Why become a member? ×

Office-friendly avatars...?

Dubs

[quote name='Dubs' post='963320' date='Sep 21 2010, 03:04 PM']Some replies have missed the point a bit, but thanks for the input anyway. I wasn't trying to start an argument or provoke emotive responses, just a discussion about what people consider to be appropriate or inappropriate for a music forum. I get the impression that the majority are cool with it though?

I know some people find it difficult to grasp, but my job does involve waiting around for processes to finish, during which time it's considered acceptable to take a break, read a book/paper or just browse the net - my boss and I even send each other links to stuff. When you're paying me you can tell me not to browse Bass Chat whilst at work, otherwise I can't see how the opinion that I shouldn't browse the internet at work anyway is at all relivant. The content I browse, however, may be becoming inappropriate...[/quote]

That's cool, I wasn't trying to imply that my experience was the same as yours, just that I didn't think it reasonable to ask that the wording of the site should be changed for my benefit. The fact that browsing at work is allowed for you doesn't change that you are asking everyone else to submit to a form of extra policing of the forum for your benefit.

I think people may be getting a little worked up that a few alternatives have been given, namely the orrible lofi version or the turning off of avatars (which would seem ideal) but you seem to not want to consider these, or at least not comment on them. I think they are a reasonable compromise. Unless you can give a reason why they are unsuitable for you then there is the danger of appearing selfish and the responses will increasingly become variations on the lines of "tough titty" *insert shrug here*

[quote name='SteveO' post='963513' date='Sep 21 2010, 03:40 PM']That's cool, I wasn't trying to imply that my experience was the same as yours, just that I didn't think it reasonable to ask that the wording of the site should be changed for my benefit. The fact that browsing at work is allowed for you doesn't change that you are asking everyone else to submit to a form of extra policing of the forum for your benefit.

I think people may be getting a little worked up that a few alternatives have been given, namely the orrible lofi version or the turning off of avatars (which would seem ideal) but you seem to not want to consider these, or at least not comment on them. I think they are a reasonable compromise. Unless you can give a reason why they are unsuitable for you then there is the danger of appearing selfish and the responses will increasingly become variations on the lines of "tough titty" *insert shrug here*[/quote]

I can't see where I've asked once for extra policies to be put into place or for anyone to change their current behaviour on the board for my personal benefit...? I've raised the topic for discussion and asked people to post their opinions on such images as well as clarification of the forum policy with regards to said images, bearing in mind their already stated policy that posts deemed to be sexist may be deleted.

The alternative browsing solutions suggested are ok but not ideal for the reasons that have been outlined previously in the thread, ie it's great to be able to identify users from their avatar etc...

[quote name='Dubs' post='963560' date='Sep 21 2010, 06:22 PM']I can't see where I've asked once for extra policies to be put into place or for anyone to change their current behaviour on the board for my personal benefit...? I've raised the topic for discussion and asked people to post their opinions on such images as well as clarification of the forum policy with regards to said images, bearing in mind their already stated policy that posts deemed to be sexist may be deleted.

The alternative browsing solutions suggested are ok but not ideal for the reasons that have been outlined previously in the thread, ie it's great to be able to identify users from their avatar etc...[/quote]

OK, glad thats cleared up. Apologies, but obviously I read an implied demand as such from your posts. Re-reading them objectively shows this not to be the case. *blush*

[quote name='SteveO' post='963583' date='Sep 21 2010, 04:43 PM']OK, glad thats cleared up. Apologies, but obviously I read an implied demand as such from your posts. Re-reading them objectively shows this not to be the case. *blush*[/quote]

Ok mate, no worries :)

[quote name='algmusic' post='960841' date='Sep 18 2010, 11:36 PM']An FHM wallpaper on an office computer, would get most people in trouble at work.[/quote]

Browsing a bass website would get most people in trouble at work. Get back to work and do what you're paid to do, not post on basschat.

[quote name='Toasted' post='966564' date='Sep 24 2010, 12:06 PM']Browsing a bass website would get most people in trouble at work. Get back to work and do what you're paid to do, not post on basschat.[/quote]

By a frankly stupid remark like that, it tells me you haven't read the thread properly and have missed the point and your response doesn't actually hold a as valid point.. Read the whole thread!!

[quote name='algmusic' post='966570' date='Sep 24 2010, 12:13 PM']By a frankly stupid remark like that, it tells me you haven't read the thread properly and have missed the point and your response doesn't actually hold a as valid point.. Read the whole thread!![/quote]

There's nothing stupid about my remark, and you calling it stupid is offensive. Maybe we should ban you from basschat so my boss doens't get offended when he reads your posts over my shoulder?

[quote name='Toasted' post='966641' date='Sep 24 2010, 01:17 PM']There's nothing stupid about my remark, and you calling it stupid is offensive. Maybe we should ban you from basschat so my boss doens't get offended when he reads your posts over my shoulder?[/quote]

You have just proved my point.

Off to another more interesting thread..