Why become a member? ×

John Giblin with Kate Bush

Stingray5

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426034446' post='2713738']
We have an ex John Giblin Aria in the shop. I play it every now and then in the pathetic hope it might make me sound like him.

It never does. . . :)
[/quote]

Same here, but with the Takamine TB-10 he used in the Before The Dawn show. On the other hand, he doesn't sound much like me either, whatever bass he uses.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1426033000' post='2713729']
Alan Thompson.
[/quote]

Who always sounds spookily like Giblin to my ears! It's hard to tell the difference between them (IMO).

But for a (relatively) unknown bassist, Giblin has a hell of a CV! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1426031753' post='2713723']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68_rTmjQtE[/media]
[/quote]

Beautiful, just beautiful. :gas:

One of the great musical collaborations that never happened (IMO) - John Martyn and Philip Lynott. Now [b][i]that[/i][/b] would have been interesting! B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426077368' post='2714066']
Who always sounds spookily like Giblin to my ears! It's hard to tell the difference between them (IMO).

But for a (relatively) unknown bassist, Giblin has a hell of a CV! B)
[/quote]

He was the house bassist at Abbey Road Studios for years - not a bad job. :)

....don't forget his playing on a few Brand X albums too in the late 70's - try out the "Product" and "Do they hurt" albums and perhaps "Is there anything about".

These albums also feature the genius that is Percy Jones !

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1426106366' post='2714562']
....don't forget his playing on a few Brand X albums too in the late 70's - try out the "Product" and "Do they hurt" albums and perhaps "Is there anything about".

These albums also feature the genius that is Percy Jones !
[/quote]

Good recommendation - Product includes some two-bass action from both JG and PJ, eg Wal To Wal (just the two of them plus a Roland CR-78, and some Phil Collins), and And So To F.

• 4 years later...
On 17/09/2010 at 09:31, Stuart Clayton said:

Stu,

Did you ever transcribe Breathing? Only ask as I've just started working with a Kate Bush tribute act and next up to learn is this one which is a pretty daunting task!

Mark

On 17/09/2010 at 09:31, Stuart Clayton said:

Nothing new here, but I was doing a bit of Kate Bush tonight (

:) ) and just wanted to post a couple of her tracks featuring John Giblin's tastefully understated fretless playing - (imho, of course :rolleyes: )
At times, if I'm playing fretless, someone will inevitably ask, "oh, d'you know that song by Paul Young...?" :lol:
All due respect to Pino but I'll tell them I'd far rather be playing either of these two.

Babooshka

Breathing

Two of my absolute favourites. I love Kate Bush's music, and these tracks have some superb bass playing on them. I used both at BIMM last year as examples of great fretless playing.

Must transcribe!

Stu

2 hours ago, YouMa said:

I remember finding all these tracks so magical as a very young child. If I had been old enough to be Kate's bass player I would be married to her now. Amazing woman.

It’s amazing how KB is so Marmite - very few artists that divide opinion in such a way.

36 minutes ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

It’s amazing how KB is so Marmite - very few artists that divide opinion in such a way.

I will say that Joni is and always has been my absolute 'number one' female artist/singer/songwriter... ever. But I've also said that (imho), in terms of originality, production and character, Kate runs an extremely close second and, for me, is one of the very best female singer-songwriters to emerge from the UK. But that's just me. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunsfreddy2003 said:

Best concert/gig/performance I've ever seen in 44 years of going to gigs was KB's Before The Dawn show in August 2016..

It had everything - incredible songs, musicians, vocals, stage sets, choreography.. It was as close to artistic perfection as I think it's possible to get. And KB herself was the strangest mix of down to earth 'girl next door' and charismatic diva all at the same time. Just brilliant!

What she created was performance art of the highest standard and it was all on her own terms; no record label or product driving it - just the desire to tell her own story.. 

And for me, it was on another level of creativity altogether, better than most of my other favourite artists shows that I've seen over the years, including Queen, Bowie, Sinatra, Prince etc.. 

I love Joni Mitchell too, but to try and compare her and KB is pointless really - their musical DNA comes from quite different sources IMHO. 

We're just lucky that they've both created unique and beautiful bodies of work. 

Oh, and at the KB show, John Giblin with Omar Hakim on drums were absolutely unbelievable as a rhythm section.. 😊

Edited by silverfoxnik
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

Best concert/gig/performance I've ever seen in 44 years of going to gigs was KB's Before The Dawn show in August 2016..

It had everything - incredible songs, musicians, vocals, stage sets, choreography.. It was as close to artistic perfection as I think it's possible to get. And KB herself was the strangest mix of down to earth 'girl next door' and charismatic diva all at the same time. Just brilliant!

What she created was performance art of the highest standard and it was all on her own terms; no record label or product driving it - just the desire to tell her own story.. 

And for me, it was on another level of creativity altogether, better than most of my other favourite artists shows that I've seen overvthecyears, including Queen, Bowie, Sinatra, Prince etc.. 

I love Joni Mitchell too, but to try and compare her and KB is pointless really - their musical DNA comes from quite different sources IMHO. 

We're just lucky that they've both created unique and beautiful bodies of work. 

Oh, and  at the KB show, John Giblin with Omar Hakim on drums were absolutely unbelievable as a rhythm section.. 😊

Yep, I envy you that, Nik. I wasn't able to make the 2016 show, more's the pity. The words "eye" and "teeth" come to mind! ;) But from your description it sounds every bit as good as I would have expected.

15 hours ago, Stingray5 said:

Yep, I envy you that, Nik. I wasn't able to make the 2016 show, more's the pity. The words "eye" and "teeth" come to mind! ;) But from your description it sounds every bit as good as I would have expected.

2014, hard to believe it's nearly five years ago. It was amazing and a top three all-time gig.

JG's Takamine TB-10 from the show is still well-looked after I'm sure everyone will be relieved to hear.

• Like 2