Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

My old and new rigs.  I lucked in to the Scott Dixon 2x10 cabs on eBay last week, I’ll be selling the Ashdown rig once I’ve done a couple of gigs with the SD’s and they’ve passed the acceptance test.  My goal (aside from just GAS) was light weight, I’d bought the Ashdowns a few years ago for their low-ish weight, but they’re still heavy – luggage scales put the combo at 20.5kg (Ashdown claims 18kg) and the 1x15 cab is 17.4kg.  The Scott Dixons are 11.4kg each without the lids!  Bliss!

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Trying this new mic pre out with my power amp, as a possible new rig, as a change to my trusty Eden head. Really nice it sounds. 

Tried with all basses, and the Dingwall, which is my main bass, and favourite, sounds great. 

Bogart, which is my least favourite to play, sounds great through it too. 

Modulus, which is all singing and dancing with every possible combination of actives and coil taps, sounds far too polished for my taste. Though I’ve hardly played it since I bought it. 

6DCC187C-B56B-475E-B1C5-5ABA3D90B661.jpeg

58E8CCB3-4F9B-47E1-9999-0D6DF80020A3.jpeg

• Like 7

I've done a fairly substantial gear purge recently, goodbye to the two 115s and the AudioKinesis TC112AF that served me so well for eleven years. So I now have this DIY 110 job a local friend built:

Combo_5e.jpg.21cfbff65d6cd6e37e3217ec8fcc6078.jpg

It was built to fit a G-K MB500 head but I was gifted it without a head installed. The little Traynor SB-200H is a great fit for the semi-acoustic weekly jams I play. The tiltback wedge piece serves as a hinged access door to the amp's back panel and there's room for a couple of cables back there as well.

And then on the other end there's a new sheriff in town:

TC118AF_1.thumb.jpg.e9e281e7eb127158bcd2a16b7ffa5eb8.jpg

That's an AudioKinesis TC118AF, which also has a secondary back firing tweeter. Fairly big and absolutely huge sounding, but at 46Lbs it's an easy enough one hand carry over moderate distances, and balances well on the two side handles for longer schleps. I had been coveting one of these cabs for quite a few years and the owner of this one reached out to me when it didn't move locally for him. He happened to be driving within an hour of my place last week and I was able to go pick up without taking him more than a few minutes out of his way. My new tube amp should fit on top quite nicely once I finally get it all bolted together.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday’s rig. Bloody marvellous. I’ve been having valve amp pangs recently but using this over the course of 4 sets yesterday reminded me that I have much, much better gear than my talent deserves, and really don’t need glowing glass tubes.

37C984CD-249E-46B6-81B1-7EDF7578B0D7.thumb.jpeg.8eb473cc1781f5fc152d00b49d3df0f8.jpeg

• Like 11

On 22/05/2022 at 00:04, scalpy said:

Aside from the overhang issues, enjoyed borrowing a hi watt to pair with my db112s. Near as dammit mint 1972/3 100w for guitar, but was excellent as a bass amp. 

AF8B6F77-F6A9-4EC7-8AB6-5AC5D50FEC76.jpeg

Gorgeous amp

• Thanks 1

I did that on a regular gig we had on a tiiiiny stage in a City Centre pub: the stage was so small it was kinda forced on me, but the house speakers were a deal further forward, and the Rumble 100 on the window sill (with most of the bass dialled out) was a great monitor...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/03/2022 at 15:10, Kiwi said:

It wouldn't be that much of a deal for them to update the op amps they use and it wouldn't impact on the sound at all. Jazzyvee is probably right, they don't fix something that ain't broke.

I have a 1980 and a 2003 series bass and the op amps look different, the older bass has spider legs whilst the later is a plug and socket. They may be the same internally, but at least one of the reasons for the external power supply was because of the current draw which flattens the internal backup batteries in around 20hrs, so using the Psu gives full 36vdc to the bass so it's always operating at design spec voltage.

• Like 1

Used a GK MB210II combo for a while. 350watts in 2x10 speakers and 500 with extension.

Sounds great, very clear tone,but using the boost volume adds a nice bit of grit. It has a really nice look too,not too modern. I recently joined a rock covers band with  2 guitars, so bought a matching CX115 cab, to get the full 500 watts.

My one gripe is it's so damn heavy, so not sure how long I'll continue with this setup, but it really does sound great.

20220505_095938.jpg

20220331_195020.jpg

• Like 5