Why become a member? ×

Bass lines that make the song

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='simon1964' post='110212' date='Dec 28 2007, 02:04 PM']Surprised Town Called Malice hasn't got a mention so far.

Another great line is Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello. I'm not sure who the bassist is, but it really underpins the song.

And has By The Way, RHCP been mentioned yet?

And another +1 for JJ Burnel[/quote]

We cover Oliver'sArmy in my band it's a nice bassline isn't it!
The Attractions bass player is Bruce Thomas He's done some cracking bass parts on that whole Armed Forces album. Accidents will happen is one of my faves.
a great player IMHO

Already mentioned - Money, Chain, Can't hurry love

Not yet mentioned in the Queen ones are "Want to break free" (which we do segued onto the end bit of Chain).

Boingy stuff - "Mr Soft" by Cockney Rebel

In the heavy section, "Paranoid" - adds the variation to the song while Iommi's guitar remains invariant

Disco stuff - "Just an illusion" by Imagination (Youtube has a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPuIpPYGXMM"]live version[/url]) - discotastic! Hang on, it must be jazz, the bassist is wearing a beret...

A bit longer ago - "Stand by me" by Ben E King

Absolutely vital for the song - "Fever" by Peggy Lee

• 2 months later...

Good times- Chic
Le Freak- Chic (the best 2 note bass "solo" ever surely)

Probably anything else with Bernard Edwards on it? (including Sister Sledge)

Cygnus X-1 book 1 , Rush. The song starts with a simple bass riff

Gimme a bullet AC/DC

Love Hungry man AC/DC

Just to prove Cliff Williams is not always doing straight 8s. (Mind he's good at it)

Dancing in the Moonlight (it's got me in it's spotlight) by Thin Lizzy

David H

[quote name='tauzero' post='110600' date='Dec 29 2007, 05:40 PM']Absolutely vital for the song - "Fever" by Peggy Lee[/quote]

Ab-so-lu-te-ly.

And: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OU7Nezg7Ls"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OU7Nezg7Ls[/url]

[quote name='Stag' post='110554' date='Dec 29 2007, 03:05 PM']Ummm, Hysteria by Muse...?[/quote]

I was waiting for someone to say that one! And Time Is Running Out aswell, also previously mentioned, although it's really the programmed synth which gives the depth in my opinion, as the bass is played clean. In all honesty, Wolstenholmes playing features very heavily in most of Muse's material, so you don't need to look for to find a stellar bassline!

[quote name='tauzero' post='110600' date='Dec 29 2007, 05:40 PM']Disco stuff - "Just an illusion" by Imagination (Youtube has a [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPuIpPYGXMM"]live version[/url]) - discotastic! Hang on, it must be jazz, the bassist is wearing a beret...[/quote]

Putting my bass geek hat on for a sec...

[attachment=6375:imaginat...I_bass_1.jpg]
Does anyone think the bass player miming or maybe playing a Wal MIDI bass?

[attachment=6376:imaginat...I_bass_2.jpg]
There looks to be a fairly chunky lead coming out of the instrument.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='156291' date='Mar 12 2008, 07:40 PM']Putting my bass geek hat on for a sec...

[attachment=6375:imaginat...I_bass_1.jpg]
Does anyone think the bass player miming or maybe playing a Wal MIDI bass?

[attachment=6376:imaginat...I_bass_2.jpg]
There looks to be a fairly chunky lead coming out of the instrument.[/quote]

I'm not certain but it seems live to me. As for thinking it's a chunky lead - it's difficult to be sure when you can't even count the number of hands he has, let alone count the number of fingers he has on his right hand.