “remote” version of Army Dreamers - let me know what you think

Well done, guys - good stuff! Lisa-Marie really has Kate's facial expressions down, too. :)

7 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Well done, guys - good stuff! Lisa-Marie really has Kate's facial expressions down, too. :)

Thank you - I know when you say Kate Bush tribute act most people recoil in horror but we’ve had really great feedback both on social media and more importantly when we perform live.

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003
  • Like 1