Why become a member? ×

Office-friendly avatars...?

Dubs

I like looking at scantily clad beautiful women as much as the next guy, but a few avatars have recently had me frantically scurrying for the mouse to scroll down the page incase my boss happens to look over my shoulder and get an eyeful of boobs or ass.

Just raising the question; what's appropriate and what's not? Afterall, this is a music forum...

EDIT: Spelling :)

Edited by Dubs

[quote name='peted' post='958699' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:22 PM']I have had to switch off avatars on my forum settings for this reason. I'd suggest anyone worried about this issue does the same.[/quote]

Well that's the point really - should we have to be worried about this on a music forum? There are other forums that I avoid during office hours because I know the content is all over the place and essentially un-modified, but should I have to worry about this with BC?!

[quote name='Truckstop' post='958703' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:24 PM']Wait, so your boss doesn't mind if you're not working in the first place?

Truckstop[/quote]

50/50 - depends on what's going on day to day, hour to hour etc. There are elements of the job that leave me hanging around for 5 or 10 minutes whilst I wait for files to copy and videos to render, so we either take a coffee break or browse the net.

I'm at work now (I tend to smash out four 12 hour days and have 3 days off over the weekend)...

[quote name='Dubs' post='958708' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:27 PM']Well that's the point really - should we have to be worried about this on a music forum? There are other forums that I avoid during office hours because I know the content is all over the place and essentially un-modified, but should I have to worry about this with BC?![/quote]

[quote name='peted' post='958699' date='Sep 16 2010, 07:22 PM']I have had to switch off avatars on my forum settings for this reason. I'd suggest anyone worried about this issue does the same.[/quote]

+1.

I've been viewing without avatars for a while for similar reasons.

I think it is a shame, though, as some people's avatars are worth seeing, and it helps to identify posters quickly when scrolling down the page, so instead I'm going to try just blocking those users whose avatars fall into the "sad old perv" category, so that their posts are no longer visible.

EDIT: OK, this doesn't work - if you block a user, you still get to see their avatar - it's just the text of the message that's blocked. Bugger. So it's a choice of missing out on all the good avatars, or having to put up with the pervy ones. Not very satisfactory.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='959296' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:50 AM']+1.

I've been viewing without avatars for a while for similar reasons.

I think it is a shame, though, as some people's avatars are worth seeing, and it helps to identify posters quickly when scrolling down the page, so instead I'm going to try just blocking those users whose avatars fall into the "sad old perv" category, so that their posts are no longer visible.[/quote]

I agree, I mean my boss can't see my computer so it doesn't matter but I do find it a bit sad TBH.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='959310' date='Sep 17 2010, 12:00 PM']I agree, I mean my boss can't see my computer so it doesn't matter but I do find it a bit sad TBH.[/quote]

How can you view without avatars?

I think it should be raised.. I do some work for charity and it wouldn't look good..

Where are the global moderators :-)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='959296' date='Sep 17 2010, 11:50 AM']I think it is a shame, though, as some people's avatars are worth seeing, and it helps to identify posters quickly when scrolling down the page...[/quote]

That's why it would be a shame to have to resort to the lofi site or turn avatars off. I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but apart from the inconvenience, I think it's hypocritical to moderate sexist posts and state that sexist topics should be avoided, then allow people to post topless pics as their avatar...

Can I post a frame of a Jenna Jameson XXX movie as my avatar, or is that taking it too far? Where's the line?

Edited by Dubs

[quote name='Dubs' post='959459' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:08 PM']That's why it would be a shame to have to resort to the lofi site or turn avatars off. I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but apart from the inconvenience, I think it's hypocritical to moderate sexist posts and state that sexist topics should be avoided, then allow people to post topless pics as their avatar...

Can I post a frame of a Jenna Jameson XXX movie as my avatar, or is that taking it too far? Where's the line?[/quote]

+1

to me it seems a shame that just cos a few people want to have possibly NSFW avatars, those people who might get into trouble for those avatars have to turn everybody's off.

seems a tad unfair to me.

if it was up to me i'd not have any NSFW avatars on the site, cos frankly i think theyre tacky, but that's just my view.

[quote name='ahpook' post='959509' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:38 PM']to me it seems a shame that just cos a few people want to have possibly NSFW avatars, those people who might get into trouble for those avatars have to turn everybody's off.

seems a tad unfair to me.

if it was up to me i'd not have any NSFW avatars on the site, cos frankly i think theyre tacky, but that's just my view.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Machines' post='959416' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:37 PM']For the ultimate in stealth browsing, use [url="http://basschat.co.uk/lofiversion/"]http://basschat.co.uk/lofiversion/[/url] :).[/quote]
Hey thats great! perfect for work and super fast for mobile browsing with slow connections.

There's probably a big link on the site index that I haven't noticed in the last 2 years isn't there. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='959527' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:55 PM']So who's avatar in particular is causing problems?

I've not noticed any that are particularly NSFW so I feel I'm missing out!

If you run an ad blocker then you should be able to add the URL of any avatars you don't want to see to the blocked list and then they'll be gone.[/quote]

I'm taking a guess here does NSFW mean Not Safe For Watching :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='959527' date='Sep 17 2010, 02:55 PM']I've not noticed any that are particularly NSFW so I feel I'm missing out![/quote]

amongst others...

Nothing to really cause much offence, but plenty to give the wrong idea with a glancing look.